ACC Blackout

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    I am looking at three bolt action rifles chambered in the 300 Blackout: Rem. 700, ACC/Rem Model 7 and the Mossberg Patrol. I will use it exclusively for short to medium range deer hunting, probably with the Barnes 110 gr. Vortex. The main difference in the rifles as far as my concerns at this time (no intent to silence) is the rate of twist. Do you recommend 1:7 or 1:8? Thanks

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    I don't see that it will make a bunch of difference........I use a 1/8 not by choice it was just what I bought and I am happy with it (AR platform). The good thing about using a boltgun is that you won't be constrained with what will fit in a magazine and can load them long if need be!! I don't see much use for anything much longer then 16 to 18" with the 300, as it gets a complete burn with the right powder and shorter barrels.....don't hold much powder anyway!! :)

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    The model 7 had well documented feeding problems when it was released. It may be resolved now but I would stick with the 700, proven platform. I don't know anything about the Mossberg.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a 700 AAC tactical and I finally got to shoot it this weekend. That 5R rifled barrel shoots LIGHTS OUT. It is probably the most accurate gun I have considering I didn't hand load or anything yet and it shot a .780" 5 round group at 100 yards with it with Hornady 110 grain V-max

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    When the 300 BLK first came out, almost all rifles were 1:8. The 1:7 allows for subs heavier than 220 grains to be stabilized without hesitation. A lot of people got pretty butt hurt when AAC and other companies started producing the 1:7 barrels shortly after the initial release but my 1:8 gun didn't suddenly start shooting poorly so no care. Moral of the story is, unless you want to shoot some subs heavier than 220, twist rate really doesn't matter. And as others have asked, 1:7 is not too fast for 110 grain bullets.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am looking at three bolt action rifles chambered in the 300 Blackout: Rem. 700, ACC/Rem Model 7 and the Mossberg Patrol. I will use it exclusively for short to medium range deer hunting, probably with the Barnes 110 gr. Vortex. The main difference in the rifles as far as my concerns at this time (no intent to silence) is the rate of twist. Do you recommend 1:7 or 1:8? Thanks

Not to challenge you, but more out of curiosity:

If you have "no intent to silence," then why are you interested in a 300BLK bolt gun? Seems like there are a lot of other options in the .30 cal/7.62 realm.

JDIZZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Central La
    Not to challenge you, but more out of curiosity:

If you have "no intent to silence," then why are you interested in a 300BLK bolt gun? Seems like there are a lot of other options in the .30 cal/7.62 realm.
    I think most just like the unique caliber.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom