AAMC Message on Gun Violence.........

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    We all don't think this way. :rolleyes:

January 8, 2013

The President
    The White House
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:
    The undersigned medical organizations, together representing the vast majority of practicing physicians and medical students in the United States, share the nation’s grief and sadness over the recent tragic school shootings in Connecticut. As physicians, we see first-hand the devastating consequences of gun violence to victims and their families. We offer our experience and expertise in finding workable, common sense solutions to reduce the epidemic of gun violence—indeed the overall culture of violence—in America. We also urge the nation to strengthen its commitment and resources to comprehensive access to mental health services, including screening, prevention, and treatment.
    The investigation into the Connecticut shootings is still continuing, and the issues surrounding such violence are often complex and can vary significantly from case to case. Strategies for preventing gun-related tragedies must also be complex and carefully considered. The relatively easy access to the increased firepower of assault weapons, semi-automatic firearms, high-capacity magazines, and high-velocity ammunition heightens the risk of multiple gunshot wounds and severe penetrating trauma, resulting in more critical injuries and deaths. Even for those who manage to survive gun violence involving these weapons, the severity and lasting impact of their wounds, disabilities and treatment leads to devastating consequences for families affected and society, and contributes to high medical costs for treatment and recovery. Renewing and strengthening the assault weapons ban, including banning high-capacity magazines, would be a step in the right direction.
    Many of the deaths and injuries resulting from firearms are preventable. More resources are needed for safety education programs that promote more responsible use and storage of firearms. Physicians need to be able to have frank discussions with their patients and parents of patients about firearm safety issues and risks to help them safeguard their families from accidents. While the overwhelming majority of patients with mental illness are not violent, physicians and other health professionals must be trained to respond to those who have a mental illness that might make them more prone to commit violence. Funding needs to be available for increased research on violence prevention in general, and on the epidemiology of gun-related injuries and deaths in particular, as well as to implement available evidence-based interventions. Of equal importance is providing sufficient access to mental health services. While we strongly supported the passage of the Mental Health Parity Act of 2008, unfortunately, the promise of better access to psychiatric treatment will not be a reality absent requisite federal and state funding. This effort should be combined with an education campaign that reduces the stigma of seeking mental health services.
    Newtown, Connecticut has now been added to the sad litany of recent mass shootings, including Columbine, Virginia Tech, Fort Hood, Arizona, and Aurora. As we come together as a nation to mourn the most recent victims of senseless gun violence, we must make a real and lasting commitment to work together on meaningful solutions to prevent future tragedies. We stand ready to work with Congress and the Administration to make progress in protecting our communities, especially our children, from this epidemic of violence.

Sincerely,
    American Medical Association
    American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
    American Academy of Family Physicians
    American Academy of Pain Medicine
    American Academy of Pediatrics
    American Academy of Urgent Care Medicine
    American College of Emergency Physicians
    American College of Mohs Surgery
    American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
    American College of Osteopathic Internists
    American College of Phlebology
    American College of Physicians
    American College of Preventive Medicine
    American College of Radiology
    American College of Surgeons
    American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
    American Geriatrics Society
    American Osteopathic Association
    American Psychiatric Association
    American Society for Clinical Pathology
    American Society of Plastic Surgeons
    Association of American Medical Colleges
    College of American Pathologists
    North American Spine Society
    Renal Physicians Association
    Society of Critical Care Medicine
    The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
    California Medical Association
    Colorado Medical Society
    Connecticut State Medical Society
    Medical Society of Delaware
    Medical Society of the District of Columbia
    Illinois State Medical Society
    Maine Medical Association
    The Maryland State Medical Society
    Massachusetts Medical Society
    Michigan State Medical Society
    Minnesota Medical Association
    Nebraska Medical Association
    Nevada State Medical Association
    Medical Society of New Jersey
    New Mexico Medical Society
    Oklahoma State Medical Association
    Oregon Medical Association
    Rhode Island Medical Society
    South Dakota State Medical Association
    Tennessee Medical Association
    Texas Medical Association
    Vermont Medical Society
    Medical Society of Virginia
    Washington State Medical Association
    Wisconsin Medical Society

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    "Renewing and strengthening the assault weapons ban, including banning high-capacity magazines, would be a step in the right direction."

