.50 Beowuf

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lamuskrat

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    French Settlement, La
    Getting ready to do my second AR15 build. Last one was std 5.56 on a plum crazy lower and it ran flawlessly (JSE Surplus upper). Now I just purchased the New Frontier lower and was wanting something different, so i was contemplating a .50 Beowuf. Have already contact JoeBob Outfitters and they said the upper would fit and run but said the buffer spring would have to be upgraded and possibly the assembly pins but that was just a suggestion.
    Can anyone here give me some pros/cons/suggestions about this set-up and build. Granted it won't be a comp target gun but it will definitely do as a defensive weapon when things go in the toilet with world events as they are.

Ammo availabilty? Equip wear n tear?

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I wasn't impressed at all. I don't have any kind of data to give you other than its heavy, and sluggish I guess
    decide I wouldn't own one. What are you wanting to do with it?

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Look at "all" the suppliers for the ammo, that'll probably change your mind.

Brass for the 50 is cheaper as well.

But the actual bullets are about 5 times more (for the cheap lead plinking stuff).

Most of the copper jacketed stuff is well over a dollar a pop for the 50 where the 458 can be had closer to half that.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The first question you should ask yourself is, "To what bloody end?"

The cartridge will punch holes through intermediate barriers-- including engine blocks, which IIRC, was what it was designed to do.

That's about it for the list of perks, when you consider the countless other options out there-- all of which are cheaper, most of which are more available, some of which are quite popular, and none of which are reduced to such a niche role (including the 6.5 Grendel).

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Lamuskrat,

I have a Beowulf; the AA upper will fit any milspec lower with no changes. I had the upper on a couple of different lowers before I got around to building a dedicated lower for it. I did replace the buffer spring with a Tubb silicon spring and added their bolt carrier weight, which solved the few feeding problems I was having.

For bullets I use Rainier 334 plated HP’s, they feed great through unmodified AR-15/M-16 magazines and they aren’t (weren’t) that expensive. Some other bullets require you to relieve the front of the mag a bit (1/4 to 3/8”). I have found the 20 round magazines work best & hold seven rounds. Stay away from the plastic mags, the lips will spread and not hold in the right angle.

Starline makes brass now, so that isn’t an issue unlike the 458 round.

I did have some difficulty reloading it at first, but once I learned the tricks it’s been clear sailing since. My upper is a fairly early one and I suspect it might have a tight chamber. Actually, that’s how I got the upper cheap. The guy I bought it from didn’t size or length trim the virgin brass and they wouldn’t chamber.

Reloading dies? Get them from CH4D, period. As this is a tapered case (like .30 Carbine) it takes a bit if force to size them so you will need some very good lube. I use Imperial case sizing wax, works great.

I know it’s a long drive, but if you get up to the Shreveport area, give me a holler and you can try mine and see if you like the Beowulf before you start the project.

Also, with an EoTEc 512 zeroed at 100 yards, we were hitting the dinger at 400 yards a good bit of the time. With a magnified scope on top I firmly believe it would have been 100% hits. Those that think this is just a 100 yards gun are wrong.

Doug

Last edited:

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    I'm thinking that polymere trigger wont last long on a 50 beo.I do not have experience with the polys.
    But I have read many forums and as far as the trigger assembly's in them,they will not with stand
    much more than a 556 round.

I'm not sure about how much recoil you would have with a poly lower and a 50 upper,but I personally
    would not want such a nice upper on such a low end lower.JMHO

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I think a Beowulf upper on a poly lower is a really bad idea. I built up a DPMS lower for my. I did add a Limbsaver recoil pad to the butt plate, it makes life more bearable. One of these days I’ll add a good muzzle brake.

A friend keeps wanting me to put my upper on his select fire lower. My Mamma didn't raise that big of a fool!

Doug

lamuskrat

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    French Settlement, La
    Thank you for all the info and insight. I think I will hold off till I get better acquainted and educated about this round. Seems like the census here is, it is a beast of a gun and needs to be done properly or it will not be well or safe and definitely not cheap to run.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom