92FS - current vs past models

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    My 92FS was stolen out of my car 2 weeks ago, I'd had it since '95. No jams ever, no problems at all. Being as it was stolen in New Orleans, I know it ain't coming back, so I'm looking at getting another one. I was at Academy & I find that the 92FS's they have in stock have this coating or whatever on it & I can't stand it. So I have a lead on an older model 92FS from about '91. It belonged to a friend's grandfather, never been fired (yeah, I've seen it & it's pristine). My question would be is a model that old as good as the ones today? I know from varous reports/gun mags/word on the street that the older models had problems with the slide or frames (I forget which) cracking. Were those more of the 80's model 92FS's or would this '91-ish 92FS be included in the "bad apple bunch?" Being that mine was a '95 & I never had any problems with it I figure this one'll be ok, I just thought I'd ask here as I know there are others who know a whole lot more than me.

Thanks in advance

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Is it an FS, or an "F"?

I don't remember what year they made the change (I think around '90 or so), but the 92F (no S) had the small hammer pin that would allow the slide to fly off the back IF it broke. There were reports of people being injured from the broken slide hitting them in the face. Enlarged pin kept the slide from coming off if things went bad. I can't imagine it being that big an issue, personally.
    Pin would be easy to change, but if you look at the underside of an FS slide, you will see the slot for the enlarged hammer pin. That would be harder to cut.

I say buy it and don't worry about it.

ShipWreck

Beretta 92 Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Texas, but from Louisiana
    I have eight 92s of different variants. If you can get an older model in that nice of a condition, I'd get it. You'll have all metal parts too - as Beretta changed a few parts to metal with polymer coatings.

Top Bottom