5.45 A few questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Ello forum

Recently I have been doing alot of research on my next purchase of some type of AK, I've been reading about the 5.45 chambered variants but there seems to be alot of contradictory info out there for them. What is everyones personal experiences with the 5.45 round and how does it relate to the more common 5.56 and 7.62russian rounds. Anyways thanks in advance

--winter

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    5.45 is a slammin round!

Just try and avoid US barreled guns and kits unless you know it has a true and properly chambered 5.45 barrel.

Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Skywlkr would the arsenal series of rifles be correct. what about all this I keep hearing about corrosive ammo and such destroying guns?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    And will 5.45 continue to stay common or is the general belief that its gonna dry up?

It may dry up...

You never know.

BUT:

It's cheap enough to stockpile (Personally I don't care if they never import another round... I've got 10 years + worth of shooting put back)

Hornady is making ammo now.

Wolf is importing non-corossive

IIRC there's another source out there somewhere.

I wouldn't make it my 'only AK'... but for training...

Get it.

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    5.45 is a slammin round!

Just try and avoid US barreled guns and kits unless you know it has a true and properly chambered 5.45 barrel.

A lot of those problems have been solved. When the barrel import ban hit there was a lot of bad barrels out there, but the problem seems to have worked itself out now.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Not true nick, there are still plenty of bad barrelled tantal's out there as century would nto take them back or fix them. They keep getting passed around till someone gets stuck with one and replaces the barrell. Now the new 545 junk gun is the Lancaster Rough Rider. They had a bunch of barrells with small shanks. To fix this they have been knurling the shank so it swells in the trunion or tack welding it to the trunion.

If you want a good 545 ak, get a kit with the original barrell and have it built, get a Saiga and have it converted or not, or buy a quality upper end ak from Arsenal, Red Jacket, etc.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    +1

Not true nick, there are still plenty of bad barrelled tantal's out there as century would nto take them back or fix them. They keep getting passed around till someone gets stuck with one and replaces the barrell. Now the new 545 junk gun is the Lancaster Rough Rider. They had a bunch of barrells with small shanks. To fix this they have been knurling the shank so it swells in the trunion or tack welding it to the trunion.

If you want a good 545 ak, get a kit with the original barrell and have it built, get a Saiga and have it converted or not, or buy a quality upper end ak from Arsenal, Red Jacket, etc.

Top Bottom