Well Sir Isaac, I am glad to see that these medical communities understand the complexities of social policies as well. Other than their medical opinion, I would think this^ part just slightly went off target.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm confused, are you saying "Renewing and strengthening the assault weapons ban, including banning high-capacity magazines, would be a step in the right direction"?

I meant to put an eyes rolling smile after my post (Corrected). I meant to show that the Ivory Tower elitists control these organizations and are not representative of every member of the medical community including its students.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Notice how they said they believe the AWB would be a step in the right direction.

Care to to guess as to what those little steps eventually lead to? ;)

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    How many people do doctors kill each year? Maybe the AAMC should look to their own short comings before looking at others.
    Oh yea, and don't forget the "more funding" notes. "more funding" will fix anything, right?

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I meant to put an eyes rolling smile after my post (Corrected). I meant to show that the Ivory Tower elitists control these organizations and are not representative of every member of the medical community including its students.

OK. I understand now. not trying to say you don't have a right to your own opinion or anythting, but the way I read your first post, it seemed a unique point of view on this forum.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Medical think they know best!...

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is
    (B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians
    per year are
    (C) Accidental deaths per physician
    is 0.171

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of
    Health and Human Services.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Now think about this:
    Guns
    (A) The number of gun owners in the U.S.
    is

(Yes, that's 80 million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths
    per year, all age groups,
    is 1,500.
    (C) The number of accidental deaths
    per gun owner
    is .0000188

Statistics courtesy of FBI

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    So, statistically, doctors are approximately
    9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN,
    BUT
    Almost everyone has at least one doctor.
    This means you are over 9,000 times more likely to be
    killed by a doctor as by a gun owner!!!

Please alert your friends
    to this alarming threat.

We must ban doctors
    before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

Out of concern for the public at large,
    We withheld the statistics on
    lawyers
    for fear the shock would cause
    people to panic and seek medical attention!

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    I wonder if less vehicle weight would lessen the amount of blunt force trauma caused to the human body when struck by a 3/4 ton chevy pickup.....@ 70mph ??? Maybe smaller tires and shallower tread depth ??? HHHeeeeyyyy how about cold ass coffee from McDonalds, that way the public wont get burned or scalded....Ice cold pizza from the pizza place so when you take that first bite the hot molten cheese dont blister the **** out of ya mouth,lips ,tongue, or where ever the hot cheese stretches and lands on your neck !!!!! WHAT IDIOTS, I think a well trained person could empty accurately and stab another 10 rnd clip very efficiently in no time...aaaaaaa bullet is a bullet no matter how many is in the clip, one well placed hit ,does it really matter how many hits !!!! OOOOPS I said CLIP 2wice :rofl:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    AMA has become increasingly polarizingly liberal in recent years. Most physicians in the country fundamentally disagree with their stance on politics. That's why their membership has been steadily decreasing for years now.

I personally receded my membership after they came out in support of the ACA.

I would certainly like to know what quack jackass thought he had the right to speak for what I'm sure will be viewed as every physician in the country.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Probably a friend of quirk jackass Jimmy Hoffa, Jr, who thinks he has a right to speak for every Teamster in the country.

It's refreashing to hear someone who can make that distinction. The talking heads of many organizations are often quick to speak for thier membership. Despite what many people belive, not all Teamsters voted for the current administration.

Last edited:

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    AMA has become increasingly polarizingly liberal in recent years. Most physicians in the country fundamentally disagree with their stance on politics. That's why their membership has been steadily decreasing for years now.

I personally receded my membership after they came out in support of the ACA.

I would certainly like to know what quack jackass thought he had the right to speak for what I'm sure will be viewed as every physician in the country.

Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton claim to speak for all African Americans...
    National Organization for Women claims to speak for all women...
    NAACP also claims to speak for all African Americans...
    The 21 Democrat members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus claim to speak for all Latinos/Hispanics...

And these groups just scratch the surface of "special interests" that are out there claiming to speak for entire blocks of the American population. In most cases, they are "self-appointed" and represent their own interests and not the interests of those that they claim to represent...

Top Bottom