AAR - Magpul Dynamics Handgun 2 / Shotgun - by Nolatac - May 2011

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    i-m2t96c8-L.jpg

Well, there being no other Magpul Dynamics civilian shotgun classes in 2011, we decided to offer these in our training regimen this year. Besides, shooters get to say they shot were the Art of the Dynamic Shotgun DVD was filmed—true interwebs street cred!

Training Day 1

Since everyone showed up on time, all administrative niceties went like clockwork. We formally welcomed everyone to the facility, went over a few ground rules, and made the formal introduction of Chris Costa and Steve Fisher. After covering the safety brief and procedures for any critical situations (adding holes not given at birth); students were pushed right to the firing line. Being that this was designated as HANDGUN 2, Chris and Steve did not waste any time having these guys work up a sweat.

Every walk of life was in this class, LEO, MIL, EMT’s, CEO’s, bankers, engineers, college students, industry representatives, and your occasional tree hugger (literally). <3 big guy!

Being that this is the 6-7-8th-- I lost count --course that we have hosted for Magpul, I have noticed that the core curriculum does stay consistent, BUT the pace and drills is solely dependent upon the skill level of the class as a whole. The less experienced are pushed to their individual failure points right along with the certified ninjas. Everyone gets their recommended daily allowance of FAIL!

Even though this is a Handgun 2 course, the fundamentals covered in Handgun 1 were given due diligence to get everyone on the same sheet of music before Chris and Steve upped the tempo from a smooth instructor lead Macarena to some heart pounding, adrenaline pumping, hippity hoppity house music. All that was missing were the glow sticks. For some this was their 2nd time attending HANDGUN 2 just for that reason—reinforcing the fundamentals.

i-x44Tv4r-X2.jpg

Training Day 2

The final day of handgun before we break out the big sticks. Unlike the December 2010 class, a lot more one-handed manipulation was conducted rather than shooting and moving. Why? As I said before, my personal observation was that Magpul Dynamics keeps the core instruction the same but does alter agendas based on the needs and skill sets of the class as a whole. This class was not a gumbo of LEO, MIL, and 3 Gunners. There were armed civilians and those who do not carry a gun for a living-not that it really makes a difference, but…. Regardless, one-handed manipulation is an important skill set, and since most were not going to be bangin tangos in Afghanistan or serving warrants as part of a team—the curriculum matched that. Less team and movement, more “Oh ****!” in your living room at O’dark thirty.

i-K25skxs-XL.jpg

Most of this day was spent on one handed manipulation-everything from off handed draw and presentation, to reloading. I have to give props to the shooter below. He shot the entire class from concealment—true keeping it real!

i-7trsK2k-XL.jpg
    i-zDtntLh-XL.jpg

Training Day 3

I love sound of gunfire in the morning! Boys and girls, it was sticky humid on this May morning going into TD3. In south LA, we like to say, “it is not the heat, it is the humidity.” Screw that, it was the heat AND the humidity. Anyway, we confirmed good zeros for those that arrived squared away, and got everyone else up to speed in short order. Once zeros were taken care of on the guns, we went right into the drills. Chris and Steve absolutely love shotguns, maybe more so than carbine if you can believe that. Shotguns are just fun to shoot! Benelli M1s and Remington 870s simple took charge of the field. There were so many hulls on the ground I tried to get someone to make “hull angels” (think snow angels), but that was outside of everyone but Chris’ comfort zone.

i-HzHcNgx-XL.jpg

i-sLfFpnQ-XL.jpg

i-ZXKkwbz-XL.jpg

i-pv3tg4N-XL.jpg

But wait... Your flooded down there right? YEP!

With food that is...

With as many iCommandoes as there are on the inter-webs, some see guys like Chris Costa, Steve Fisher, Larry Vickers, Gecko45, and Kyle Lamb as”tactical idols”, and thusly think they are as approachable as Miley Cyrus at Chucky Cheese on her birthday when your driving a panel van with free-candy written on the side—nothing could be further from the truth. While some may like to use them as their favorite character in Call of Duty: Black Ops, the simple fact is that they are normal guys (Ok, Chris is certainly abnormal, and Steve is one or two shades off from typical) who like to pass their knowledge onto those who want to learn. One of the things that make our NOLATAC hosted classes unique is the sense of camaraderie and general brotherhood that quickly develops among the staff, students, and instructors. People have a good time, and that fosters learning and fun. A lot of this is accomplished via the time-honored tradition of breaking bread among family and friends—sharing a good meal.

