A Question for LA Residents with Motorcycle Endorsements.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    Okay, I've been riding motorcycles and dirtbikes most of my life, but it wasn't until recently that I've been faced with needing to get a motorcycle endorsement.
    My biggest question is:
    How do I get to the DMV to take the on the road skill test with my bike if I don't have access to a vehicle to carry it with or somebody who already has an endorsement to ride it there for me?

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Just ride it over but be warned you will need a vehicle inspection tag to on the bike to take the test but you can't get a vehicle inspection tag without the endorcement. Go to the inspection station you will get a rejection for not having an indorcement.
    Take the rejection slip to the DMV to take the test and go back to the inspection station and get the sticker after you have the endorcement. Been there done that.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Take an MSF course, you will learn a lot, get an insurance discount, and be exempt from skills test at DMV. I heard they exempt from written test now, but can't confirm that. Well worth it!

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    I keep hearing about people having to do A (1) figure 8 for the test ... For me and many other people, we had to do SIX of them! Which in my opinion still isn't that much of a test of motorcycle ability, but when I took it I was expecting some sort of at least rudimentary track with lane changing, starting/ stopping - I was a bit disappointed actually!

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Sell the bike, people in La hate riders, a ton on this forum has stated they will open there car doors or run you off the road for going through small places they can't go!!!!!!!!!
    I just rode my bike to the DMV, you'll be fine. Good luck!

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    I borrowed a friends bike and did two figure 8s in Livingston but the guy right after me did get sent home for not having an inspection sticker. Depends on the tester you get.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Take an MSF course, get an insurance discount, be exempt from skills test at DMV. I heard they exempt from written test now, but can't confirm that. Well worth it!

+1 -- it's a good investment of your time and money. In addition to the insurance discount (which will probably pay for the cost of the training in first year) and skills test exemption, you might even learn something about riding that you didn't already know(!)

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I borrowed a friends bike. I did not know about getting the rejection sticker, thanks for clearing that up for me. I always thought the way they had this set up was stupid, you have to have this to get that, but you can't get that without this, oh and by the way you can't get this without that.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    In MS, you could ride your bike to the dmv w a person that had a bike also. that's what i did; not sure about LA.

+1 to the msa course; its a requirement to ride on a military base and drops your insurance. I took the advanced one and it really gave me a lot of confidence in my riding and learned some new skills. low speed, tight slaloming with one hand is tougher than it sounds!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

MilOperator

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Metairie, LA.
    I got mine a long time ago but this is how I did it. I rode there on my bike and like everyone says I couldnt take the test due to lack of inspection tag. Cant get the tag without the endorsement, so.... I got pissed... then I went home and borrowed my friends little (very little) Vespa and threw it in the truck bed. Took the test and got my endorsement in about 30 seconds. Then when I was finished I sat in the parking lot for about 4 hours RENTING out the Vespa to those that were in the same boat I was originally in. :) I made a nice chunk of change that day thanks to the DMV. :)

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I didn't have to take the skills test because of the motorcycle safety class (which was a complete joke). I did however ride my bike to the DMV for several friends to take the test on (Even bigger joke).

Top Bottom