7.62 Suppressor - YHM-3300-TI

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redbull

Seeker of knowledge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Central, LA (East Baton Rouge)
    Hoping to start paperwork soon on a YHM-3300-TI (titanium) for 7.62. My intent is to get the 7.62 with quick attach for my RRA 5.56. Eventually, I'd like to buy/build/or re-register my lower as an SBR and put a 10.5" 300 Blackout barrel with the YHM on it. Of course I'll keep the quick attach option to increase utilization. I may even have some of my hunting rifles cut and threaded to increase range time. Have any of you fine folks had any hands on with the YHM suppressors? I can read manufacturing websites as well as the next guy, but nothing beats personal experience in my book.

I'd absolutely love to speak with our local manufacturing folks at Red Jacket to inquire about an integrally suppressed 300 Blackout (if they were building such rifles), but as of my last visit...that wasn't offered just yet.

Redbull

Seeker of knowledge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    That's actually my next in line. I've spent some time building a comparison sheet of a few popular manufacturers and the AAC is a strong competitor. However, the YHM offers the same can dimensions and comparible suppression (by their published standards). The main difference that drives me to the YHM is the weight of the can. The YHM is about 5 oz less. Until I get my SBR, the heavier weight seems like it would feel pretty heavy sticking off the end of my 16" 5.56 barrel.

But like I said, I can only take so much manufacturer info...I need real world data from users. Reviewing some of the youtube videos, I noticed some of the 5.56 AAC cans seemsed to ring or ping after a shot. Do you notice any such effects on the SDN-6?

Redbull

Seeker of knowledge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    I'm definitely not overlooking the AAC's. I'm actually waiting for a list of in-stock suppressors from my dealer. That will play a large role in my decision making process. I understand that if it's not in stock, then the manufacturing time just gets added in, causing the process to last up to (and maybe over) a year!

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    A local friend who posts here has a yhm can. I got the pleasure of tryin it out on his 300 blackout with some subsonic loads he worked up. It sounded GREAT. Can seemed well built too. I've got an m4-2000 I run on a 16 inch carbine. Very front heavy. Got an sbr on a form 1 pending for that reason.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    You can't judge suppressor sound off video. Gotta hear it in person.

SDN-6 is as quiet or quieter with a 223 than my M4-2000.

Weight wise, 5 oz is a lot, but the quality of construction and durability of the AAC led me to that direction. I did a fair amount of research and came to believe that it was the toughest can on the market. I'll pay a weight penalty for knowing I have seamless sonic welds, Inconel 718 core etc etc etc that should last my lifetime.
    I'm glad to know that your research agreed with mine. Makes me feel better about diving into the first /purchased/ can for me. That's pretty much in-line with what made me decide on the SDN-6. Now my only problem is that I think I should have bought the can before building the rifle, so that they were done about the same time, rather than having a rifle /then/ starting the process on a can.... live and learn.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    SDN-6 is pretty much the king of the multical market. AAC does a lot of marketing but they also make the best performing product.

My only issue is that the 51t mounts suck. In order to get it to mount up tightly it requires a bit of effort which IMO shouldn't be required on a product that costs a grand and mounts that cost $100/ea.

But mine mounts tightly and I like it.

Last edited:

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Redbull,
    As you can tell, most people here are sending you down the path of the AAC 762 SDN-6 eventhough you asked about the YHM. The AAC has really had a chance to shine with the introduction of the 300 BLK but the truth is that almost any of the major 7.62 cal suppressors will work fine. I personally don't have any experience with the YHM and I do own a SDN-6 but based on a lot of my own research, they are all pretty damn close when it comes to suppression and dB reduction. The major differences are price, mounting system and materials.

My thoughts on price are this: you are buying something that you will probably have for a very long time and you want to make sure it lasts. How pissed would you be if you saved a couple hundred now to suffer later? I chose the can made of inconel because I know that if I ever end up with a FA gun, this can can handle it without question. A Ti can may not hold up as well to a stringent firing schedule. Think down the road...

As for a 7.62 can on a 5.56 host, the SDN-6 is amazing. Like Mickey and others have mentioned, the N-6 is a GREAT 5.56 suppressor even though it isn't meant for it and an even better can for the 300 BLK.

If you're really looking for some first hand experience (which seems to be lacking here) check out www.silencerforum.com. They have lots of reviews on several cans as well as a forum and test results posted.

Redbull

Seeker of knowledge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    I really want to thank you all for your input. It's exactly what I was looking for. The AAC and YHM cans were in the top two with my preference leaning toward the decreased weight. After hearing you guys, I'll definitely pursue both equally as I imagine my dealer will be more likely to keep the AAC stocked. I'll just deal with the added weight until I can swing the dough for an SBR

Just do know anyone with a can so I needed to solicit some outside help. I'm new to the site and hope to visit the range section soon to find some new places to go shoot.

If you guys (or anyone new) has more input to share, I'm all eyes! Thanks!

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    To clarify on the 51T mount, you're talking about shaving a little off the hard-stop surface where the can "bottoms out" on the threads, so that the can stops at a more appropriate/more-snug location on the ratchet rotation? This is just to remove a tiny bit of 'jiggle' that might be left in the rotation of the can, right?

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I hear this a lot but I have several and in my experience "suck" is a strong word. I would say they "aren't perfect" but with a very little luck or a very little work, they can be made perfect. Some of mine ratchet perfectly into place, others are close, but the fix of taking .00X" off the bearing surface isn't rocket science.

That said, NONE of my 51T interfaces have been so sucky that I have felt compelled to alter them.

A giant +1 for Derek @ BBA.

One mount that you gave me had to be altered :D When I say altered, I mean take a piece of steel wool and go around the surface a few times to take off the aforementioned .001" so the can could fully grab the next tooth.

But yeah you're right "suck" is a little strong. If the can doesn't just grab the next tooth right as the can fully rotates onto the mount, then it stays on the last tooth and wiggles around ever so slightly. This is supposed to be "within spec" per AAC, but it bugs me and if I was sending full-sized 7.62mm projectiles through it I can't see how that would be acceptable.

So yeah what I should say is that it's "not ideal." But I don't lose any sleep over it, and it required very minimal effort to correct. And now it's perfect. The other mount I have barely wiggles so it's not worth perfecting.

Redbull

Seeker of knowledge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Wanted to thank you all again. I just went and discussed it with my dealer and although out of stock right now. There's a batch due in within the month and, after my deposit made today, my name will be on one of the AAC SDN-6's. Hope to see you guys on the range some time.

Top Bottom