The fact that the food is simply scrumpulicious helps also.

i-RQhRChC-XL.jpg

i-7HLwtWJ-M.jpg
    i-WSVDMPg-M.jpg

We had reservations on the first night at Trey Yuen Cuisine of China, in Hammond, Louisiana. The family style 5-course meal was busting at the seams even with 30 persons. Trey Yuen has become kind of a hallmark of our classes and the family atmosphere of these dinners is something everyone seems to look forward to. You would think after the enormous lunch that no one was hungry, but the reality is that they had burned that lunch off, because Warden Steve Fisher was working the firing line like a southern chain gang. After a full serving of some fresh food, these guys retired to the comfortable beds at the Hampton Inn.

i-8tjk7hc-XL.jpg

Second night in, we had booked the newly renovated rail car at Cate Street Seafood Company—another one of our go-to fine dining establishments that leave those new to our classes waddling out the door. Fresh seafood, sushi, and marbled steaks littered the tables as these guys were gorging over another south Louisiana feast. The topics of conversation varied, but the cycle of events for the day remained the same-- Shoot, Eat, Shoot, Eat, and Sleep; Rinse and repeat tomorrow.

SWAG

While we always try to connect the dots between great gear and end users at our classes, handgun classes are so hard due to all the custom and non-standard parts across the board with weapons, lights, etc. However we have some great industry partners who share our passion and mission and stepped up to the plate
    Each student got a swag bag with MPRO-7 Cleaner and LPX Lube, Sentry Solutions Tuff Cloth, stickers and patches from Magpul Dynamics, 2011 Magpul calendar, Nolatac carabineer, and pen. For those operating Glock pistols they also received some Glock Magpuls.

i-vnZJQrH-XL.jpg

In addition to the swag bag, we also conducted a raffle where each student received a raffle ticket and items were selected from the table.

Revision Eyewear – Viper Tails

i-jdR3Zzm-XL.jpg

BlackHawk – Shotgun Case, Battle Bag, Omega Pistol Case, Hawk Knives, and Mini Medical Pouch

i-zbXCnks-XL.jpg

MPro-7 – Tactical Cleaning Kit, Soft Side Cleaning Kit, Travel Kit, and 12 gauge Bore Snakes

i-G7zCDxB-XL.jpg

i-JkpBxWz-XL.jpg

Sentry Solutions – Gear Care Kit

i-mVR8LFH-L.jpg

USAammo – 250 rounds of any ammunition they produce

i-F6mTXrZ-L.jpg

Raven Concealment – 50.00 off purchase Gift Certificates

i-Xc3bLkd-M.jpg

Obviously we would like to thank all of our industry partners who go above and beyond to support NOLATAC, as well as the shooting community as a whole. These generous donations not only help our shooters in cash strapped times, but they also introduce shooters to products they may not be familiar with.

CONCLUSION

No matter how many of these AAR’s we write, there is sometimes still a tad of doubt in people’s minds... “Hey those guys are fan boys, weekend warriors who got a free seat. Of course they are going to say the class was great.” When it comes to firearms training, you should fill that single sheet resume with a set of skills that you have mastered to the best of your ability. Now, I wouldn’t go to Steve Fisher or Chris Costa to learn the intricacies of open heart surgery or the finer points of scrapbooking, but when it comes to putting combat effective hits on your intended target, Chris and Steve are two guys I am glad are batting for the home team. So, to make this AAR a bit more personable I requested students submit a brief statement from their individual perspective. It gets kind of hard for me to convey the different nuances between the classes after 6 or 8 of them, but for those who were here for the first or second time, the experience proved to be worthwhile. Given the fact that over 50% of our students are repeat customers, some by as many as three or four classes, obviously Magpul Dynamics and NOLATAC are doing something right…or maybe it is just the food?

