80% Lower

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana
    If an owner of a gun shop completed a 80% lower for themselves (personal use), NO.

If you brought a 80% lower to a shop, and had them finish it...which makes no sense by the way; they are required to put a serial number on it, and transfer it to you.

You cannot finish a 80% lower for someone else, that is considered manufacturing; which requires a FFL 07.

luckyirishguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    If an owner of a gun shop completed a 80% lower for themselves (personal use), NO.

If you brought a 80% lower to a shop, and had them finish it...which makes no sense by the way; they are required to put a serial number on it, and transfer it to you.

You cannot finish a 80% lower for someone else, that is considered manufacturing; which requires a FFL 07.

some of us are not as handy with mill work, filing etc

thanks for the response

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    some of us are not as handy with mill work, filing etc

thanks for the response

There are some good templates out there to do it with a hand drill and a vise. The trigger pocket doesn't necessarily need to be milled smooth, personally I came close to ordering and milling a couple but if I'm that worried about a tyrannical government having their hands on all the 4473 ever filled out what keeps them from going after credit card purchases of ammo, and other formless purchases of gun parts. It's not that I don't think it could happen I just figure with the amount of gun related purchases and 4473 purchases "they" would have a cluster $&@) on their hands. Trying to go after all of us.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I've done a few 80% receivers both 7075 aluminum and poly, with a 8" drill press and x/y vise from harbor freight. I use a harbor freight Dremel kit to do the minor filing and finish work.... Just make sure you take your time and use good bits. I spent more money on my drill bits and end mill bit than I did everything else.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge

You cannot finish a 80% lower for someone else, that is considered manufacturing; which requires a FFL 07..

If a Gun Shop did this, it would still require they be an 07 FFL and registered with the DDTC. You would get a receiver back that is marked with the shop's legal name, city and state of operation, serial sequence, model and caliber designation. Picking it up would still require a 4473 be filled out and then a NICS background check unless you had a valid permit from the state you are picking it up in that qualifies as an exemption to NICS. This is the exact same thing as purchasing any 100% receiver. The 80% receiver plus machine work and finishing would likely triple the cost, at least, of purchasing a competed receiver. So, if this is your only option it would be cheaper and less of a pain to just buy a stripped receiver ready to go.

luckyirishguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    but the whole point of the 80% Lower is to avoid any Forms IMO (any some people just enjoy it as a hobby.
    i was just trying to verify the process

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    but the whole point of the 80% Lower is to avoid any Forms IMO (any some people just enjoy it as a hobby.
    i was just trying to verify the process

:ohreally:

Either way, 80% lowers WILL cost more, even in the long run. You could mill over one hundred 80% lowers and never make out better than just buying stripped lowers. Yes, it's a hobby to some, but for those guys they have the proper tools and equipment. You can buy a jig, but be prepared to screw up a few before you get it right.

jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana
    The 80% idea benfits blue state gun owners most because of the ******** gun laws they have to deal with; most us would have a heart attack over it if they had to deal with it.

Some states you cant buy more than two 100% lowers within a 60 day period. (Maryland unless your a FFL03)

In Wash DC you can goto jail for having a shotgun shell in youre car.

In NJ hollow points and the list is growing.

The day 80% lowers trump 100% lowers in Louisiana, the battle is over..

Rant Off.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    :ohreally:

Either way, 80% lowers WILL cost more, even in the long run. You could mill over one hundred 80% lowers and never make out better than just buying stripped lowers. Yes, it's a hobby to some, but for those guys they have the proper tools and equipment. You can buy a jig, but be prepared to screw up a few before you get it right.

I ****ed up 4-5 lowers before I got it right.... For what I spent at harbor freight on tools to do it, going by the math I had to do 6 lowers before I saw my money back....

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I ****ed up 4-5 lowers before I got it right.... For what I spent at harbor freight on tools to do it, going by the math I had to do 6 lowers before I saw my money back....

Please post your secret to arfcom, because those guys burn holes in their pockets.

How much are you paying for 80% lowers? If you paid $50/ea and you destroyed 4-5 before figuring it out, then you wasted $200-250 before the first one was right. Factor in the tools and your first good lower cost you $300+... I wouldn't say that you got your money back. How many did you actually complete thus far?

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Please post your secret to arfcom, because those guys burn holes in their pockets.

How much are you paying for 80% lowers? If you paid $50/ea and you destroyed 4-5 before figuring it out, then you wasted $200-250 before the first one was right. Factor in the tools and your first good lower cost you $300+... I wouldn't say that you got your money back. How many did you actually complete thus far?

good point. I didn't count the ones I messed up. I'm paying 35 bucks a piece for 80% lowers. I paid 109 for drill press, 40 for the x/y vise, about 80 for the good end mill bit, and misc drill bits (5/32, 3/8, etc...). I have 3 right now that are good to go and test fitted with a fcg and stripped upper. So looking at it like that, you're right, I need to do more than 6 to break even....

for me, it's stress relief. When I'm aggravated I like to f?!k stuff up. So I figured I'd at least try and be constructive about it... I may never use them, I don't know... But it's better to turn stress and aggravation into something constructive than to start destroying stuff like I used to do.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    good point. I didn't count the ones I messed up. I'm paying 35 bucks a piece for 80% lowers. I paid 109 for drill press, 40 for the x/y vise, about 80 for the good end mill bit, and misc drill bits (5/32, 3/8, etc...). I have 3 right now that are good to go and test fitted with a fcg and stripped upper. So looking at it like that, you're right, I need to do more than 6 to break even....

for me, it's stress relief. When I'm aggravated I like to f?!k stuff up. So I figured I'd at least try and be constructive about it... I may never use them, I don't know... But it's better to turn stress and aggravation into something constructive than to start destroying stuff like I used to do.

I agree, but my original point was that you have to do a lot to break even, let alone start making them for cheap. You will never get cheaper than the initial cost (whatever that may be) and you can currently buy a 100% stripped lower for $40 + FFL fees.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah. Everyone tells me just buy em 100. But then I don't get the satisfaction of doing it myself... That's the only reason I do it... Guess to see any kind of money, I'll eventually have to sell them through a FFL or just build em out and keep them...

i completely get your point. Financially, it's a loss/wash.... But it's the stress relief and satisfaction I'm paying for. At least to me.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yeah. Everyone tells me just buy em 100. But then I don't get the satisfaction of doing it myself... That's the only reason I do it... Guess to see any kind of money, I'll eventually have to sell them through a FFL or just build em out and keep them...

i completely get your point. Financially, it's a loss/wash.... But it's the stress relief and satisfaction I'm paying for. At least to me.

I'm in the same boat with kydex, so I feel your pain lol

jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana

where?

Top Bottom