A Mass Letter to the President? Review the system?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShamanShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    In lou of these new gun control bills, shouldn't we all as a community gather and send our opinions? Tell them what we really want?

We all know what the issue is here, and it is not the guns....its with the system.

--The VT shooter was not a US citizen and had 2 psychological evals with in the previous 6-8 months prior to the shooting. All 3 of these are red flags... or should have been. He was still allowed to "legally" purchase the arms he used.

So as knowledgeable Citizens of this country, shouldn't we demand that the system once and for all be put under the microscope to see where the breakdown is? No more of these "knee jerk" reactions to one bad apple ruining things for the rest of us? The politicians see this as a "they want a fix now" and " I can look good if I fix this quickly" ideals and the masses suffer every time one person screws this up. This is not boot-camp where if one person on your team screws up everyone pays... this is the real world where we are not often given any additional rights, but always have them taken away. So easily do many of our US brothers give up their rights... soon many will look back and wonder WTF?

What I am proposing is that we get a group together, mass emails, hit the press, send letters to our politicians, Youtube videos, letters to the president...etc

Not in a don't take our guns attitude, but in a very logical and driven push for a review of the actual system that continues to fail at certain times. To not let the actions of one take away the rights of all. I am not opposed to things like a required firearms 101 class that gets you a lic. I would much rather people out there who have guns knowing what they are, how they work, and what they can do.... much more than any joker on the streets buying whatever and not having a clue to what the thing in their hand is capable of and or how to properly operate it.

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans
    In lou of these new gun control bills, shouldn't we all as a community gather and send our opinions? Tell them what we really want?

We all know what the issue is here, and it is not the guns....its with the system.

--The VT shooter was not a US citizen and had 2 psychological evals with in the previous 6-8 months prior to the shooting. All 3 of these are red flags... or should have been. He was still allowed to "legally" purchase the arms he used.

So as knowledgeable Citizens of this country, shouldn't we demand that the system once and for all be put under the microscope to see where the breakdown is? No more of these "knee jerk" reactions to one bad apple ruining things for the rest of us? The politicians see this as a "they want a fix now" and " I can look good if I fix this quickly" ideals and the masses suffer every time one person screws this up. This is not boot-camp where if one person on your team screws up everyone pays... this is the real world where we are not often given any additional rights, but always have them taken away. So easily do many of our US brothers give up their rights... soon many will look back and wonder WTF?

What I am proposing is that we get a group together, mass emails, hit the press, send letters to our politicians, Youtube videos, letters to the president...etc

Not in a don't take our guns attitude, but in a very logical and driven push for a review of the actual system that continues to fail at certain times. To not let the actions of one take away the rights of all. I am not opposed to things like a required firearms 101 class that gets you a lic. I would much rather people out there who have guns knowing what they are, how they work, and what they can do.... much more than any joker on the streets buying whatever and not having a clue to what the thing in their hand is capable of and or how to properly operate it.

So do you have a problem with a non US citizen having a gun or was it the fact he had psych evaluations ? Should a green card holder not have the right to protect him or her self.

ShamanShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    It's more about the rules that are in place, has NOTHING to do with anyone with a green card. All about the current laws/rules that were obviously missed/skipped/bypassed. If you own or have ever purchased a firearm at any retailer and or from any dealer, ie non-person to person sales you would be familiar with this being on the paperwork:

The following list of prohibited persons[5] are ineligible to own firearms under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.[6]
    -Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors except where state law reinstates rights, or removes disability.
    -Fugitives from justice
    -Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs
    -Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution and currently containing a dangerous mental illness.
    -Non-US citizens, unless permanently immigrating into the U.S. or in possession of a hunting license legally issued in the U.S.
    Illegal Aliens
    -Those who have renounced U.S. citizenship
    -Minors defined as under the age of eighteen for long guns and the age of twenty-one for handguns, with the exception of Vermont, eligible at age sixteen.
    -Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (an addition)
    -Persons under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year are ineligible to receive, transport, or ship any firearm or ammunition
    -Those who already own firearms would normally be required to relinquish them upon conviction.

So again, I state that there is something wrong with the system.. we never have truly addressed it and allow "knee-jerk" reactions dictate the course of action taken and never solve the true heart of the issue. That would be why we are still seeing it.

If you want to argue the basic "should a green card holder not have a right to protect him or her self" one could say the same about felons... they are not getting out of prison and going to live at the country club. They too will most likely start of living in parts of town that maybe they should have or would need to protect themselves too.

You are straying from the whole point of this being brought up. Bottom line is this is what they want to do:
    http://www.nraila.org/legislation/f...h-new-gun-ban-bill.aspx#.UOHHM9dqeec.facebook

-This is an infringement of the second amendment and personal rights. If you have been living under a rock for the last 10+ months, NATO is demanding that we do this anyway and turn over all the data to them. NATO is not the "happy go lucky" group we all think it is. Why would they demand this of the US? I don't see them doing this to any other country. Do you want NATO knowing what you own? Why do they/should they have the right to infringe on my rights as a US citizen?

