9mm in a 1911 frame - need input

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andyadler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    New Orleans
    I also have one of those Citadel 9mm 1911s from Academy. My experience through about 250 rounds thus far has been mixed. Great feel and point ability, reasonably crisp trigger and accuracy with the stock sights. Reliability has been less satisfying: My initial outing, shooting Winchester white box FMJ, was a catastrophe of repeated extraction failures. Stripping the pistol, removing and retuning the extractor made for a considerable improvement. My best ammo results have been via Federal FMJ (from Walmart at a quite reasonably $13.77/50 rounds)/ though I still get the occasional extraction or ejection failure. I may try a Wilson extractor as an alternative. But overall I'm pleased with the pistol for $329, though I would never carry it as a defensive weapon where absolute reliability, especially with hollow-point rounds, was essential. That is for my CZ SP-P01 compact, or in .45, the Springfield XD Compact (my preferred carry pistol).

Regards from NOLA..A.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    You often have to trim grip panels a little to fit an ambi…no biggie and just the price of having a righty and lefty safety ;).

My Springfield trp, loaded, range officer and mc operators didn't have any issues with grips. But outside of that I didn't have any other 1911's with ambi safeties. Personally I don't need ambi but instead of buying new grips and a new safety. Or cutting into grips. I happen to stumble across a set of thin grips that fit perfect.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I shot 50 rounds through mine, degreased and cleaned the whole gun and mags. And greased the rails and ran it for the first time. I wouldn't say it's the best gun I own. But it's DEFINITELY worth more than the 350 after taxes i paid for it.

I was able to get a decent 16 round grouping at 30 ft. For ~300 bucks, it does everything my higher end guns can do. But I haven't put enough rounds through to talk about reliability. I have thousands of rounds through many of my other guns. And so far so good, I probably have a 0.0001 failure rate. I can probably number all the malfunctions I've had with a gun on 1 hand. And this trip had ZERO failures in a brand new cheap 1911. Can't really complain from my experience. I wouldn't mind having an extra.

bassman1954

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    bought the citadel 9mm 1911 on line a few months ago. did some work to it. stained the grips a bit darker, changed the ambidextrous thumb safety to single sided, with parts from midway, much more comfortable for me. and colored the un marked sites. have not shot it yet as range in houma is closed for renovation for a while.

Top Bottom