A mini-AAR from Trevor Johnson:
    “My father (SSGT USMC) taught me to shoot at a young age and I have been applying those fundamentals safely my entire life. The Handgun 2 class provided the balance of fundamentals /safety and advanced firearms manipulation I was looking for. Obviously I had seen the videos and had an idea what to expect however many of my preconceived notions were incorrect. The one handed-off hand clearance-malfunction drills appeared to be complex and unintuitive but turned out to flow naturally and were some of my favorite drills. Shooting at 25yd with you feet facing 180deg from the target doesn’t seem difficult until you realize your arms are bound up and the rear sight is 2” from your nose, that drill owned me. Even with 26 students on the firing line instructors didn’t let anyone off the hook on accuracy and worked individually with everyone to tighten up their groups. Shooting a local match shortly after attending the class confirmed to me that I had absorbed the content and can see the skills becoming second nature. These were the results I expected and was not let down.

Shotgun was a complete eye opener as I had never shot past 25yd or run it very hard, it was kind of a safe queen. After close to 400 rounds my outlook had completely changed for the better. Never had I taken in so much information in such a short time and closing the training day with a 5 to 100yd “run n gun” was a great way to showcase the cumulative skills. The technique of reducing felt recoil had the most far reaching benefit as it removed any flinch and allowed me to concentrate/enjoy employing the firearm. I can consistently connect slug to torso at 100yd, this exceeded my expectations. The shotgun will be coming with me on more range outings from now on.

Having a large group of people with varied skill levels together for 3 days could have been a failed social experiment at best. I was pleasantly surprised. Everyone was super cool and I didn’t notice the slightest hint of any bickering or ego trips the entire class, awesome group. I would have attended this class on the surface of the moon so having a good private range, catered lunches, group dinners and a nice hotel added an appreciated aspect of luxury. Steve and Chris delivered awesome instruction keeping it light when appropriate and deadly serious “get into character – get your **** together – get your hits” when it was time to go bang. Obviously Nolatac did a great job organizing the whole thing, I will be back for more.”

“You must experience Nolatac and Magpul a 5 star venue. I am 54 and have trained at 10 other facilities over the years and this IT. I only wish it was on a more regular basis. It is start to finish a great time to be had with skills to be learned.”

-R. Zaruba, USAammo

“Excellent, hi-speed, enthusiastic, full pace from 8 am to 5 pm each day. We got our money out of them unlike other places.”

– J.Wingo, Petroleum Engineer

“Chris Costa and Steve Fisher are both in the top tier level of instructors. This is from both the knowledge perspective and also their abilities to effectively present and transfer this knowledge to students.”

– Springboard, Engineer

“For the civilian shooter looking to improve their skill-set, to the law enforcement professional looking to develop their street-wise gun fighting mindset, this course delivers in spades.”

-B.Alexander, Professional Commercial Pilot
    “As a paying client/student I walked away feeling that I received more than my monies worth in the way of hospitality and quality of training. Magpul and Nolatac have set a new standard in means of advanced gun training and client expectations. You have won my respect and admiration in a multitude of ways. You will see me again as a repeat client! I wish more training facilities/programs would put (Magpuls & Nolatac) type of effort into their classes. You guys have set the bar for how training of this caliber should be.”

– Ffvernon, Professional Firefighter and Firearms Instructor

“Magpul Dynamics and NOLATAC combine to put on a great class. The instructors and host range is top notch and the hospitality is second to none. The information and techniques taught in the class apply in the real world situations, where life and death could be a matter of fractions of a second or inches.”

– Jason Ross, Deputy Sheriff

“If you are a student of weapons craft, step outside your comfort zone and take a Dynamic Class from Magpul. You will change your entire thought process in the art of handling your weapon of choice. The instructors and facilitators are the best in their field, bar none. You owe it to yourself and those depending upon you for protection to upgrade your training to Magpul standards.”

-J. Howard, Finance

i-GP4bTjM-XL.jpg

Top Bottom