45 degree off set mounts with mbus

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I recently bought some 45 degree mounts from Gg&g to mount my magpul mbus on because I am running a fixed nikon p 223 3x32 on the phone series mounts. I am thinking of cutting down one of the mounts a hair in order to fit the mbus without hitting the scope only problem is where I would like to put it the Turrets are in the way and I have to move the scope up a ways which screws up my sight picture. This is the first that I've fooled with the optics on it other than using open sights.

To sum it up I want to try to avoid any more cost until I know what I am working with and if I should ditch the p series mounts and go taller.

Also the rifle is a Colt 6920 socom carbine

LouisianaGunny

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I just set up an Armalite with a P223. Instead of running BUIS, I mounted a Bushnell red dot. I set the red dot up on the left side of the scope. This did two things;
    1) offset the mounting screw to the opposite side of the scope from the windage turrett
    2) Lets the spent casing throw down instead of throwing it up in the air

I've heard people go both ways on this. Realistically, you can train yourself to cant the weapon to the left 45 degrees just as easily as canting to the right. It's the practice that you put in that makes either side effective. I don't see why this wouldn't work for your BUIS.

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    Understand your dilemma, but my fix was simpler and cheaper. Since they are essentially back up sights, I went with something cheap that works and holds zero, metal sights that were already equipped with an offset mount. Got them off Amazon (yeah, I know, but they do work and look good).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3EY1VS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll find my review of them there.
    And I am using the P223 mount and 3x32 scope. The rear sight mount won't go right up against the scope mount, but it gets real close.
    Oh, and I shoot long guns left handed, so the sights were mounted on the left. Works just as well on that side.

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I just set up an Armalite with a P223. Instead of running BUIS, I mounted a Bushnell red dot. I set the red dot up on the left side of the scope. This did two things;
    1) offset the mounting screw to the opposite side of the scope from the windage turrett
    2) Lets the spent casing throw down instead of throwing it up in the air

I've heard people go both ways on this. Realistically, you can train yourself to cant the weapon to the left 45 degrees just as easily as canting to the right. It's the practice that you put in that makes either side effective. I don't see why this wouldn't work for your BUIS.

Is your rifle Carbine length?

I played with it a little more last night and ended up putting both sights on the front rail. I haven't tried putting them on the left yet.

I was able to fit it by the front end of the scope but when I tried to attach the scope the 45 degree mount gets in the way.

Anyone know how to upload a pic from a phone? If so I can put up some pictures.

Top Bottom