9mm AND 40cal...Can they live together and get along?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    As some of you may have done, I started out with 40cal and have been adding 9mm for the last few years. I've come to the point where having both is getting confusing - which could be bothersome at the least and get me killed at the worst. So I'm putting this out there for your advice...

How do you handle the 40cal AND 9mm situation?

For simplicity sake, let's narrow it down...Say you have one of each sub-compact, compact and full size 40cal Glocks AND one of each sub-compact, compact and full size 9mm Glocks...AND have conversion barrels...AND want to keep them all accessible for defense, what do?

It is SO easy to mistake the guns and magazines...

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have a range bag for 9mm, a range bag for .40 and a range bag for .45. All ammunition and magazines for each caliber are kept in their own range bag.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    If you're that worried, just switch to one pistol of that model. I can understand having different guns with different calibers, but the exact same sub-compact gun in two different calibers? Come on... pick a caliber.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I have a range bag for 9mm, a range bag for .40 and a range bag for .45. All ammunition and magazines for each caliber are kept in their own range bag.

What about self-defense situations? I carry a 40cal - other family members carry 9mm. Extra mags get confusing...

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    If you're that worried, just switch to one pistol of that model. I can understand having different guns with different calibers, but the exact same sub-compact gun in two different calibers? Come on... pick a caliber.

I originally had only 40cal, then started going 9mm for the sake of my family members and cheaper ammo so I ended up with both calibers. Thanks, point taken. I may have to do just that - pick a caliber, if a compromise can't be made.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    What about self-defense situations? I carry a 40cal - other family members carry 9mm. Extra mags get confusing...

Mark your mags., carry your own mags., do not try to share mags.
    At times I have 5 pistols, three brands, two calibers in my vehicle/on my person with plenty magazines and ammunition for each and keep them separated and will not mix them up day or night.
    I keep the same things in the same location.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Mark your mags., carry your own mags., do not try to share mags. I keep the same things in the same location.

+1 this. Testor's paint pens in different colors work great for marking the body or floor plates of mags.

I can see wanting to streamline things by switching to 1 caliber, however, you're really just limiting yourself when/if ammo is in short supply. If I had to pick ONLY 1, I would have to take the 9mm. However, I have better access to 40...

My solution? I carry a .45 :dogkeke:

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    +1 this. Testor's paint pens in different colors work great for marking the body or floor plates of mags.

I can see wanting to streamline things by switching to 1 caliber, however, you're really just limiting yourself when/if ammo is in short supply. If I had to pick ONLY 1, I would have to take the 9mm. However, I have better access to 40...

My solution? I carry a .45 :dogkeke:

Future supply is a consideration.

Colored magazine floor-plates are available and I can put corresponding colors on the gun itself. Not so helpful in the dark but a good idea. Thanks!

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I'm getting ready to shelve all my .380's and go all 9mm. I sold my only .40 to get a .380.

One reason I'm apprehensive is that I've not sold any guns and am reluctant to do so.

If money isn't an issue, maybe I should just put all the 40cals in the safe, seal up and put all the 40cal parts and ammo away...
    then go out and buy enough 9mm for all our needs.

but...money is an issue.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    When had a 27 and a 26 I put the blue baseplates on the bottom of all the .40 magazines. Couple of bucks for a handful.
    When I sold the .40 I kept them and put them on my 10 round flush mags, nice contrast with the black.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville

You could do a stripe of duracoat. Green for his pink for hers.

Oops, just realize something like this was already suggested.

Last edited:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I ditched all my 40 S&W handguns to go with either 9mm or 45 ACP. I do have a P3AT that I carry strictly as a backup gun, but I plan to switch that to 9mm as soon as the Boberg is on revision 2 or 3.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Streamline to the 9! Sell all your extra .40 stuff and get 9 replacement parts and maybe keep 1 .40 gun and a few mags if ammo is toast. Then again, if I were you, I'd just sell my .40 and all related and use that money on ammo. Look into how many rounds of 9mm you can get for 500 bucks :) *lols at ammo shortage concerns*

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Streamline to the 9! Sell all your extra .40 stuff and get 9 replacement parts and maybe keep 1 .40 gun and a few mags if ammo is toast. Then again, if I were you, I'd just sell my .40 and all related and use that money on ammo. Look into how many rounds of 9mm you can get for 500 bucks :) *lols at ammo shortage concerns*

+1

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering

I see what you mean. If it was just me, I'd probably do just what you posted. But I have multiple shooters in the house...so...since I already have one 40cal for each shooter, I can put away all of the 40cal stuff nice and neat and have only 9mm stuff out and ready for play or serious work.

...consider the 40cals as an investment or hedge against the coming unpleasentness and get on with the 9mm frenzy.

To avoid confusion, I should also color code the 40cals before putting them away for if/when they come back into service.

Top Bottom