6.8 AR Build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwampSnyper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    I'm gonna attempt my 1st build. It will be used for my 5 year old as a deer rifle. Any help or suggestions would be great. I did a search on here but came up empty handed. I'll look thru the post later when I get more time. Any links on a 6.8 build would be appreciated also, so would suggestions on where to get uppers and recommended barrel twist. The ones I see are mostly 1:11. Seems like that wouldn't be enough if you compare it to the .223's. Does it need less twist?
    Thanks in advance for the tips and I look forward to being a part of this site.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I bought a new bushmaster 6.8 for the same reason. It is an impressive little round that a 5 yr old can handle easy. Topped out w an eotech 552 he can hit anything.

Goodluck w\ your build. I wish I would have done the same thing..... could've saved some $$$$

Gunnut80

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Livingston
    Check www.68forums.com. If you go with DPMS the 1:11 twist barrels have the SPC II chambers not the older 1:10 twist. The SPC II chambers allow you to shoot higher pressure loads. Good luck and post some pics.

SwampSnyper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Thanks Gunnut. I'll look into the 68forums.

Glad to here head shot. Man wish I would have got on here a month ago. I just moved from Sorrento. Maybe we could have met up at a range and let my lil one try it out.

I'll keep ya'll posted on my progress.

bsdubois00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Jackson, MS
    DO NOT BUY 6.8 from STAG.

Read on 6.8 forums - stag first came out and was claiming their barrels were 1:11 twist - swore up and down - had them stamped this way etc etc etc. After some testing and crappy accuracy the 6.8 community pushed Stag over and over and they FINALLY admitted their barrels were actually 1:10 twist (yet they were marking them 1:11)

FOR THIS REASON I would NEVER buy from them.

(there is talk about it on the 68forums)

Silent Civilian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Coushatta
    DO NOT BUY 6.8 from STAG.

Read on 6.8 forums - stag first came out and was claiming their barrels were 1:11 twist - swore up and down - had them stamped this way etc etc etc. After some testing and crappy accuracy the 6.8 community pushed Stag over and over and they FINALLY admitted their barrels were actually 1:10 twist (yet they were marking them 1:11)

FOR THIS REASON I would NEVER buy from them.

(there is talk about it on the 68forums)

Interesting.

Mine lays down game just fine.

bsdubois00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Jackson, MS
    You may have gotten one after they fixed this issue - the thing is - they actually TRIED to hide the 1:10 barrels at 1:11 - a company that does this is not one that I want to buy from

Silent Civilian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Coushatta
    You may have gotten one after they fixed this issue - the thing is - they actually TRIED to hide the 1:10 barrels at 1:11 - a company that does this is not one that I want to buy from

That's a pretty shady thing for a company to do. At least the fixed it, or so they've claimed.

Either way I've been happy with my rifles from Stag.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Thanks Gunnut. I'll look into the 68forums.

Glad to here head shot. Man wish I would have got on here a month ago. I just moved from Sorrento. Maybe we could have met up at a range and let my lil one try it out.

I'll keep ya'll posted on my progress.

Where you living now? Maybe we can still hook them up. I rigged mine up a 10-22 to practice and he picked it right up, sat down behind the M4 & never missed a lick

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0619111711a.jpg
      0619111711a.jpg
      239 KB · Views: 113

bsdubois00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Jackson, MS
    So I may have mis-read the post - here is the scoop currently:

"No, the suppliers of the barrels to Stag stamped them as 1:11 and they were infact 1:10. Determine what your barrel's rate of twist is. IF it is found to be the incorrect rate of twist... Stag has been VERY good about having folks return their uppers for a replacement barrel. Folks expressing a desire for M4 feed ramps at the same time... have reported good results in them being done at the same time. "David" has been the point man on it for Stag and has posted here to confirm their willingness to make it right. I think those rigs were primarily the model 5 carbine offerings. Try searching for Stag Model 5 for the thread (if my rememberer is working right tonight). "

442shooter

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    prairieville
    My stag upper us great. I had to have the m4 ramps ground in it though. People gave reported not needing them and some have had it done. From what I was reading stag will not do the ramps themselves. Its a cheap reassurance either way. I gave mine on a plum lower and love it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom