.45 A.C.P. and hogs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIG1LOST

Displaced Montanan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Pineville
    My patch is way too thick to use my .308 plus I want something for CCW,can't afford to pay money at this time,so I am thinkin' to trade my German made .308 for a good .45 auto.A 50foot shot is A L O N G shot where I pursue porky....is the A.C.P. up to it ya think :confused:?

THANKS for input

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    There is a video on BS currently where Kyle Lamb killed a hog with a 9mm pistol.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Shot Placement.

And penetration. Whatever caliber you use, you need the right bullet. Hollow points need enough speed to mushroom (if it even does). For an autoloader, you have ball and hollow points as options.... HPs would likely work better.... the more weight and speed the better.

Speaking for a pure hunting perspective, I'd prefer a .357 Mag with some 180 grain Wide Flat Nose Lead type bullets..... or even better something big bore with that type of bullet at a heavier weight.... Those will do a great job crushing and pushing bone through organs while making two holes. The big bore guns would be harder to CC.

Last edited:

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    In a .45 ACP, I'd want to use hard cast lead bullets for hogs. Max penetration. Doubletap has some loaded ammo that will work.

MyBabyDaddy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    If I didnt have the handgun yet, and were still in the shopping/consideration stage, I'd think hard about the Glock 20 in 10mm.

There's a guy on YouTube who has his own channel, he goes around hunting with Glock's . He dropped a real nice buck at something like 75 yards with a Glock 20.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    If I didnt have the handgun yet, and were still in the shopping/consideration stage, I'd think hard about the Glock 20 in 10mm.

There's a guy on YouTube who has his own channel, he goes around hunting with Glock's . He dropped a real nice buck at something like 75 yards with a Glock 20.

Was there any hog left? :draw:

Killed my last hog at 25 yards with my Glock 20 (10mm).
    Dead Right There

I figured using the 10mm would instantly turn the pig into fried pig skins and bacon on a platter, with a side of hog's head cheese.

I'm tempted to give my G20 a shot at some swine. I have no doubt about it, or the G21 being able to handle it.

I am quite sure a .45ACP will do the job. .32-20 was once a common round for everything from pigs, to deer, to coyotes. Shot placement, as previously mentioned, is always the key. Well, unless you are using .44mag or a .454, or a .480, or a .460, or a .500SW. Then you can shoot them in the tail and take them down, and probably the rest of their pack from the muzzle blast.
    :dogkeke:

BIG1LOST

Displaced Montanan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Pineville
    I forgot about my old S&W .38 HD with the kieth loads,( that I got from him personaly btw...),but that wheeler is WWAAAYYYY to heavy for C.C.;I know it will do for porky...but for carry.....NO WAY !!!.

Top Bottom