AAR VATA Intro to Tactical Pistol 9-5-10

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    Introduction

This is an AAR of the VATA Introduction to Tactical Pistol course, which was held on September 5th, 2010.

Gear

I brought my Glock 17, 1 double mag pouch, 2 single mag pouches, and 5 magazines. About half way through the class, when the shooting really started, I busted out my dump pouch, since I got tired of playing magazine roulette. I know at least 2 shooters had Glock 19’s (I think), I saw a Wilson combat, Springfield XD, Sig P22x, HK subcompact, and someone had a S&W sigma that took a sh*t, so Greg loaned out a Glock. There were some more, but I wasn’t paying attention…so sorry if I missed your gun.

All the instructors ran Glocks.

The Class

I arrived about 30 minutes before hammer-down, checked in, and started to unload. There were several Bayou shooters already there, so we started to chat and waited for things to get underway.

Approx. 9AM, Greg called everyone together, introduced himself and Destin, and immediately went into range and firearm safety. They designated primary “medics” for the range session, informed everyone where the trauma kit was located, and instructed everyone to dial 911 if there was an injury. After the safety briefing, Greg immediately went into the 7 fundamentals of marksmanship, going over each and demonstrating. He even had some ahem… “Artwork” for explaining sight picture!

After this, the fun started. We first started with some dry fire and ball and dummy practice. Each instructor took time with individual students at this point, correcting stance, grip, trigger control, etc. For the rest of the AM, we did some drills, taking breaks for water and to jam mags. We then finished up and everyone had lunch. Everyone pretty much scarfed down his or her lunch so we could get back on the range.

After lunch, we learned combat (speed), and tactical reloads, and did weapon malfunctions and clearance drills. For all the drills, the instructors were walking the line and helping shooters. Next we had a crash course on shooting on the move, and performed drills shooting plates while on the move, then worked on shooting from cover/concealment, and shooting while kneeling.

By this time it was probably about 4PM, and the instructors announced we were going to have a little “top gun” competition to end the day… the winner (cough, ME, cough), took home a little prize, along with the runner up. It was a great was to combine all the skills we had learned throughout the day in a sort of “final exam”.

Safety

I was impressed with the level of safety that the instructors and all the shooters showed. Greg and Destin were on top of things as far as the safety was concerned, and they showed it the entire day. It was HOT, and they were constantly checking on everyone and making sure everyone hydrated.

Advise

Leave early, I live in mandeville and it took me 30 minutes to get there... it's way out there!

Bring a lot of mags... it will keep you from having to keep going back to reload.

Sunscreen

Pictures

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=214154&id=276502191624

Overall

Overall I have to say that the course was a great experience. There were shooters of all experience levels there. Greg and Destin made sure to help out the guys that weren’t quite as far along as the rest, all while not holding up the rest of the class. I feel comfortable saying that anyone that already owns a handgun, and is looking to get some training beyond what is taught in a CCW or NRA basic pistol class should definitely consider this course. Even experienced shooters will benefit from the clear presentation of the fundamentals, and the great group training. All to often we fail to practice those basic techniques, including malfunction clearing, shooting from cover, etc. These are all perishable skills that you need to practice.

Finally: Highly Recommended.

Also, thanks to all the other shooters out there, everyone was friendly, and willing to help out. I hope to get to shoot with you guys later.

On another note, I think it would be a great idea for all of us to support VATA in their efforts. I think it’s fantastic that we have such a valuable resource in our state, and it looks like VATA is only going to get better. So if anyone is considering taking a course, take it here and support some local guys.

Aaron

P.S. Let me know if I missed anything thing. Hopefully I'll get some pictures soon.

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Great writeup Aaron!
    I will second and third the sunscreen. (I shoulda taken your offer first thing in the am and not wait until my neck already looked like a smoked ham! ;))

And while you did win the shoot-off, I think it is equally important to mention that I smoked Jmcrawf1 in the first round! I mean it wasn't even really close. I just closed my eyes and let the jedi-like force of Edmund Heckler and Theodor Koch guide my rounds like little steel-seeking missile's!

:rofl: :rofl::rofl:

Seriously, though, you will be hard pressed to find this level of quality training for such a reasonable price anywhere, much less our own backyard. I highly recommend VATA, and I'll be signing up for the next class the day it's posted on the schedule!

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Great writeup Aaron!
    I will second and third the sunscreen. (I shoulda taken your offer first thing in the am and not wait until my neck already looked like a smoked ham! ;))

And while you did win the shoot-off, I think it is equally important to mention that I smoked Jmcrawf1 in the first round! I mean it wasn't even really close. I just closed my eyes and let the jedi-like force of Edmund Heckler and Theodor Koch guide my rounds like little steel-seeking missile's!

Seriously, though, you will be hard pressed to find this level of quality training for such a reasonable price anywhere, much less our own backyard. I highly recommend VATA, and I'll be signing up for the next class the day it's posted on the schedule!

Bastard :D

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    Great writeup Aaron!

Thanks...haha, yea...the sunscreen thing is definetly a lesson you learn once...getting burned on a firing line leaves you with a really funky farmers tan... only burned on the top of your arms and the back of your neck!!

yea... poor Jmcrawf1, you did beat him... but just imagine what you could have done with a GLOCK instead of that HK... and remember, they think you suck and hate you!! :mamoru::mamoru:

zonblitz

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Slidell LA
    Nice write up Aaron,

I want to echo alot of what Aaron mentioned above. This was my fourth VATA class overall and I keep learning everytime. I have yet to meet someone who wasn't excited about what they learned and ready for another dose.

I'd like to add the team/partner reloading drills we did, that was not only fun, but a useful tool to take with us whenever we practice.

I'd also like to comment on using a great resource that's in our own back yard, I have convinced two of my buddies to come with me for classes and both will be returning. I think as more and more of our community test the waters then even more will be coming out.

Thanks to Greg, Destin and Gary for their help and for putting on top notch classes.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    jbonnette,

It seems they are having classes right now every couple of months... I know they are hosting the classes in between during training out of state, and going overseas.

I did hear them mention that they were going to work out the schedules to find out when they were going to offer more classes, but I didn't hear any dates.

I would advise jumping on any classes you can... I'm actually signed up for the class this Saturday also.

Aaron

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    lol, yea dave and I caught hell, I had a sigarms hat and was shooting a glock! :-)

Updated original post with the link to FB... thanks!

Aaron

Top Bottom