A Big Thanks to EBRSO

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungGunner86

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge/ New Orleans
    I just wanted to give a shout out to the fellas and ladies working for the East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office. Yesterday, they called me with the wonderful news that my Glock 19 which had been stolen from my car only few weeks ago had been recovered and that I could come pick it up. Thanks to all law enforcement personnel who work to keep us safe and keep our property in our possession.

You guys rock.

Unfortunately the pistol suffered some water damage in it's absence. Any advice on restoring it would be appreciated. See images below.

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Well, the sights are obviously going to have to come off the slide. I don't know. If it was me I guess I'd have to decide if it's something I was going to tackle on my own or not. Not being a pro, I'd base that on whether I needed to trust my life to the gun as a carry weapon or if it's going to be a range toy and go from there.

If I WAS doing it, I'd start by disassembling it and knocking the rust off with a wire brush and soaking it in some sort of penetrating oil. Come to think of it, the Breakfree oil says it soaks into the metal after 24 hours. I'm not too sure how true that is but you could try it.

The similar situation I had was 20 years ago and a stainless steel 1911 so it didn't take much cleaning up. I actually saw it on TV when the news camera did a sweep of the property room at BRPD on Plank Road after they busted up a little coke ring. I called them and asked if I could come pick it up and they told me to come on down.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I friend of mine was telling me that when NOPD rescued their left behind weapons. The only ones that they were able to return to service were the GLOCK's. I don't if that 100% true. But it does make me have hope for you handgun. I"m glad you got it back. That rarely happens.

Dave

YoungGunner86

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge/ New Orleans
    Wow. Lucky.

What was the procedure for picking it up?

They called me and told me to come down and pick it up. I signed some paperwork that described what was being returned to me then walked out the door. Very simple. I did give a very detailed report when the theft occurred and I'm sure that made this process easier.

Well, the sights are obviously going to have to come off the slide. I don't know. If it was me I guess I'd have to decide if it's something I was going to tackle on my own or not. Not being a pro, I'd base that on whether I needed to trust my life to the gun as a carry weapon or if it's going to be a range toy and go from there.

If I WAS doing it, I'd start by disassembling it and knocking the rust off with a wire brush and soaking it in some sort of penetrating oil. Come to think of it, the Breakfree oil says it soaks into the metal after 24 hours. I'm not too sure how true that is but you could try it.

The similar situation I had was 20 years ago and a stainless steel 1911 so it didn't take much cleaning up. I actually saw it on TV when the news camera did a sweep of the property room at BRPD on Plank Road after they busted up a little coke ring. I called them and asked if I could come pick it up and they told me to come on down.

I am actually intending to make this my carry weapon, thus I am strongly considering getting a professional to work on it. I am considering calling GLOCK and giving them my story to see if they would be willing to help restore it. Any one think this is a good idea?

Did you see if it still shoots?:D

I haven't yet, but everything thing appears to function fine. I am completely confident that it would function flawlessly without being cleaned or oiled. In fact I have it loaded and a round chambered right now in case I have to rely on it for defense. You want me to test this theory just to prove the awesomeness of GLOCK?

I friend of mine was telling me that when NOPD rescued their left behind weapons. The only ones that they were able to return to service were the GLOCK's. I don't if that 100% true. But it does make me have hope for you handgun. I"m glad you got it back. That rarely happens.

Dave

Thanks for the high hopes and positive words. The gun is actually in very good shape. I have high hopes as well.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    They called me and told me to come down and pick it up. I signed some paperwork that described what was being returned to me then walked out the door. Very simple. I did give a very detailed report when the theft occurred and I'm sure that made this process easier.

I am actually intending to make this my carry weapon, thus I am strongly considering getting a professional to work on it. I am considering calling GLOCK and giving them my story to see if they would be willing to help restore it. Any one think this is a good idea?

I haven't yet, but everything thing appears to function fine. I am completely confident that it would function flawlessly without being cleaned or oiled. In fact I have it loaded and a round chambered right now in case I have to rely on it for defense. You want me to test this theory just to prove the awesomeness of GLOCK?

Thanks for the high hopes and positive words. The gun is actually in very good shape. I have high hopes as well.

I would think that your best move would be to contact Glock as you have said. I think that they might be your cheapest action and pistol would be returned to as close to original condition as possible.

Art

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    Find a good Glock Armorer. Make sure that he completely disassembles the weapon and replaces any parts that are not serviceable. The rust can be cleaned and the sights changed. Since Glock has so few parts, changing the ones that are not serviceable should not break the bank. Good luck.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Check with Sparkles (aka: Spanky), DMH did the refinsh job on his Glock and it came out looking really good. He can check for any bad parts and change them out while to pistol is torn down.

Beauxdog :cool:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I saw some that were that bad after Katrina. I detail stripped, cleaned, lubed and replaced the springs and they functioned like a Glock should. As a last resort return to Glock and it will come back like a new gun at no cost to you.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Glad you got it back. The guys gave you some good advice- the consensus seems to be take it to a reputable gunsmith if you can't tackle it yourself....I also agree that the major nightsite mfg companies need to make their sight housings out of a more corrosion resistant material- my trijicons on my G36 have shown surface rust under normal CCW conditions. I once had some Meprolights that were made of aluminum- no rust problem there. Hope everything turns out well...

On a personal note, it's too bad once you get it back to working condition it couldn't be used on the bastard(s) that took it from you in the first damn place.

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Was the serial number tag still on the frame? If so, you got lucky.

Contact Glock. They can do a restoration for not a lot of money. They will probably want to see a copy of the police report to show it being stolen and recovered, though.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    you got very lucky to get it back, especially there. I'm still shocked, actually. I dont doubt that it would function just fine if you tried to shoot it, when I handled it the other day everything appeared to be in order. Some new sights and maybe a few internal parts have some rust and should be replaced, the frame and slide look great. I'd contact glock and see what their suggestion is. If can be considered warranty repair or doesnt cost too much I'd get them to do it just to ensure 100% function and future warranty support (not that you'll need it)

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Dude, go buy yourself a lott-re ticket. You are one lucky sole. Usually everyone tells you to kiss that (insert item stolen) good bye.

congrats. Now you have a great story to tell. Never sell that gun. You two are meant to be!

YoungGunner86

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge/ New Orleans
    have dmh colbolt it

About how much will that cost?

I saw some that were that bad after Katrina. I detail stripped, cleaned, lubed and replaced the springs and they functioned like a Glock should. As a last resort return to Glock and it will come back like a new gun at no cost to you.

Why as a last resort?

On a personal note, it's too bad once you get it back to working condition it couldn't be used on the bastard(s) that took it from you in the first damn place.

I felt that way at first, but now that I have it back, I just feel like i need to be more careful with it. Can't trust the car. I need to keep it on my belt. Damn ccw license still hasn't come through.

Dude, go buy yourself a lott-re ticket. You are one lucky sole. Usually everyone tells you to kiss that (insert item stolen) good bye.

congrats. Now you have a great story to tell. Never sell that gun. You two are meant to be!

I had been coming to terms with the idea that I'd never see it again, then I get the suprise phone call. I am one lucky bastard. This gun will hopefully be passed down to one of my sons or daughters in the future.

Top Bottom