A possible solution to left lane cruisers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    I'm sure everyone here is familiar with those bumps on the shoulder to alert the text messaging sixteen year old next to you that she is veering off of the road. Well I started thinking that maybe we should put something similar, perhaps less aggressive, in the left lanes. I thought of this after driving through baton rouge on I-10 between siegan and highland where they are working on the road. Due to the construction the right lane is now the shoulder. I have noticed people getting over into the left lane just at this spot and then getting back over one the road becomes smooth again (I'll admit I've even done it a couple of times). The bumps really annoy people and cause them to adjust their driving habits.

What do you guys think? Good idea or will the bad drivers just continue to do what they do?

Just a thought.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    My car does not handle bumps of any magnitude well so I'm gonna vote no. When they are done with construction that road should be really nice though.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Unless and until "those" people of which you speak, are sat down by loved ones in an intervention of their driving stupidity, you are wasting your time trying.

Generally, stupid flocks together, so their friends in the front seat are usually of no help either.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    This is what I'd like to see painted on the interstate roadway every 10 miles:

hwylanespeeds.jpg

Establish and enforce minimum speeds and lane usage, and there will be a lot less road rage, and traffic will flow much smoother.

Also, Interstate entry lanes should be extended long enough for all traffic to attain highway speeds BEFORE entering the right lane. Entering the interstate at 45mph will get people killed.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    sometimes you have no choice but to be in the left lane

i commute on I-12 every day from slidell to covington and the amount of idiots that drive 50 in the right lane force people into the left

sometimes you get to a chain of them all in a row in the right lane right on each other's behinds. all you can do is stay in the left lane until you pass the flock of lemmings that are too scared to go the speed limit and should have just taken the back roads

i don't want to get behind them and i certainly don't want to risk wear on my tires and my sanity if they put bumps in the left lane.

we have the laws, we just need to motivate the police to enforce them.

Depends on the posted minimum speed allowed and posted. Older folk need to drive too. Some minimums are 40mph.

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    the interstate should be 70 mph minimum no matter what lane you are in.alot fo the problem with traffic is pople going 55-60 in the left lane so people that drive 70 just sit in the left lane holding up traffic.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    sometimes you have no choice but to be in the left lane

i commute on I-12 every day from slidell to covington and the amount of idiots that drive 50 in the right lane force people into the left

sometimes you get to a chain of them all in a row in the right lane right on each other's behinds. all you can do is stay in the left lane until you pass the flock of lemmings that are too scared to go the speed limit and should have just taken the back roads
    i don't want to get behind them and i certainly don't want to risk wear on my tires and my sanity if they put bumps in the left lane.

we have the laws, we just need to motivate the police to enforce them.

EXACTLY! That is what state highways are for, those who are too skeered to drive 55+ mph. You should have a decal displayed showing you are capable of driving at high speeds to use the interstates. Kinda like a pilot's certificate; you get a basic and then get additional ratings as you progress thru your training. Interstate travel should be a earned rating.

Trucks that cannot maintain interstate speeds should only be allowed to travel at night.

Oversize loads should not be allowed on the highway during rush hour traffic.

Driver's ed should be a 6 month class.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I say big trucks should have plow bumpers mounted and be allowed to shove the idiots into the ditch! Papa chuck, you got it wrong. Trucks should be in the far left lane except when exiting the freeway. That way we could maintain our speed by not having to slow down every time some fool in a 4 wheeler cuts across 3 lanes of traffic because he wasn't paying attention and is about to pass his exit. We want to go fast. Means more money for us. It's the jerks in cars that slow us down.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    I say big trucks should have plow bumpers mounted and be allowed to shove the idiots into the ditch! Papa chuck, you got it wrong. Trucks should be in the far left lane except when exiting the freeway. That way we could maintain our speed by not having to slow down every time some fool in a 4 wheeler cuts across 3 lanes of traffic because he wasn't paying attention and is about to pass his exit. We want to go fast. Means more money for us. It's the jerks in cars that slow us down.

Could ya'll PLEASE speed up to more than one mph faster than the truck you're going to pass before you get into the left lane? Why do I have to follow a truck passing for 1-2 miles before he can get back to the right lane? Because you have a bigger vehicle and you don't care. That is the impression I have gained in my 35+ yrs of driving. On the rare occasion I see a truck trying to "cruise", I'm all for it. But, that's the exception, not the rule.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    the interstate should be 70 mph minimum no matter what lane you are in.alot fo the problem with traffic is pople going 55-60 in the left lane so people that drive 70 just sit in the left lane holding up traffic.

