44 Mag, 240 gr, RNFP vs Keith Style

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I did a search thru the forum and made it to page 10 of 70 with no good results so forgive me if I'm bringing up an old topic. Either way, I'd like to get BS opinions on the differences of a 44 Mag 240 gr round nose flat point versus a 240 gr Keith style as a general woods load.

I'm trying to decide on if I really need to have different rounds for my 44 BH and Marlin lever or should I just keep the RNFP that can be used in both. The K-style did not cycle well at all thru the Marlin. I'm going to have some low power plinking loads ~6 gr Unique and some more significant 10 gr loads for either hunting or woods defense.

I know that Elmer Keith did a lot of work developing the Keith style lead bullet and proved its capabilities over the years. Is there that much difference for example in hunting between a K-style and RNFP round of the same weight and powder charge? Thanks...

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I think you'll get better results if you use a JSP or JHP for dual use in the revolver and lever action. If both of the bullets mentioned are lead, then the RNFP will feed better in the Marlin. Most Marlins will shoot cast better if the diameter of the bullet is at least 2 thousands over bore diameter as in a .431 diameter bullet over one sized to .429 . The RNFP should be just fine woods defense if cast fairly hard as in Lyman #2 alloy.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Cast bullets will work in your applications with either platform. What mold are you using for your RNFP? Some designs are more round than flat and may not be the best option for hunting (think cowboy action). Wider meplats tend to work better but are harder to cycle in some rifles. That said, it is still a 44 caliber. If the RN feeds reliably, you've worked out your alloy vs GC vs velocity issues and you can hit what you're aiming at then that 1 bullet should be all you need.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I would never use a round nose projectile in a lever gun.

RNFP bullets have been used since the old west. CASS use them in competition all the time because they feed reliably. They arent pointed. Some just have a wider nose than others. If chain fires were an issue we'd be hearing all about the dangerous sport and the dead or maimed wanna-be cowboys.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    RNFP designates a rounded ogive with a flat point. The flat point being the key feature here as it relates to tubular magazine safety. It is certainly safe to use. As far as performance on game animals, the Keith style bullet has a proven history of excellent performance on game animals even down to very low velocities. The jacketed RNFP usually requires more velocity to properly expand

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Round nose Flat Point or SWC ( flat point) ...Six of one half a dozen of the other. They both have a flat meplate, so stick with the one that feeds through the Marlin and can be used in the Ruger. A deer wouldn't know the difference if hit in the same spot. Just use a design that has decent sized flat spot not one that is tiny. I'm sure Mr Keith would approve.

Last edited:

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Both of the cast bullets come from Missouri bullets. The RNFP is the Smasher and the Keith style is the Elmer K. Both have a nice large flat up front.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Unless the pictures are throwing me off, the Meplat for the RNFP is a bit smaller. I'd think that'd make some difference. The Keith wasn't really designed for lever guns.... though maybe a good smith might be able to tune it to run on them.

I think you have other options that might get you the wider Meplat, but cycle in a lever gun. I didn't look close at the Missouri Bullets options, but they don't seem to offer as many options. You might look at Beartooth or Cast Performance.

A little heavier than the 240, but this might be a good option. They say it cycles well in lever guns. :D

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/details.php?id=121

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    The BS opinion would be "what works for you?"
    I find the Keith SWC to be more accurate, but that doesn't mean that the RNFP won't meet your demands.
    If the RNFP works in your revolver fine, then you are good to go.
    Is it really that hard to get a SWC to work in a carbine?
    If you have not tried either bullet in either gun, then get a few of each and try them out.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Geauxfish, I'll have to look later, but I think I have severah hundred of each style cas from wheelweights, with Tin added, and water dropped. They are hard. I've been using BB in my ASTRA INOX 44 and Rossi 92.

Top Bottom