Absolute Best Hunting Rifle Scope??? Cost is not a factor...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I am looking for opinions on the absolute best hunting scope that I can buy. I am going all out on this one...one and done. Leaning towards the Zeiss Victory Diavari FL or HT.

I know the following are considered to be the best: Zeiss, Swarovski, Schmidt and Bender, Nightforce, Burris, etc.

Looking for best in low light, best image, and I will want a custom laser-etched turret dial like the Leupold CDS dial.

Opinions and thoughts please..

Last edited:

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I would go with the swaro z6 if I could pick any hunting scope. FOV is larger than the Zeiss, it's lighter weight, the 4w reticle give you holds for windage (your welcome for that) and their ballistic turret system is much better than the ASV system that Zeiss is using.

With the BT turret you can either use it like it comes; Choosing you zero plus 5 additional zeros at incraments you choose, or you can have swarovski ballisticly index a collet based on your load data.

SB hunting scopes are so far out of he game it isn't even funny. I'm not counting the PMII series since that is consisted a tactical scope.

If you're ever in Hammond, we're one of the largest distributors in North America for Swarovski, Zeiss, NF, SB, and many others. Come play!

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Opinions and thoughts please..

There is no such thing as a "best" scope. Only "best for my preferences". IG has some quality optics, but you can get quality in a dozen different brands and hundreds of options. Both the Z6 and the Zeiss would suck for me as hunting scopes in any configuration they offer. My point is that nobody but you can say what a "best scope for (insert shooting sport here)" is for you.

cjacobs

SouthernLife
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    There is no such thing as a "best" scope. Only "best for my preferences". IG has some quality optics, but you can get quality in a dozen different brands and hundreds of options. Both the Z6 and the Zeiss would suck for me as hunting scopes in any configuration they offer. My point is that nobody but you can say what a "best scope for (insert shooting sport here)" is for you.

I understand that. That why I'm asked for "opinions" of the best scope based on the following criteria: Looking for best in low light, best image, and I will want a custom laser-etched turret dial like the Leupold CDS dial.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Can you elaborate why?

The only reticle they offer that has windeage marks is a mil-dot that isn't offered in the first focal plane. When I hunt, I am not turning knobs at the time of the shot. Hold overs are much faster and windeage changes need to be accurate at whatever magnification I'm using. I also prefer a thick reticle that will show up against shadows and in low light, thin reticles are for precision range shooting.

madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Nightforce has a hunting line of scope out now. And as mentioned earlier, Swaro is an incredible hunting scope. Ive never looked through the Schmidt Bender hunting scopes, so I dont have much info on those.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Ritten, Which scope do you prefer for hunting?

Right now I'm using a Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15 with the Gen2 XR reticle (now sold as a Tangent Theta TT315M) on my short .308 and on a 7mm Rem Mag. The reticle is a little thin for hunting in general, but I've become pretty familiar shooting with it and can utilize holdovers on the mid-range magnification. Low range mag. such as <300yds there's no need to hold over anyway. Bushnell just developed their LRHS Hunting scope that has all the features I like to see (including top quality glass, FFP, G2 reticle, adjustable elevation, capped windeage, parallax adjustment, and mil/mil turrets.) Both are light weight compared to other scopes with the same features (usually full on tactical scopes) and I can personally vouch that the glass on the Premier continues to pull in enough light to identify deer in deep woods well after shooting light has expired. I'm really thinking of ordering one of the Bushnells to try it out and compare.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    My .02 is that this is impossible to answer without narrowing the parameters of your question. Simply, there are too many options. Side focus/ lens size? tube size? max magnification? the options are almost endless. For a manufacturer Leupold makes scopes with world class lenses and coatings that are second to none. Swarovskii, meopta, kahles ect... are damn fine also
    In the end it will come down to "which of the pretty girls comes home with you", sorry but I am serious. when you start measuring performance with a decimal point it becomes a moot point and your tastes and the options must decide. Go to a place like Interstate that stocks top end optics and use a "try gun" to look thru them and look at the options side by side; if light transmission is what you want look at that, it makes no difference how well it works if the rest of the scope is not to your taste.

If shooting in the dark is what you are after there are green laser designators and night vision with options for infrared, ect... Again, narrow the field a bit.

Last edited:

La Rebel

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is customer service if you have a problem. I was looking at buying a Zeiss DuraLyte with the non-illuminated reticle. Didn't like the reticle so called Zeiss about changing it. I was told they don't offer reticle changes. I started doing a little research and found their customer service sucks all the way around, not just trying to customize something. I've owned Leupolds for years and never had to send one back for service but, have had a couple reticles changed and customer service was great. Lifetime transferrable warranty. That means a lot in my book when I go to spend my hard earned dollars.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom