AAR: AGOGE Carbine I (2-9-14)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peteway

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    A little about me.. Male, mid thirties and I’ve been shooting in some form or fashion since about 2005. I’m not military or LEO. I feel confident in my ability to handle and manipulate my weapons. My experience comes from watching magpul DVD’s, youtube, and some actual instructor lead training and practice. I’ve been through the CCW class and Haley Strategic’s Handgun I class. I like to shoot for fun whenever I can, which is at the indoor range or at the East Ascension sheriff's range when it’s open to the public.

I think one of the great things about this class was that it didn’t assume anything about the ability of the shooters. Literally you could have never shot your rifle before and this class would be a good fit for you. Richard was the main instructor and even though you could tell he had some serious skill he didn’t put himself on a high hoarse, it felt like he was a regular guy that you wouldn’t be intimidated to ask questions of during class. The class I attended was small in size and progressed as fast as the skill level of the students would allow. We didn’t move on until everyone was at the same level. I don’t mean that we didn’t progress until everyone was hitting bullseye’s or anything like that.

This was a one day course and I think it fills a perfect need for a lot of people including myself. Unless you own your own land you can’t do the kind of things we did at AGOGE on your own. Even if you could do it on your own I still think it would be helpful to have someone knowledgeable to look over you as with AGOGE. We got through a lot in one day. By the end of the day we were running and shooting in different positions behind different targets. We mostly shot paper targets, but we shot some steel towards the end of the day. Some targets were setup in hostage or innocent civilian type of scenarios which was interesting. A few of the things we did were timed. It’s amazing how adding just a little pressure of knowing something is time will affect you.

This wasn’t a high pressure class. When someone had a malfunction you weren’t yelled at to speed up and work through it, it was more of a slow down and do it properly situation. You could obviously go as fast as you want, but I think this approach helped with confidence. It also helped to learn things the correct way so you can practice them (malfunctions) on your own and build speed that way.

I can’t think of a reason why anyone wouldn't want to attend this class. It’s close to home for most of us, it isn't expensive and if you have the tool you need to do yourself a favor learn how to use it.

I would highly recommend this to a beginner to intermediate shooter. If anyone was on the fence for reasons of intimidation or confidence this class was made for you. It starts from the very basics.

If you are an advanced shooter you would probably benefit from this as well just for getting the cycles in and having someone help with technique.

I’m not going to list the details of each drill we did. But I’ll give a short synopsis. We started with zeroing in our rifles at 25 yards. We went over different balance and reload types. We went over different types of malfunctions and how to clear them. We did shooting at various distances alternating targets. We went over height over bore issues at close distances. We incorporated movement into the shooting drills. Left and right hand shootings. Moving to safety, when to reload etc. Barricade and cover tactics and shooting. Kneeling and shooting options. Different types of prone options.

I didn't mention it specifically, but safety was always talked about. Making sure everyone was being safe and putting the guns on safe as well as going over the five rules of gun safety.

(http://agogeusa.com/)

Feel free to ask me any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom