5.45 Ar

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Shreveport
    ive heard they were fairly finicky. LWRC is a great company and if any were to work it would be theirs, but Ive never read any 100% reviews on one

tecate321

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Leesville
    I had a S&W one, it was fun to shoot. But the down side is that the corrosive ammo shits salts in your eye due to the bolt carrier letting the gases go out near your face, (standard AR design). My suggestion is is your set on it, buy a piston conversion kit and it will eliminate that problem.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a AK74 and would love to buy an inexpensive 5.45 upper. The potential problem I see is that I don't know of any domestic sources of ammunition. To the best of my knowledge it's all Russian.

Dave

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I have a AK74 and would love to buy an inexpensive 5.45 upper. The potential problem I see is that I don't know of any domestic sources of ammunition. To the best of my knowledge it's all Russian.

Dave

in 2007 I took several training classes, ran through over 15K rounds.

It was pointed out to me that a the prices of the time, if I replaced the AK47 ammo with AK74 ammo and bought a rifle and dozen mags... I could THROW AWAY the rifle and mags when I was out of ammo and still save money (And obviously they were still worth something).

I'd do this same calculation and make your decision at current prices.

As to ammo availability...

buy enough ammo NOW to cover the parts.... buy the upper (If you do) later.

Run the numbers and let them decide.

whitjct

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Rhode Island
    in 2007 I took several training classes, ran through over 15K rounds.

It was pointed out to me that a the prices of the time, if I replaced the AK47 ammo with AK74 ammo and bought a rifle and dozen mags... I could THROW AWAY the rifle and mags when I was out of ammo and still save money (And obviously they were still worth something).

I'd do this same calculation and make your decision at current prices.

As to ammo availability...

buy enough ammo NOW to cover the parts.... buy the upper (If you do) later.

Run the numbers and let them decide.

Sound Logic...

I bit the bullet..... picked up a new lwrc 5.45 upper for 820$ shipped. Thought it was a pretty fair deal.

Now hunting mags and ammo. With the price of .223 right now I think it will pay for itself in the near future....appreciate the input guys.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I wasn't referring to the ammunition prices. I meant this. One source of ammunition. Imported. It wouldn't take much for one source to be stopped. Versus. 5.56 which has many sources.

Dave

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I wasn't referring to the ammunition prices. I meant this. One source of ammunition. Imported. It wouldn't take much for one source to be stopped. Versus. 5.56 which has many sources.

Dave

I have over 40,000 rounds of 5.45 remaining... Good luck cutting that off...

My point is that. Buy enough that the gun is free through cost savings, after that, ammo supply doesn't matter.

Oh, and 5.45 is being made in the US.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Sound Logic...

I bit the bullet..... picked up a new lwrc 5.45 upper for 820$ shipped. Thought it was a pretty fair deal.

Now hunting mags and ammo. With the price of .223 right now I think it will pay for itself in the near future....appreciate the input guys.

Where did you get the upper

Top Bottom