45 SBR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OtterBob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    West Monroe
    Getting ready to order a 45 acp barrel for my single shot Thompson Pro Hunter. Trying to figure out what barrel length to get. The company can build it from 8 inches to 28 inches. My goal is to suppress it and to make it as quiet as possible. Any thoughts?

OtterBob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    West Monroe
    I'm not that worried about the OAL of the gun. My concern is that a 45 shot suppressed from a 1911 is loud, unless shot wet. So I'm curious to know if it's shot from a longer barrel, would it be quieter?

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In general, .45 ACP is inherently subsonic*. You will be alleviating a lot of escaped gas by moving to a single shot versus a blow-back operated pistol, so the noise reduction will be significant.

Physics would suggest that a longer barrel would be quieter, but I can't imagine there will be a discernible difference with that set-up.

My personal suggestion would be to place more focus on ballistics and OAL, instead of chasing decibels.

EDIT: * .45 ACP is generally subsonic when fired from a pistol. When you start getting into longer barrels, it will increase velocity up to a certain point.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I'm not that worried about the OAL of the gun. My concern is that a 45 shot suppressed from a 1911 is loud, unless shot wet. So I'm curious to know if it's shot from a longer barrel, would it be quieter?

Well first off it should be much more quiet due to the fact that the action is not opening allowing gases to escape like on a semi auto platform. Most full size 1911s feature a ~5" barrel....Another factor that should keep db down is the addition of 3" in barrel length (if you go with the 8" barrel). That's a good bit more good for those space and time for those gases to expand and dissipate before exiting the suppressor's baffle stack. Im no physicist or engineer so feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

EDIT:

JCcypress beat me to it! lol.

Fact of the matter is...it will be hearing safe no matter what. If you want less noise buy some custom loaded ammo with a heavier/slower moving projectile.

Last edited:

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    Well first off it should be much more quiet due to the fact that the action is not opening allowing gases to escape like on a semi auto platform. Most full size 1911s feature a ~5" barrel....Another factor that should keep db down is the addition of 3" in barrel length (if you go with the 8" barrel). That's a good bit more good for those space and time for those gases to expand and dissipate before exiting the suppressor's baffle stack. Im no physicist or engineer so feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

EDIT:

JCcypress beat me to it! lol.

Fact of the matter is...it will be hearing safe no matter what. If you want less noise buy some custom loaded ammo with a heavier/slower moving projectile.

actually, if you want less noise, buy a delisle. :D

e67aa413-153f-4714-8b19-a6d8337dae54_zpsqitorlmw.jpg

Top Bottom