57' Chevy Lady

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    If only that was a 2 door 56, it would be worth a small fortune.

I see old cars from the 60's for sale all the time and see it say "80k original miles" and always think they are full of ****, but this video has made me think otherwise. She has driven about 2k miles every year, that is crazy!

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Can tell by the front bumper caps it is a power pak 283 220HP. My 57 had a power glide trans. , it was a 2 speed. Those were the good ole days, you would have had to have lived it to understand.

Turn Key

Stuck up North
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A silver spoon friend of mine in high school (class of 69') was given a totally restored 57' Chevy for his 16th B-Day. His pop owned the local Chevy dealership.

Sorry to say his ride was wrecked in less than a month. I was informed he passed quite a while ago. Some just cannot handle wealth.

TK

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If only that was a 2 door 56, it would be worth a small fortune.

I see old cars from the 60's for sale all the time and see it say "80k original miles" and always think they are full of ****, but this video has made me think otherwise. She has driven about 2k miles every year, that is crazy!

The first car I bought after joining the work force was a 2 door 56 Chevrolet.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    My grandmother bought a 71 demon new in 1971. In 1991, it turned over 40k and still had the original bias glas tires on it. My dad went to see her and it had a flat, the tires were disentegrated. It had literally never been out of jackson, MS and was driven about twice a week- church and the grocery store on sunday. Dad took it to have 4 new tires put on. About a year later she calle dand asked my dad to come and get the car because she wasnt going to drive anymore. She had bumped into a post at the gas station and dented the quarter. It was 100% original down to the no air and am radio and rallye wheels. I still really hate that my dad sold it before I was able to get my hands on it!
    Funny thing, grandma was rather religious. When she showed up to church, someone made a comment about the demon and she took it back to the dealer and had all the little devil and pitchfork emblems removed. She would have been around 60-62 when she bought the car and into her 80s when she quit driving it. I thought it was cool as hell to have a grandma that drove a muscle car. When she bought it it was a cheap no frills average car.

There are a lot of weekend cruisers with low miles on them. My 86 corvette has 36k on it, thats an average of just over 1300 miles a year!
    I have only put 5k on my jeep in 4 years, but it already had a pile of miles on it when I got it.

Last edited:

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Nice car even if it is a 4 door. My first new car was 63 SS Chevy conv. with 327 4 speed . Long time ago and long gone :mad: did I have some good times in the back seat of that car memories are soooooo good :rockon:

Thanks for the drive down memory lane in a 57 chevy.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    The first car I bought after joining the work force was a 2 door 56 Chevrolet.

Very nice, a classic cruiser for sure!

There are a lot of weekend cruisers with low miles on them. My 86 corvette has 36k on it, thats an average of just over 1300 miles a year!

My problem is with the 5 digit odometers, does a car have 117k, 217k, or 317k miles on it? I guess the 5 digit odometers carried over from a time when cars were not expected to make it to 100k much less 200k miles.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    There are things to look for to determine whether there is an extra 100k on the clock or not. some require dis-assembly though.
    I put valve cover gaskets on my car a while back and I have never seen internals this clean before! Of course, I have never torn down an engine with less than at least 100k on it either, but this thing looks new under the caps.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    There are things to look for to determine whether there is an extra 100k on the clock or not. some require dis-assembly though.
    I put valve cover gaskets on my car a while back and I have never seen internals this clean before! Of course, I have never torn down an engine with less than at least 100k on it either, but this thing looks new under the caps.[/QUOTE

You reminded me of a 73 cutlass supreme 350 eng. 350 trans I bought new . I had valves started sticking and knocking ,took one valve cover off to see the worst cake up rockers I had ever seen . Quaker State oil was not the oil to use back then . Don't remember if I pulled the heads or just did a mixture flush and started using Castor oil .

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Supposedly quaker state no longer has those issues, but no old timers will use it. I have seen some horrible engines with 100k on them when disassembled, but the worst ones did a lot of idling.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I knew someone in gentilly that would take his 57 two door bel aire to the track occasionally. He ran like 95 in 2 gears, 115 in 3. Not bad for a car that heavy! I haven't seen him in years. I really hope he didn't loose that car in Katrina.

Top Bottom