5.56 / 6.5 / 6.8 - Halp!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kdick3

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey guys,

I have a dilemma. I currently have a carbine length AR-15 chambered in 5.56 (that I'm quite proud of! It was my first build and is one sexy beast).

I have acquired parts to begin another build (Before they try to ban those scary flash-hiders and pistol grips!) but I'm torn about which caliber. I want something that is typically readily available (under normal circumstances... I.E. not OMG THEY ARE TAKING OUR GUNS circumstances) and a caliber that is comparable in price so I can afford to stock up on ammo and shoot it.

I've heard great things about both the 6.5 grendel and the 6.8 SPC but I'm not sure if I'll be able to really obtain and afford the ammo. For cost effectiveness and availability I was thinking another 5.56... But like all good "investors", I want to add a little diversity in my portfolio!

I also like the idea of a little larger of a round to play with than the 5.56.

Does anyone have any input? Under normal circumstances (where 5.56 is $0.40 - $0.50 / round) what does the 6.5 / 6.8 run? And is it pretty available in bulk military surplus like the 5.56 is normally?

KvichakKing

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Walker, LA
    You're not going to find any other caliber ammo as cheap to shoot as 5.56 unless you're willing to shoot 7.62x39 which during non-freakshow times is more affordable than 5.56.
    Magazines and occasionally BCG's can be found right now, just not for a reasonable price.
    What you could do is go with the 6.8SPC and wait for things to calm down, then buy your components and start rolling your own.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Had the same thoughts as OP about a year ago. Never did anything though... I had decided to go with a bolt gun in .308 but hadn't found exactly what I wanted at a price I could afford (kimber Montana was my first choice. Ruger Frontier was a distant second. Budge was saying Ruger American though!)

Now I'm looking at the shelves in Academy and wondering if I should go with .243 or 7mm or .30/06.

davidky

Navy Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Shreveport
    I was in a similar quandary. I purchased a 300 blkout upper and never fired it because there wasnt any ammo around. I traded it for a 6.8spc II. I love it. The ammo is usually available at the gun shows but now have enough to reload. Since it shoots .277 dia bullets, the same as a 270 win. the bullets are easy to find. I wouldnt trade it for anything. Out to around 400 yds it out performs the 6.5 grendel. If I shoot past that it will be with a .308. The 6.8 is good for hogs and deer out to about 250 yards.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I went with the 6.5 Grendel mostly because I have never been a .277 fan, but really you could just flip a coin between the two and be happy. What I enjoy most about my Grendel is I have been able to witness (thru the scope) the shot impact of every animal I killed with it. I had never done that with any of my magnum bolt guns I hunted with. I also wanted a lightweight ar15 to hunt with, so that's what I got.

To answer your other question, I paid $25/box of 20 for Hornaday Amax's here in Lafayette prior to the panic. I haven't seen it in stores since, but I ain't seein' much else I shoot either. I do reload and only need the dies to start rolling my own. Unfortunately, they aren't readilly available right now either. One other advantage the Grendel has is you can use 7.62x39 brass to form the Grendel if you get in a pinch for brass.

jdhunt3

The LeatherMeister!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I built a 6.8 Remington SPC last year and I'm very happy with it. The best ammunition that I have found is made by Silver State Armory, and runs from $19.00 to $37.00 for a box of 20 rounds depending on the bullet used. I have done some extensive reloading with the round, and wrote two articles for the LSA Newsletter. You can download the newsletters from the website. I have found that the 110 Gr. Nosler AccuBond is fantastic for deer and hogs, as is the 110 Gr. Barnes TTSX. The 110 Gr. Sierra SP is a little soft for hogs, but works okay on deer.

Top Bottom