500lbs of gun safe

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pete70056

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Gretna, La
    Is it worth do it yourself purchase/install? Vs. Delivery in house? Suggestions or recommendations to Gretna?
    Thanks to those that have done it either way.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    It may sound like a lot but a 500lb safe is nothing. You could move that with a standard dolly and two people. If you can take off the door then it will be a piece of cake.

Edit - Duhon's on Terry Parkway has some nice Liberty safes every time I am there. It might be a good place to start looking.

Last edited:

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Is your house on the ground like at ground level? Bringing it up steps is the worst part. If your house is built on the ground they are pretty easy to move around with a decent dolly. My house is built right at 40 inches off the ground so bringing it up the steps damn near killed me but wasn't impossible. If I would have had a second person to help it wouldn't have been bad at all. Once you get it inside it slides fairly easy across the floor with a blanket under it.

pete70056

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Gretna, La
    My house in single story and not too terribly high over grade. I actually have done business with Duhons as they re-keyed all my locks, on the last 3 houses I bought. I did not think about them in regards to gunsafes.
    I am a little gunshy, if you excuse the pun. I had a couple hundred lbs armoire fall over when I tried to move it by myself. Was UGLY. But it was quite tall and awkward. Full disclosure, if I had removed the 140lbs of big old fashioned tubed tv from it first, I am sure it would have gone well.
    Thanks guys!

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Did my 800 pounder across my wood floor on to carpet with 3 guys and a furniture dolly.Took 10 minutes and was easy as all get out. Once we got it on the carpet the guys left and I slid it into place all by my lonesome, although that did require some extra effort. I did a 500 pounder that same week with another guy and it was cake. Key is to take you time and left the safe move itself. Don't try to muscle it or it will kick your ass. You can use the door to shift the center of gravity and slide it around if your on carpet.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Hardwood and marble.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

The hardest part is getting it in the door. Once you have it to the door put a heavy blanket on the floor with a few feet hanging out the back. Put the safe on the blanket and have one guy push (low on the safe) and the other guy pull the "tail" of the blanket. It will go over a hard service with no problem. Just make sure you sweep your hardwood REALLY well before you do it. Any small stones or debris from outside can scratch your hardwood as you slide across it. Two guys moved my 800 lb safe all the way across my house using this method.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    I have moved 2 myself...well, not by myself, I actually had someone else helping me.
    All of the points made so far are good. I used a furniture dolly to wheel it in the house and those little "sliding" teflon movers to get it in place. A blanket will work too to help slide it if you need to.
    The fun part is getting it in and out of the truck or trailer. I am fortunate and have a trailer with a gate, so I was able to wheel it right off of that and into the doorway of the house.
    My house sits on a slab, so I wheeled it to the door and removed all cardboard and unbolted the safe from the shipping pallet. That left the bottom of the safe sitting almost even to floor level and then used the dolly to pull it in. I did not have to remove my door fortunately.

Is it fun....NO....will I do it again..well, let's just say that if I sell the house, the safe's are included in the deal. :D

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    It may sound like a lot but a 500lb safe is nothing. You could move that with a standard dolly and two people. If you can take off the door then it will be a piece of cake.

Edit - Duhon's on Terry Parkway has some nice Liberty safes every time I am there. It might be a good place to start looking.
    +1 on Liberty.

ReSpEcT

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Well lets see here.....You found my area of expertise.

I'm currently a professional locksmith that also delivers and installs any types of safes. As far as i know, my company is the only local company who moves safes for Cabells, Bass Pro, Bowie Outfitters, and as well as the LGS (Hebert Guns, Jims Firearms etc).

The price will depend on weight, distance from pickup and delivery, steps (if u have any), flooring that we must cross, and what type of house (off ground or on concrete slab). I will be honest and say it's cheaper to hire my company to do it all for you. We are licensed and insured, so if we break anything we will fix it. We are also one of few who are licensed technicians that repair any problems on safes. I have delivered many of them to Kenner, Gretna, Merraro, Boute, and Houma. So please dont think distance is a huge problem for me.

Now for the safes......Please do your home work when purchasing a safe. Make sure you know exactly what your getting, before you get it. I can tell you my professional opinion that there are "several" safes sold my local companies that are pretty damn useless. When I say useless I mean it's like breaking into a beer can. And im not exaggerating about that either. You get what you pay for and i guess it depends on how well you want those valuables protected.

I prefer this one, only because its mine LMAO. And its made in the USA with a life time warranty against just about anything. This one is anchored, meaning it is anchored into the concrete through my floor in 4 different places. This one weighs over 1000lbs (empty).....So with it having all the guns and being anchored into concrete, I have 6 words for the burgular/thief. "Good lock and bring your lunch".

IMG_20121010_211538.jpg

Last edited:

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    What series amsec is that? I've read a lot of good about the bf, but never seen any of them in person.

Op, 500 pounds shouldn't be bad with some help.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I'd like to see more, but you may want to create a new thread so we don't **** off the op. If I add a second safe I may go with a BF amsec. Gotta finish filling the current one first haha.

pete70056

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Gretna, La
    I'd like to see more, but you may want to create a new thread so we don't **** off the op. If I add a second safe I may go with a BF amsec. Gotta finish filling the current one first haha.

Would not **** me off in the least. I'm glad ReSpEcT's expert advise and recommendations.:bigok:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I moved my 900 lb safe in with two other guys and some schedule 80 PVC pipe cut as rollers. We laid the safe on the pvc rollers and would move the rollers from the back up to the front as we pushed the safe. It was pretty easy the hardest part was getting the safe on it's side safely. The roller method spreads the weight out because what I had read online said that a safe that heavy can crack floors and mess up carpet.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I recently moved one into my house using the blanket on hardwood method without much trouble. Now I'd like to move it upstairs and would appreciate any suggestions.

I would like to try the beer can method but I'm scared of the accidental slip and fall/marring of my new staircase. (and I know I should've done it before getting the new stairs)

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I've found this method to be easiest. Though, I use metal pipe and laid down plywood on the floor to protect it. Left mine standing up straight when I rolled it.

I moved my 900 lb safe in with two other guys and some schedule 80 PVC pipe cut as rollers. We laid the safe on the pvc rollers and would move the rollers from the back up to the front as we pushed the safe. It was pretty easy the hardest part was getting the safe on it's side safely. The roller method spreads the weight out because what I had read online said that a safe that heavy can crack floors and mess up carpet.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom