9mm Brass Volume Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    I ordered a bunch of once fired and cleaned brass from Top Brass online to reload 9mm with. I noticed while checking some of the brass out that a couple pieces seemed to have a thicker wall about half way down the case towards the base. The head stamp on this brass said "IMT".
    b1rjvi36r7tbeudia.jpg

My question is, do I need to sort through the brass and throw all these out? Will the thicker lower case wall cause additional pressure due to decreased case volume(assuming same charge weight)? What is the purpose of a case like this? Should I just use them and not exceed mid-level loading data?

I know the picture isn't very good, but a cellphone camera is all I have right now.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ivan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    I have found several of those cases. IMT and AMMOLOAD. I've reloaded those cases and have not run into any issues. I read that the extra step in the case is to help bullet set back or for manufacturing purposes. Either way it's brass that can be reloaded.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Yes there are a few different makes of that brass with the thicker web area, it does reduce case capacity! There have been cases that have blown out due to overloads not taking this into account. They can be used just separate them and load them taking the reduced capacity in mind.

Freedom Munitions IMT – Brass is one such make that has the interior is stepped I have done pull downs on several of them.
    IMG_0037_zps575701e4.jpg

IMG_0041_zpsa43e7680.jpg

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    I ordered 2500 rounds of brass and went through it over the weekend. I only found about 10 total but ended up throwing them out. I'm still somewhat new to reloading and didn't want to risk it to save a .06 piece of brass.

Top Bottom