7.62x39mm or 6.5 Grendel build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I am looking to get either a 6.5 Grendel upper ALEXANDER ARMS 20” or 24” or a 7.62x39mm because of the abundance of cheep ammo. I have a mil-spec lower ready to go this would be for plinking, hunting and home defense. Any thoughts on this.
    Wingate
    PS I am leaning toward the ALEXANDER ARMS 20”

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Depends on what you want to do. I had the 24" 6.5 grendel overwatch upper. Made a huge ar15, and consequently sold it.

Id do the 20" just to keep it handy, unless you just want to bench shoot long range.

762x39 isn't my thing.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    If you plan to hunt and want a projectile with a very high BC and longer range precision, then go with 6.5G. I did...love it.
    You can get the steel case Wolf ammo for very very cheap as well. I've tried some of it through mine and the holes are touching each other at 100yds out back. Hornady makes some qualify 123g SST & AMax that can be bought online or even a local Academy.

Home defense? I'd say a 16" 7.62x39 over a longer barreled 6.5G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    If you don't have either caliber already, there is absolutely no reason to go with x39.

I have two 20" and will have 2 16" grendels as soon as my new 16" barrel arrives from AArms. I love the 16 for hunting. My wife and daughter use them when they go with us. Which stand I'm in determines which length I take hunting.

I have shot my 20"ers out to 600 yds and will go further when I can. X39 can't stay with a 6.5.

The Grendel has become my favorite caliber because of its low recoil, accuracy and cost per round. It does everything I need it to do very well and efficiently.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I guess from the posts everyone confirms what I was thinking, will go with the 6.5.
    Thanks
    Wingate

I have plenty of home defense guns so I really didn't need one more

Last edited:
    Top Bottom