-Also, if you note in the bill... once you die, all firearms (that through the bill now are non-transferable) have to be turned in. No more passing down to future generations, no saving for historical or nostalgic purposes.... no nothing.... BUT THE START OF THE WEAPONS COLLECTING.

Lets all read this together"

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
    -Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    Thanks for the info, at some point I will likely start losing sleep over this until its done. Has anyone put together a cookie cutter letter that can be sent to our state and federal reps? I guess the NRA would have one and I should go look.

It's more about the rules that are in place, has NOTHING to do with anyone with a green card. All about the current laws/rules that were obviously missed/skipped/bypassed. If you own or have ever purchased a firearm at any retailer and or from any dealer, ie non-person to person sales you would be familiar with this being on the paperwork:

The following list of prohibited persons[5] are ineligible to own firearms under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.[6]
    -Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors except where state law reinstates rights, or removes disability.
    -Fugitives from justice
    -Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution and currently containing a dangerous mental illness.
    -Non-US citizens, unless permanently immigrating into the U.S. or in possession of a hunting license legally issued in the U.S.
    Illegal Aliens
    -Minors defined as under the age of eighteen for long guns and the age of twenty-one for handguns, with the exception of Vermont, eligible at age sixteen.
    -Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (an addition)
    -Persons under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year are ineligible to receive, transport, or ship any firearm or ammunition
    -Those who already own firearms would normally be required to relinquish them upon conviction.

So again, I state that there is something wrong with the system.. we never have truly addressed it and allow "knee-jerk" reactions dictate the course of action taken and never solve the true heart of the issue. That would be why we are still seeing it.

If you want to argue the basic "should a green card holder not have a right to protect him or her self" one could say the same about felons... they are not getting out of prison and going to live at the country club. They too will most likely start of living in parts of town that maybe they should have or would need to protect themselves too.

You are straying from the whole point of this being brought up. Bottom line is this is what they want to do:
    http://www.nraila.org/legislation/f...h-new-gun-ban-bill.aspx#.UOHHM9dqeec.facebook

-This is an infringement of the second amendment and personal rights. If you have been living under a rock for the last 10+ months, NATO is demanding that we do this anyway and turn over all the data to them. NATO is not the "happy go lucky" group we all think it is. Why would they demand this of the US? I don't see them doing this to any other country. Do you want NATO knowing what you own? Why do they/should they have the right to infringe on my rights as a US citizen?

-Also, if you note in the bill... once you die, all firearms (that through the bill now are non-transferable) have to be turned in. No more passing down to future generations, no saving for historical or nostalgic purposes.... no nothing.... BUT THE START OF THE WEAPONS COLLECTING.

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans

-Fugitives from justice
    Illegal Aliens

Thank you for clearing that up. Unfortunately it's not about needs it's about rights and knee jerk liberals just can not and will not understand that. I keep hearing on the forum that this will never pass the house the senate will filibuster it. Don't take my word for it go to the GOA web sight and see how many congresscritters are given a grade of a or b

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    For what it's worth, here is the letter I sent to our congressmen/women and district 6 rep

Dear

I am writing you as a concerned Louisiana voter. Soon it seems that we will be facing new legislation on gun control. I urge you to vote with protecting our 2nd amendment rights foremost in your mind. Any legislation concerning the type, capacity, or registration of any firearm is a direct attack against our constitutional rights. The current country wide problem we are facing is a problem solved by dealing with criminals and mental health, not further eroding the rights of law abiding citizens. I hope you look at this problem logically with constitutional rights as your cornerstone, and not be guided by fear or knee-jerk politics.

And here is the letter I sent to Dick's sporting goods

Dear Dick’s Sporting Goods,

I am writing you as a concerned Dick’s customer. After the tragic events in Newton Connecticut, it seems that you have chosen to stop selling certain semi-automatic rifles. While I find this decision rather reactionary and pointless, this is your choice as a store. What disturbs me is reports I have heard that you are not honoring sales made before this decision was made. I have heard of people who have ordered rifles prior being returned their money and given a $100 gift card. These orders were approved and paid for. Many were Christmas presents, which are now virtually unattainable. Furthermore, this $100 gift card is not near enough to cover the inflated price of one of these rifles today, if one is able to acquire one. These people would gladly have taken their money elsewhere if they knew that their sale would not be honored. Because of these weak sales practices, I will no longer be shopping at Dick’s sporting goods, and will encourage everyone I know to do the same.

Fell free to copy these or write your own, but please send letters!

Top Bottom