45 colt or 44 special

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I've decided to go with the .45 colt. I found 200rds of 45 colt brass, bullets, and large pistol primers locally, so I picked em up.

On another note, I decided to try to find a Lee die set for the 45colt. Called all over the US...can't find one. Lol! I know there are other brands of dies, but these seem pretty good for the price. What do you use?

I appreciate and enjoy everyone's input.

Last edited:

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    Also....Bisley grip or ol' plow handle? 4 5/8" or 5.5"? What do you prefer?

I had a single six and didnt mind the plow handle. Of course, there is no recoil to deal with. Never held the Bisley grip.

I definitely like the 4 5/8, but the 5.5 is growing on me. I dont think it will be carried much, but if I like it as much as I think I will, you never know! Lol!

Last edited:

maadi47

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    zachary,la
    I have a blackhawk convertible 45 acp / 45 colt. 4 5/8 blued. I definitely love it. Picked it up from Bud's gunshop for 509 shipped a few months ago. I got it for the 45 acp

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Also....Bisley grip or ol' plow handle? 4 5/8" or 5.5"? What do you prefer?

I had a single six and didnt mind the plow handle. Of course, there is no recoil to deal with. Never held the Bisley grip.

I definitely like the 4 5/8, but the 5.5 is growing on me. I dont think it will be carried much, but if I like it as much as I think I will, you never know! Lol!

Plow handle is fine, but under heavy loads it might be an issue. I'm hoping to sell my S&W in order to fund a Bisley Blackhawk. I'd like to load it up.... and evenutally, I would like to have Linebaugh work it over.

Someone here was selling a Uberti with cylinders for 45 colt and acp IIRC. It was a nice looking gun for not alot of coin. You can do alot with the ability to load either, esp if you have another 45 auto. It gives you more options.

Uberti makes some nice guns, you can't load them hot though. The other issue is if you are going to play with loads.... the Ubertis are designed like the old west guns and don't come with adjustable sights like the Blackhawk. Still, they make some beautiful old school six shooters.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I'm partial to the plow handle. It points well for me and isnt uncomfortable with magnum loads. I also use mostly Lee dies. I havent had problems with them yet. They're price makes them very attractive but some ppl look at them as entry level dies. I dont know how many rounds it would take to wear one out but the cost makes them a good value for low to moderate volume reloading.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    @Gus...I have my eye on the 5.5" stainless Bisley...sweet lookin iron!

I'd really like a blued one in that length, but the blued ones are all 7.5 inch. Here is what I'd really like:

MM_500LG.jpg

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I like that! The solid cylinder looks cool! Always liked a blue revolver with nice wood grips.

I guess you could get a 7.5" and have it cut down.

Last edited:

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    If you'd get a plow handle, is it possible to change the grip frame to a Bisley grip frame? Are the parts available through aftermarket or factory?

Another thing I've noticed...I haven't seen a factory 4 5/8" Bisley.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If you'd get a plow handle, is it possible to change the grip frame to a Bisley grip frame? Are the parts available through aftermarket or factory?

Another thing I've noticed...I haven't seen a factory 4 5/8" Bisley.

It can be done, but it ain't cheap. It would be cheaper to buy a Bisley and have it modded like you want instead of spending the money to convert it. It's like $100 just for the grip frame which has to be fitted and finished after you buy it.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Do all Blackhawks have an aluminum grip frame? I mean other than the stainless guns

I saw a stainless Blackhawk Flat top convertible 45 listed for sale, and in the ad it said it had a midsized frame. Would this still be able to handle the hotter loads?

Here is a link....http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUKNVB-44X

Ruger Blackhawk Grip Frames are generally steel or stainless. Some of the early ones were not, but those are rare. As long as it's not a "New Model Vaquero" it's a plenty strong gun and will handle the hot loads.

I'll be honest though, I don't think .45 Colt even needs to be loaded up all that hot. The original load was for a 250 gr bullet at 900 fps. From Linebaugh's page:

I have personally taken about 10 antelope and 1 mule deer with a .45 Colt. My wife has taken around 6 antelope and 5 mule deer with her .45 Colt. She uses a 4 3/4" Seville and the handload is a 260 Keith cast at 900 fps. This load will shoot lengthwise of antelope and mule deer at 100 yards. In my estimation it kills as well as the .270, 30-06 class rifles if the shots are placed properly. If I were hunting heavier game I'd step up the velocity to 1200 fps and in extreme circumstances, (elk, hogs, bear) go to the 310 gr cast slug. This load, 310 at 1200 will go through elk like so much air. These loads can be managed by anyone who is serious about handgunning big game. My wife is 5' 1" and goes about 100 lbs with her gun on. She likes the power the .45 gives her with a minimum of recoil and blast. She has hunted with me for 15 years now and is a very serious handgun shooter. I think the .45 Colt has a lot to do with this as it gives her big bore power without big bore recoil and blast. My sons also shoot the .45 Colt a lot and I had the pleasure to watch my oldest son at age 14 take a nice mule deer buck this year with a 5 1/2" Colt SAA at about 90 yards range. The load, 260 Keith at 900 fps. Its plain, no bells or whistles, but it works every time.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I appreciate everyone's input. It's been very helpful!

Gus..I read that whole article of the clip you sent. It was pretty informative!

Took a ride w/ my dad and a friend to the Kenner show. Not many Blackhawks. Most were 357s and 44mags. There were 2 Blackhawks convertibles, a 4 5/8 & 5.5", that were priced at $689. Thought that was a little high. While looking at them, an individual says he has a Blackhawk in 45 colt for sale. I asked if he had it with him. He pulls it out and says the trigger has been slicked up, action tuned, cylinders reamed by a gunsmith, wearing a pair of black Micarta grips. He says he hasn't fired it too much. He was right....the action was super smooth, trigger was excellent, cylinder locked up tight, gun was in perfect shape!

Well, negotiated a price and I pulled the trigger! Will put some rounds through it tomorrow and see how it shoots!

ADBF0C23-A4CA-4771-80BD-7060F46CECEE-197-00000038B10BC4CA_zps6e504503.jpg

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    Yeah. That's what I thought, base upon what I've seen online lately. Then, you'd have to add tax to that, which would put it well over 7 bills.

I didnt steal this one, but think I got a decent deal. Not super cheap, but no tax or paperwork is always a plus. I hate paying tax on a firearm...or on anything else for that matter. Lol!!

If I like it as much as I think I will, there will be another to follow this one! There were a couple 44mag Bisley hunters there, and that is an awesome piece as well. I may have to be on the lookout for one in 45 colt! Lol

Last edited:
    Top Bottom