50 yard parallax hindrance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How big of a hindrance will sighting in at 100yd and potentially shooting out to 200yds be, with a scope with a preset parallax free at 50yd be?

Currently using a scope with a preset parallax free at 100yd, and doing well with it at 100yds.

This will be in a hunting scenario, not competition. The scope in question is a Burris 1.75-5x20.

A quick, not that big of a deal, or your F'ed will do.:) Thanks fellers.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Most of the world doesn't know there is the possibility of an issue there.

I have 2 Scopes that are PA and if I'm within 100 yards on the adjustment it helps, but that's about it.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    If you're shooting a hunting caliber not much. If you zero at 100 yards I'd guess 2-3 in low at 50 and 200 depending on the caliber. Many sight in their rifle 2" high at 100 yards so they can use point of aim on anything between 50 and 200 yards; for a deer sized target.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Most of the world doesn't know there is the possibility of an issue there.

I have 2 Scopes that are PA and if I'm within 100 yards on the adjustment it helps, but that's about it.

Thanks, that's what I figured. Looking to keep the weight down on my rifle and moving to the opposite end of the spectrum. Done the higher magnification thing and want to try the lower power variables for hunting, practical shooting, and weight savings. But don't want to use what is essentially a rimfire, shotgun, muzzle loader scope without knowing what I'm getting into.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    If you're shooting a hunting caliber not much. If you zero at 100 yards I'd guess 2-3 in low at 50 and 200 depending on the caliber. Many sight in their rifle 2" high at 100 yards so they can use point of aim on anything between 50 and 200 yards; for a deer sized target.

Not quite what he was asking for. Parallax and bullet drop are two COMPLETELY different things.

If you really want to see how much a fixed parallax scope can be off if you don't have a consistent head placement then look through it at 200yds and move your head around. Note how much the reticle moves on a target and that will be your range of impact. I doubt it will be outside the kill zone for whitetail deer. However, like Log Island said, the more you practice keeping your eye in the center of the tube with consistent cheek pressure and form, the less parallax misalignment will affect you.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not quite what he was asking for. Parallax and bullet drop are two COMPLETELY different things.

If you really want to see how much a fixed parallax scope can be off if you don't have a consistent head placement then look through it at 200yds and move your head around. Note how much the reticle moves on a target and that will be your range of impact. I doubt it will be outside the kill zone for whitetail deer. However, like Log Island said, the more you practice keeping your eye in the center of the tube with consistent cheek pressure and form, the less parallax misalignment will affect you.

Thank you sir. I've noticed this to be true in just getting a decent group on paper @ 100yd. I know what I've asked in kids play for ya'll, but I sure appreciate the responses.

Ritten, if you had the choice between fixed 50yd parallax, or fixed 100yd parallax, knowing you'd be shooting 100yds or better, what would you choose?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Thank you sir. I've noticed this to be true in just getting a decent group on paper @ 100yd. I know what I've asked in kids play for ya'll, but I sure appreciate the responses.

Ritten, if you had the choice between fixed 50yd parallax, or fixed 100yd parallax, knowing you'd be shooting 100yds or better, what would you choose?

On a centerfire rifle, and all other factors being equal, 100yd parallax. I'd probably go with 50yd for a .22lr though.

On a side note, I just bought two Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 for my H&R "primitive hunting" rifle and a DPMS G2 308. Those scopes are fixed parallax and I have no idea at what distance. Other factors play a much bigger part in my optics decisions.

Last edited:

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    On a centerfire rifle, and all other factors being equal, 100yd parallax. I'd probably go with 50yd for a .22lr though.

On a side note, I just bought two Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 for my H&R "primitive hunting" rifle and a DPMS G2 308. Those scopes are fixed parallax and I have no idea at what distance. Other factors play a much bigger part in my optics decisions.

So I gather from your side note that overall technique is far more important?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom