.44 Mag with IMR 4227

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I went to the shooting range yesterday to test out 44 mag loads in a break action 44 mag 22" barrel. The brass was mixed, some new with some fired. The bullets were 240 gr Hornady XTP and powder was IMR 4227. OAL were all 1.605 +/- 0.002.

My goal was to set up a hunting load that could be used in this specific rifle that could be used reliably at 100 yards up to no more than 125 yards. Looking at various sources, I made 4 different loads with the IMR 4227. I was hoping that the highest of the loads (which was still almost 1 grain under max) would be the most accurate in order to get the best engergy delivered to target.

After shooting 10 rounds of each (letting the barrel cool every 4 shots or so), it was clear that the lightest load was the most accurate in this rifle. The calculated muzzle velocity is somewhere near 1450 fps. Zeroing at 100 yards should give about +1.8" at 50, and -3.1" at 125. The highest load should be about 1650 fps muzzle so there is a pretty good difference. Granted, these are only calcualted numbers. Even with a good wind, I was able to get under a 2" group with the lowest, and about 4" with the heaviest at 100 yards.

Is it just normal that a particular rifle will just shoot a particular load better than others? I'm still looking for some H110 or 2400 unsuccessfully. I have a lb of Lil'Gun that I'm going to make up next. But, I'm concerned that the velocities will drop off even more.

Any suggestions on how to get the grouping tightened up with the higher velocity? Of course, I will still be looking for the H110/W296 powder. Thanks.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Try to find some Alliant 300mp, it's supposed to be better than H110/W296, for 44 mag, 45 colt, and .410; If not H110/W296 is good but must be loaded to max; I like 2400 for versatillity

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    i have use unique and the 2400 the 2400 worked best in my Handy rifle 20in but in my ruger super black 7.5in the unique was best with the 240gr JHP

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Bjeepin2, that's a good idea. I tried Unique in a 44 lever action and had some trouble ejecting the spent brass. I thought that the brass was bulging. But now thinking about it, I have trouble ejecting brass from that rifle with other loads. I probably need to go back and reload a few more with Unique and give it a try. I don't remember the velocity estimates with Unique, but I can look it up (at least for the revolver, I'll have to estimate some increase for the rifle).

Top Bottom