Accidental Shooting.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    This morning on HLN I saw a story about a man who shot and killed is 7 year old son. His only excuse was "I didn't know it was loaded." He Has to live with that the rest of his life. I don't think I could if it were me. I know all of you serious shooters out there (like my self) always handle our weapons like they are loaded, even after clearing and checking them our selves. Please please continue to do so all the time, and if you see some one doing something unsafe stop them and talk with them in a non confrontational manner to educate them a little. The life you save could be your own.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Always check the chamber.
    7-year-old fatally shot by father outside gun store in Pennsylvania

Police say Joseph Loughrey and his son, Craig, had just left the store.

Loughrey was at the shop attempting to sell two hand guns.

When he was leaving, he put the long gun in the back of the truck, while his son climbed into his booster seat on the passenger side.

Loughrey had a .9 mm semi-automatic Tarus in his hand when he got inside.

*He got in the drivers side of the car, had a .9 mm gun in his hand, was setting it in the center console and it discharged, hitting his son in the upper right chest,* Lt. Eric Hermick with the Pennsylvania State Police said.

The force was so great, it pushed the boy back and shattered the window behind him.

Police say Loughrey initially started driving away to take his son to the hospital, but stopped, pulled him out and attempted CPR.

Loughrey told police he though the gun was not loaded.

*Instead of checking it, they’ll pull the magazine out and they will not check the chamber,* Mohney said. *It’s just an unfortunate incident.*

The magazine was empty, but the bullet came from the chamber.
    3900.jpg
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...t-by-father-outside-gun-store-in-pennsylvania
    http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/12/08/fatal-shooting-in-mercer-co/

Last edited:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    He violated three of the four universal safety rules.
    Adherence to any one of the three would have prevented this tragedy.

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    Very sad story. He went to a gun store to try and sell the gun and a rifle. I'd bet it was to have more money for Christmas.

jussaddwata

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Prairieville
    Very sad story. He went to a gun store to try and sell the gun and a rifle. I'd bet it was to have more money for Christmas.

Your probably right.....now he has to live with this the rest of his life.....It will be a long difficult journey. ...no doubt about it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    All guns are always loaded! It's the one thing that seems so hard for even hardcore gun guys to understand! Every gun in my house and safe is loaded. I don't unload them unless preparing them to be cleaned. When showing them to friends I tell them it's a loaded gun so be careful. After telling them that they always handle it like it's a delicate crystal vase.

Top Bottom