A brief question about the ak-74 series style of rifles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Hi there. I usually lurk around here gaining bits of info but I have a pressing question.I'm interested in getting one of the ak-74 style rifles.I've done a bit of research but not enough. I'm a bit of a babe in the woods . What manufacture should I avoid and is there anything I really need to know.I've heard arsenal makes the best but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a hidden gem out there.Thanks

Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    I had heard about century arms reputation and had intended to avoid them. Why no Romanian though?

My budgets around 800. I know I could get an arsenal for that price but I'm thrifty.

I'm going to be using it for general plinking and possibly living history displays

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You could get an Arsenal SGL31 in that price range, but if you want something cheaper I've heard lots of good stuff about the Waffen Werks rifles @ Atlantic Arms.

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Romanian AK's can be hit or miss, many imported to the US under the WASR label were built with reject parts (ones that did not meet mil spec on the assembly line), worse yet the low capacity WASR-10 brought into the US under the Clinton era high capacity magazine ban were later sloppily milled out to take standard AK magazines, however not all under the guns sold under the WASR label are bad though, as some were also recycled military issue guns. This requires a bit of research on the part of the buyer to know what they are getting though, even with the military based rifles, some years of production were better than others due to internal politics and disruptions at the factories. If buying a Romanian gun look for one with a production date in the original stamped serial number with a date before 1984, also look for the triangle armory mark on the side. Even with all this Romanian quality control has a bad reputation compared to some other eastern block countries, I don't know if it is deserved, or a left over of the reject part built mix and match WASR's.

Ike

Last edited:

Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Ah thanks for all the advice. I'm still deciding on which one to get. Has anyone gone the kit route? I've got a local gun smith whom could put it together. I've a general idea what sort I want .I'll post pics later on today of what I've found

Quick edit.Here is what I want.

mydreamgun.jpg

Last edited:

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Just took possession of the SGL21 (the 7.62 version) and the fit/finish from Arsenal on these series of rifles are OUTSTANDING.

I've owned AK's over the years by Krebs, other Arsenal's, Armoury USA (a pre Nevada Arsenal partner), and pre ban Chinese too. The SGL series is on par with the Krebs as to fit/finish, but for about $300 less in pricing. Have not fired this one yet so I can't say on that score (the Krebs was with a Steyr barrel and was scary accurate for an AK) but I'm not expecting any suprises but pleasant ones. Got mine, and looked at the SGL31 5.45 series too for around $700 short of shipping. WELL worth the bucks imo.

Good luck in your search.

As an aside, I read here that #1bambam is a BS.com member who can probably provide you with ANY assistance you need in assembling should you go that route. You can check out his work on the Sponsor's sites. Almost went that route but I was too impatient to wait out a build and wanted it yesterday. Still, VERY pleased with what Arsenal is putting out these days.

Just my .02.

Top Bottom