A5 Browning/chopped

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Curious on how this turned out.

As an FYI, pipe cutters work VERY well on non ribbed barrels. I once did a whole slew of them for area SWAT teams on Rem 870 barrels when making our own "witness protection" versions. Simple touch up the interior with a file, didn't use or need cold blue, and away we went.

Just sayin is all.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Anyone interested in this, I may have a barrel for sale for this project. Cut down to 19.5 inches and recently parkerized. Buyer has till may 25 to pay (he's a sailor at sea) but seems to have flaked on me. If it falls through It will be available here for $75.

skyblue

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    mandeville
    The question is why? If you want it for home defense then consider a pump. The sound of the stroke in the dead of night willcause a lot of folks to move on. On the other hand if you really think you would enjoy killing somebody then ... LSU fan has it right there are plenty of less expensive shotguns you can use for this and sell the A5 and have extra cash. Just a thought from an old vet.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    The question is why? If you want it for home defense then consider a pump. The sound of the stroke in the dead of night willcause a lot of folks to move on. On the other hand if you really think you would enjoy killing somebody then ... LSU fan has it right there are plenty of less expensive shotguns you can use for this and sell the A5 and have extra cash. Just a thought from an old vet.

No, the sound of racking the slide will let everyone know where you are. Having he chamber empty also makes the weapon slower to get into action and reduces your round count by 1.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    :wtc:I cry everytime I see this thread. I salute the A-5!!!;)

Why, do you cry when you see something like this?

Ford%20Hot%20Rod.JPG

or this?

hrdp_0610_01_z+1955_oldsmobile_88_gasser+front_side_view.jpg

or this?

chevrolet-00071-1.jpg

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    Why, do you cry when you see something like this?

Ford%20Hot%20Rod.JPG

or this?

hrdp_0610_01_z+1955_oldsmobile_88_gasser+front_side_view.jpg

or this?

chevrolet-00071-1.jpg

I grew up with my moms family trading guns all the time, it seemed the Browning A-5 Light and Twelve Magnum were always held to the highest standard to them. I guess I just inherited it, I love to see a precstine A-5, I have a couple in the safe actually. Chopping them just seems wrong. But, to each his own. I do like LSPs take on auto versus pump on HD, never thought of that aspect before.

12.7x99api

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    i absoloutly love the a5,and have been wanting to do the same thing for 3 gun matches.the last few trips to cabelas have turned up a5s in the 300-400 dollar range.its really tempting.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    well my buyer flaked, so if anyone is interested I have a a-5 barrell that has been cut to 19.5 inches. I have just blasted and parked it and it looks great.

$75 shipped. I will list it in the classifed section tommorow but wanted to put it in this thread for those interested in this project first.

Aberdog1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Kansas
    I saved my old barrel and now have the one Akajun was selling. Everything can go back to stock in a few minutes now. An A5 saved from the hacksaw blade. I'll post pic after I get a set of sights on the barrel.:bravo::bravo:

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    For all you people crying over a historic John M Browning gun getting chopped, and somehow shitting on a historical gun that is a beautiful machine, have you ever thought, for a second, that a chopped version may, at the same time, be a nod to a history worth noting, at the same time?

Clyde Barrow seemed to also be a fan of the A5.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    If you're going to be a grammar nazi, at least learn the rules. It's a long sentence, but it's not a run-on.

tl;dr, google Clyde Barrow.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    So what's your opinion of modified firearms to denote historical preservation of non-factory firearms?

I got a few derisive remarks for my intent to SBR a Mosin Nagant to sort of give a nod to the Obrez of Russian history, which was an iconic piece that I liked. People seem to think that the only history worth preserving is that of "factory original" or "as-is" from the military. I'm pretty much opposed to that idea.

Plus, if it's something that's not rare, such as there being 80 bajillion 91/30 Russian Mosins out there, what's one less original Mosin?

The same can be said for the Auto 5 in most of it's incarnations, imo.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I see your point.

Personally, I've always been a big fan of the A5 in it's original condition. My earlier comment was based on my own opinion.

I guess it would be fine if it was a cheaper, jap A5.

A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    I understand YOUR point. But trust me... if I run across a Belgian round knob at the right price, it is getting whacked...;)

You are cutting the barrel. What does where the receiver was made have to do with it? And many of the Miroku A-5's will bring a higher price than like condition Belgian guns.

Top Bottom