I respectfully disagree with the above statement about 70 mph minimum speed on the interstate!

When I'm on my Cushman Scooter on the Interstate I can cruise 66 mph top speed.

Plenty of folks go around me just fine if neccessary.

Why should I be forced to go faster since folks have poor driving habits on the interstate?

Just saying!

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    EXACTLY! That is what state highways are for, those who are too skeered to drive 55+ mph. You should have a decal displayed showing you are capable of driving at high speeds to use the interstates. Kinda like a pilot's certificate; you get a basic and then get additional ratings as you progress thru your training. Interstate travel should be a earned rating.

Trucks that cannot maintain interstate speeds should only be allowed to travel at night.

Oversize loads should not be allowed on the highway during rush hour traffic.

Driver's ed should be a 6 month class.

Sounds like you have a hard on for trucks CP. just remember, literally everything you own or use was brought to you on a truck.

Every truck on the road today is capable of maintaining highway speeds. Some are governed back to save fuel but they still go faster than the legal minimum speed limit. Now if you are willing to pay more for literally everything you buy so we can raise our rates to cover fuel costs we'll remove those governors so we can go faster and stop inconveniencing you for the few seconds it takes you to pass us.

Every major city in LA has laws about permit loads including movement times

At least one month of that time should be riding in a truck so you would have an idea of what we go through on a daily basis

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    If people want to drive 60 mph in a 70 mph zone I don't see a problem with it as long as they stay in the right hand lane except to pass. These people cause no issues if others drive the way they're supposed to. If you think their contrast in speed is an issue then you would also have to agree that the very large percentage of drivers who think that a posted 70 mph speed limit means it's OK for them to drive 80-90 are an issue also. These folks pose a larger danger in my opinion. The left lane is a passing lane by definition of recent law...not a speeding lane. The people who drive 60 on the interstate paid taxes to build that road just like everyone else. They have a right to drive 60 if they want to. Just pass them in the left lane and drive 70 if you want to. Maybe they're not scared to drive 70 and just want to save some of that $3.60 a gallon fuel. Whenever I'm pulling a heavily loaded trailer on the interstate I drive 55-60 because that's a safe speed with that load. Back roads are not an option on a long trip. But I stay in the right lane except to pass.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I concur on deltamuds feelings on trucks. I'm not a truck driver myself but I've got a great deal of research into it. They have some bad apples like any other group but I usually help them do their thing on the highway.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    This is my gripe. I commute to work daily, and the trip usually takes between 50-90 minutes. It is only 32 miles. On saturday I get there in about 35 minutes. The additional time is spent following behind idiots who can't drive the speed limit, and use the wrong lanes. Also the people who cannot maintain speed over an overpass, or aren't paying attention and run into the back of the vehicle ahead of them. Every time some idiot causes a wreck during rush hour, they are putting tens of thousands of people in potentially bad situations. How many dollars are lost when 25,000 people are an hour late? Because Latisha was texting. Or Mr. Contractor is trying to hammer out a deal while driving.

I figure I lose 4-6 hours a week to idiots.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Could ya'll PLEASE speed up to more than one mph faster than the truck you're going to pass before you get into the left lane? Why do I have to follow a truck passing for 1-2 miles before he can get back to the right lane? Because you have a bigger vehicle and you don't care. That is the impression I have gained in my 35+ yrs of driving. On the rare occasion I see a truck trying to "cruise", I'm all for it. But, that's the exception, not the rule.

That happens when you have a truck governed to 62 mph being passed by one governed to 62.5 mph. The ungoverned trucks get held up by this also but it's nothing to get upset about. Unless your driving a emergency vehicle the amount of time lost is negligible. If things like that really upset you, you might want to look into anger management. It's just not worth stressing over

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    That happens when you have a truck governed to 62 mph being passed by one governed to 62.5 mph. The ungoverned trucks get held up by this also but it's nothing to get upset about. Unless your driving a emergency vehicle the amount of time lost is negligible. If things like that really upset you, you might want to look into anger management. It's just not worth stressing over

A truck governed to 62.5mph should NEVER be in the left lane. Stay behind the 62mph governed truck.

Top Bottom