AAC 300 Blk SBR!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Green

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Watson La
    What is a good barrel to run? I'm looking into a noveske 8.2. Will I have and gas issues running such a short gas tube? Thanks for the help.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm keeping the consideration of shooting unsuppressed in mine, so I went with the Noveske 10.2" barrel, for the extra couple inches of velocity gain. I figure if I'm shooting unsuppressed, I may as well get a little more MURDERDEATHKILL out of my bullets. This is mainly in regards to hunting in States that require you to announce your shot to the surrounding area, instead of doing so quietly.

I've also not heard anything about it being hard to keep subs subsonic with 10.2" of barrel, so it seemed a good compromise. 16" of barrel would just be too damned much with a can on the end, for a gun I might want to be stalking around with.

It might be a compromise length, sure, but I don't see any meaningful down side to it.

With the info Robert Silvers has out there on the net, it's easy to evaluate what your ideal barrel length, bullet weight, etc, should be. The data out there really makes it easy.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I've been running the 8" Noveske barrel for over a year and love it. Works great suppressed and unsuppressed and is even pretty reliable with subs without the can (not that I ever really shoot subs without the can but it works). That is handloaded ammo, not factory. I don't see the extra 2 inches of barrel being an added benefit.

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Is there a thread on this explaining it? Doesn't it take 8" of barrel to even burn up the powder of a subsonic round? You're not talking about RyanW's pet project are you?

The 6.5" is my pet project... just got the barrel in yesterday. The velocity spikes very early in 300blk which enables you to make some pretty short 300blk guns...especially if it's a subs only gun. Take a look at the graph below published by R. Silvers. BTW, the AAC Honey Badger is rumored to have a 6" 300blk barrel. I'll post more when I've done some experimenting.

screenshot20120210at814.png

Source: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=739559#p739559

I've been running the 8" Noveske barrel for over a year and love it. Works great suppressed and unsuppressed and is even pretty reliable with subs without the can (not that I ever really shoot subs without the can but it works). That is handloaded ammo, not factory. I don't see the extra 2 inches of barrel being an added benefit.

FWIW, it looks like those 2 inches of barrel give you 100-150 ft/s on a super-sonic round.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yea, those are the charts I referred to earlier. I know it doesn't take much barrel to get the 300BLK lethal. I just hadn't seen anyone go for 6" of barrel yet, personally.

The only ones talking about barrels that short were looking at suppressor-permanent PDWs, which, I also am a big fan of. It's on the back burner that when my practical SBR is done, my next goal is an upper, or complete rifle that's much like the Honey Badger. Part of me wants to see if I can make a piston gun with folding stock work. I realize it won't be off-the-shelf working condition, unless someone markets something before I get around to trying.

It'd be a badass little PDW under-the-jacket gun for the WOLVERINES fantasies.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    FWIW, it looks like those 2 inches of barrel give you 100-150 ft/s on a super-sonic round.

I see that being useful for someone who doesn't handload but I can tune my ammo to get the velocity I want/need. I understand that no matter what the load, the extra barrel will give me more velocity but I really don't need that extra 100 fps at this point. Others may benefit from it, though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom