Absolute or lower 1/3?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What co-witness is preferred on your Aimpoint?

• Total voters

zivadog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I like 1/3 because of the whole site picture that you can see with your head up, both eyes open and the iron sites low in the picture. It must be the situational awareness thing and mostly related to hunting for me, it works great because of the speed at wihich you can get on a moving target. Cheek weld was never a problem for me either way. Just thought that I would post here because just yesterday I changed from separate rear BUIS with a Yankee Hill mount to 1/3 cowitness my Eotech XPS. I found out that the Yankee Hill mount hanging off the front of the upper (apparently it was made for earlier Eotech that don't have the crossways battery) would not allow me to remove the top half of the handguard and the setup was kind of clutsy.

I went with the 1 piece riser and back BUIS from Rock River, this setup does not put the Eotech quite as high as with the YHM mount but when the dot is in the center of the window the irons are still low and out of the sight picture. Much cleaner setup with nothing in the way now. The RRA rear site is fully adjustable both axis and sits on the upper at standard height. A boresite check before and after revealed that I won't have much to adjust when I get to the range or to S Texas, whicever comes first .......

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    And crappy cheek weld. :p

Seriously, didn't I say the vast majority of this in the first response? :twitch:

"1/3rd Advantages:

Not so much clutter in your optic, if you're using fixed and not flip up/down.

Often results from having a higher mounted primary optic, which many suggest promotes better situational awareness. (For me, it means crappy cheek weld...)

The ability to hold two zero's-- 25/200 and 50/300, for example. (Practical? Meh-- I wouldn't know.)"

No one reads me anymore! :wtc:

Why, yes, you did, sir.

I was just restating something that some may be overlooking.

BTW, I DO read you.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Bored, here is a picture of my M4S in a Bobro mount with absolute co-witness through Troy BUIS (small aperture used for this picture):
    351ijo5.jpg

please forgive my cell-phone camera.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom