7.62x39 galore but no 223 in sight?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Has anyone else noticed that there is 7.62x39 available everywhere is mass quantities but no cheap .223 is sight? All of my normal sources of ammo are out of stock. Does anyone have any sources to share?

bmbrady77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Wilmer
    I've noticed the same thing. Probably has to do with the AR ban rumor that's flying around. I just started reloading because it may be a while before we can restock, but you can get powder, primers, and bullets all day long.

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    As much as I hate all the tracking cookies and hidden redirect links, Slickguns has quite a few deals on .223 - http://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo

Also as I mentioned in another thread, Cabela's just had a great deal on steel and brass last weekend. $4.49/box for steel and $6.29/box for brass. You just have to keep your eyes open.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Ordered 1000 round of privi partisan from midway Thursday when I got the email notification, just because. Didn't hurt too much. It's good stuff if your gun shoots 5.56 and the price was right.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    It is because people of superior intellect tend to choose AKs over ARs and being smarter than most AR owners, they didn't wait until now to stock up on ammo. :dogkeke:

Of course it could also be that AK owners are cheap asses and can't afford to buy up all the 7.62x39 ammo.........

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Another thing to keep in mind, the vast majority of 7.62x39 ammo is steel cased, which is very plentiful. If you don't mind shooting steel cased ammo, you should be able to find .223/5.56 steel cased in stock and reasonably priced online fairly easily.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    But.. What is the harm of shooting steel case in an AR. I mean I shoot less than 200 rounds a month.... But in the long run how bad is it?

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    But.. What is the harm of shooting steel case in an AR. I mean I shoot less than 200 rounds a month.... But in the long run how bad is it?

Not bad at all. Just a little harder on the extractor but that's a $7 part... I'd rather save $100-150 per case and replace the extractor every so often.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Not bad at all. Just a little harder on the extractor but that's a $7 part... I'd rather save $100-150 per case and replace the extractor every so often.

Ok thanks. I remember some guy telling me that the steel case is very bad for the chamber and takes some of it out with every every shot. I dont know about AR's so I didn't know if it was true or not.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Paranoid people don't understand that the 223 round and ar15 don't necessarily go hand in hand. There are plenty if other firearms with that particular chamber. It'll be available.

egl1962

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    thats fine, i rather run an ak anyway. at $500.00 a thousand, they can keep their 5.56/.223. it blows my mind how a community like the gun community thats very existince depends so much on each other, will **** each other in a heart beat as soon as any talk of a asb is mentioned. i seen people asking as much as $750.00 a thousand. i decided a while back to go pretty much all-in on the ak platform and get two thousand rds. for every one thousand rds. of 5.56 i was paying before.

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Problem finding and buying it is one thing.

The decision to shoot it and go through it again is another, unless you reload I guess.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    thats fine, i rather run an ak anyway. at $500.00 a thousand, they can keep their 5.56/.223. it blows my mind how a community like the gun community thats very existince depends so much on each other, will **** each other in a heart beat as soon as any talk of a asb is mentioned. i seen people asking as much as $750.00 a thousand. i decided a while back to go pretty much all-in on the ak platform and get two thousand rds. for every one thousand rds. of 5.56 i was paying before.
    AMEN! While my buddies were out buying up ARs to put together, I bought a handful of AKs and starting loading up on ammo YEARS ago. These "Johnny-come-latelys" who are fretting about .223 boxes(!) @ Wally-world are kinda silly. -I mean, seriously, didn't ya'll see the writing on the wall in 2008?!?

Top Bottom