6 different hunting licenses REALLY

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    O.K. so I am a military resident of Louisiana. I am "thinking" of hunting in LA some, but mainly in AL. Now I just paid $24 for my AL hunting license which includes all the following:
    Small Game
    Big Game
    Bow
    Muzzleloader
    Turkey
    Pretty much everything you want to hunt except migratory birds and if I wanted to add WMA then my total would be $32.

Now as I look at the regs it appears that if I want to use my bow or muzzle loader and hunt WMA in Louisiana, I have to buy:
    Basic Season $15
    Big Game $14
    Bow $10.50
    Primative $10.50
    WMA $15
    Turkey $5.50
    For a grand total of $70

Please tell me I'm wrong!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    3 years ago Louisiana had a program for military. Basically any money spent on hunting or fishing liscense was returned the following year in your state income taxes. It just so happen to be the year myself and my brother happen to buy liftime liscense. My brother was x-marine so all $500 was given back to him later. I don't know if the state is still doing it but it is worth checking into. (Correction, it was 2 years ago)

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    I don't think you have to buy the WMA permit if you have a valid hunting permit. The WMA permit is for bird watchers so they don't get a free ride on the Hunter's funding everything. I could be wrong though.

Upon reviewing the current pamplet, it appears that you do need the WMA permit to hunt. The birdwatchers have to buy the wild louisiana stamp?

Last edited:

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    look at the Sportsman license. I think that's what it's called. It's like $100 or $120 and includes just about everything except a Federal duck stamp. Even has fishing license and gear licenses I believe.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    You gotta have a permit to watch birds? Your kidding right? What's the difference between a bird watcher and a mofo just taking a walk?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    The permit (Wild LA Stamp) is needed if you are going to be on WMA land, and do not have any other LA issued license.

y'all are talking about two different permits.

A Wild Louisiana Stamp if for non hunters to enter a WMA on a cheaper license.

A WMA Hunting Permit is for hunters to hunt on a WMA (on top of their other licenses.

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The sites listed is where I found that I have to have 6 licenses. And the poacher thing was more of a joke. Everytime I talk to a commercial fisherman or hunter they say they can't make a living because of the poachers.

Guess it all depends on where. I know plenty who are making a killing.

I will be getting my lifetime next year... I'm tired of spending $85 every year

That's the best route for sure. My Dad was going to get me a Lifetime when I got out of the Marines, until we found out that 50% or more Disabled Vets are able to apply for a free Lifetime.

I think I was paying around $90 a year though with Duck Stamps. Which is not covered by the Disabled Hunt/Fish. You still have to pay for Duck Stamps.

Now I just go to walmart with my DL around the first week of August and they print it out. Too simple.

More Info HERE

Last edited:

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    I got my Lifetime back in 2000. That is why I am not up on what is currently needed. I never worry about it because I know the only thing I need is a federal duck stamp.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Lifetime the way to go. Not only does the cost of liscence go up every few years but it will always be valid even if you move out of the state.

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    got my grandson a lifetime license a couple of years ago, $300. if you are a hunter, or fisherman, get the little ones a lifetime license as soon as they qualify.

thats what i did with my parents when i was still a little kid.

one question about the lifetime license tho, does it include the WMA permit?

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14

one question about the lifetime license tho, does it include the WMA permit?

Yes it does.

The current list for a lifetime hunting and fishing:
    Basic Fishing
    Saltwater Fishing
    Basic Hunting
    Big Game
    Primitive weapon
    Archery
    State Duck stamp
    Turkey stamp
    WMA permit

I think that is all.