7.62x54r VEPR 16"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Just got a VEPR. Want to buy non corrosive ammo for it. Has a 16" barrel. What ammo type would work best with it?

Thanks!

You will probably be looking at brown bear, silver bear, tulammo or wolf.

Honestly though, the beauty of 54r is the cheap surplus stuff. Just run some water down the barrel afterward and then dry and add oil.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    The corrosive cheap ammo means I use a light ammonia solution as soon as possible after firing. I heard the mix neutralizes corrosives. I also heard that kerosene will clean up corrosive salts also, and with both dry bore and follow with normal cleaning, oil, etc.
    I think going with good brass cased ammo PPU or something would provide a supply of casings to get reloading. I saw a test comparing the cheap ammo to better ammo and barrel life was significantly increased through the use of better ammo.

mini14

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    148 gr vs 185 gr

That's really what I was asking. Unless they're both wrong... I have a Mosin M44 to eat whatever this doesn't like.

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    The VEPRs are designed to eat both types of ammo, if you can get your hands on heavy ball ammo it works fine, it was the PSL's that dont like heavy ammo without mods... Also the VEPR is more accurate due to less barrel whip. Also the VEPRs were designed to use surplus ammo, and I wish I could find the claim, but the barrels are supposed to last 50k rounds of surplus... Now the reason why surplus may eat the barrel faster is the bimetal design, so if your worried about barrel wear get lead core ammo, I have some 300 russian surplus lead core that shoots great!

P.S. I want one just like that too... great hog gun and the boom from that has got to be unholy!!!

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I really want one too, but I think 16" is too short for the 7.62x54r round based on the fireball that you are going to see out of it when you pull the trigger!

I'd LOVE one of the "sniper" ones from atlantic firearms right now but these Veprs are getting cheap at centerfiresystems.

I just got a PSL so I think a SUPER VEPR in .308 is on my list next.

Shoot whatever you want in that thing...any grain should work on a VEPR...they are stronger than the way overgassed PSL's.

Patrick

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    I have found that using TC No.13 bore cleaner for black powder rifles works well for corrosive ammo!

Top Bottom