Academy Sports no longer getting any of my hard earned

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    Apparently they choose Felonious criminals over their own morally righteous employees. I wish I would have known this before, I could have spent my money with businesses that care about doing the right and proper thing.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I’m pretty sure they can get in more trouble than fired for trying to stop them, including legal issues…. Including being sued by company and individual for any and all reasons…

as messed up as it seems pretty much all stores have a no contact rule for theft of any kind…

you might not be able to shop anywhere if you went by that standard

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Possibly, but now I know for sure whom they side with. Just like Dick's when they spit on the Second Amendment, I will choose not to spend my money with those whom support criminals.

don't think this is about "supporting criminals" its about not getting sued for millions of $ from the suspect if he slips and hurts hisself while stealing and/or having to pay out millions to the family's of the workers or innocent customers cause they chased somebody stealing something and ended up getting ran over or shot on the clock... its all about liability let them go and let the LE handle it.

Any big box story or cooperation has the same policy... Its actually only legal for trained loss and prevention agents to only ask the perp to stay in the store they cannot forcibly hold somebody ... They are not lawfully allowed to put there hands on a suspect

WilsonCombatant

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    New Orleans
    People started finding out these stores’ policies and that’s why these things are happening now. It’s really bad in California. They go in as mobs and just ransack luxury fashion stores. It’s wild. It’s getting more common in New Orleans since they know NOPD is understaffed and too busy to show up quickly to non-life threatening calls.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    They stopped getting my $ when they wouldn't use my lifetime CHP for a firearm purchase. They seemed to be unaware that the law had changed. Went right to Bass Pro and made the purchase with it.
    you still have to fill out the paper work even with lifetime, 5year or no permit ... so they called it in and got a delay or rejected? you just didnt like that they had to call it in, or what happened?

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Not allowed to chase the shoplifter.. Fired because the exited the front porch of the store but stayed on the sidewalk....... Now let us say that someone gets shot / robbed / killed with this stolen gun and after tracing back to the local store that the family goes legal lawsuits after the local store as well as corporate because their policy does not allow to do due dillagence to stop/attempt to detain/ failure to regain possession of the stolen firearm which allowed some person to get physically........ ....................... drill sgt.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Not allowed to chase the shoplifter.. Fired because the exited the front porch of the store but stayed on the sidewalk....... Now let us say that someone gets shot / robbed / killed with this stolen gun and after tracing back to the local store that the family goes legal lawsuits after the local store as well as corporate because their policy does not allow to do due dillagence to stop/attempt to detain/ failure to regain possession of the stolen firearm which allowed some person to get physically........ ....................... drill sgt.
    no diff from them trying to sue gun manufactures for making guns, mags, bump stocks, braces ect that are used in mass shootings... already happening

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    "Sutton said that they were let go due to Academy Sports + Outdoors policy on loss prevention, which states that employees are not allowed to chase or physically restrain a fleeing person suspected of theft."

According to the person in the story, they weren't chasing after the criminals.

"Loss prevention associates or managers are allowed to detain a suspect who has exited the store by approaching the person at a 'non-threatening distance' and asking them to step back into the store."

Apparently Academy and I have different definitions for "detain." You deciding to come back into the store because I politely asked you to from a non-threatening distance does not meet my definition of detain.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    you still have to fill out the paper work even with lifetime, 5year or no permit ... so they called it in and got a delay or rejected? you just didnt like that they had to call it in, or what happened?
    They don't submit it to NICS when using the CHP. They wouldn't let me use my CHP as an ID because they were still following the old rule that the lifetime doesn't have an expiration date, so it can't be used. I even showed them the new rule saying it could be used but they said their corp policy hadn't changed. And this was a couple of years after the rule change. It just annoyed me, so screw em. Although, they're all probably owned by the same company up the line somewhere, so they get the last laugh...

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    As much as I don’t like the rule personally it’s an Academy policy and the policy of just about every big box store in America. They typically don’t want or allow employees to engage with shoplifters. Loss prevention members and managers are typically the only people “allowed” to confront a shoplifter. I don’t agree with it but can definitely understand why a store would implement a policy like this.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    The math is easy - they lose, say $1,000 on a pistol vs a comp claim and lawsuit. If I ran a big box store, I wouldn't let employees engage either. They probably lose as much as that pistol cost in internal theft every week.

I often wonder why they don't require an ID to let folks handle firearms now. You have to present one to buy a firearm, so if you are Academy, why not get it upfront? Not that I wouldn't bitch about that too...

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    The math is easy - they lose, say $1,000 on a pistol vs a comp claim and lawsuit. If I ran a big box store, I wouldn't let employees engage either. They probably lose as much as that pistol cost in internal theft every week.
    I bet they lose 2 or 3 times that a week to shoplifting. Maybe more. And we the consumers ultimately foot that bill 100% by higher prices. Theft loss is just another operating expense these days, so much of it going on. Some big stores close because of shoplifting, some big names have closed stores because of it. I have read the articles. The only reason you close a walmart or Best buy location is because it is no longer profitable. Or their insurance cost is thru the roof due to inventory loss (stealing). Frequently their own employees steal inventory too.

I ran across a guy on the Craigslist Baton Rouge. He was selling new tools like from Home Depot or Lowes. All kinds of tools, and portable generators too. Lots of it. You know how he got those items? I would not buy from him because I realized how he got it, he had so many listings. And he is operating/selling right on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. I was searching for a port gen, and he had listed a few of them. Surely the cops must have a squad or section committed to these sort of crimes?
    And I'm sure he's not the only one doing it. He did use some layer of autonomy in his listings, and his comms. But ultimately he has to meet up with a buyer and trade a product for $. The cops don't seek out and bust these people?
    We the consumers pay for this, all of it. More FUBAR in our society today.

on line search quote: "Driving the news: Target, Walmart, Nordstrom, Macy's, CVS and others have blamed losses from organized shoplifting for their decision to shutter stores, particularly in urban areas." Oct 2, 2023

Target closing stores article

Last edited:

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I agree completely - its a race to the bottom. And most retail experiences 25% or more of their theft from employees. Which is crazy to me.

With the shoplifting, I see no great answer. Retail relied on society not tolerating certain behaviors, but in a world where everyone gets a trophy all of the time, that model is past broken.

If big box has to operate like a jewelry store that only lets in a few folks at a time, they can't operate. It starts to look like the SkyNet model (amazon...) is the "best" answer which just plain sucks.

And there aren't enough LEO's to handle murders in BTR (my area) where they "solve" fewer than half, so shoplifting can't be high on their list.

Top Bottom