active duty .mil ccw

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slogan412

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Bunkie
    I am active duty right now in the USMC, I get out in 9 months. Can I submit my ccw package for LA while still in North Carolina. I dont really want to get my CHL for
    NC and have to transfer it to LA at the end of 2013. I currently also have a valid pistol qual so i wouldnt have to go to a class(right?)

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I am active duty right now in the USMC, I get out in 9 months. Can I submit my ccw package for LA while still in North Carolina. I dont really want to get my CHL for
    NC and have to transfer it to LA at the end of 2013. I currently also have a valid pistol qual so i wouldnt have to go to a class(right?)

If you have orders to LA, you're a resident. Get your ID card from the DMV. There is still the 6 month period you have to be a resident, but a copy of your orders showing a report date more than 6 months prior to applying should suffice (it did for me. I had my ID issued a couple weeks before I applied, but I just had to show that I was in the state for 6 months prior to applying... I think I used my lease agreement for my apartment.)

ABNsurveyor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Polk area
    Your DD214 must have your pistol qualification badge listed, if they do not list it when it is prepared you can use a photo of your score card from the range. Your last "small arms" qualification must be within the last 60 months for active duty/reserve or recently discharged. I am retired and used a copy of my score card, if you use a score card you still have to submit a copy of your DD214.

Official link to Louisiana concealed handgun permit unit:

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#training

Last edited:

slogan412

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Bunkie
    If you have orders to LA, you're a resident. Get your ID card from the DMV. There is still the 6 month period you have to be a resident, but a copy of your orders showing a report date more than 6 months prior to applying should suffice (it did for me. I had my ID issued a couple weeks before I applied, but I just had to show that I was in the state for 6 months prior to applying... I think I used my lease agreement for my apartment.)

I have always been a resident of LA as I was born and raised there and never became a resident of North Carolina. I was really asking can I just send off the paper work to start the process while still stationed at Camp Lejeune, or will I have to wait till I get out and move back home for good?

slogan412

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Bunkie
    Your DD214 must have your pistol qualification badge listed, if they do not list it when it is prepared you can use a photo of your score card from the range. Your last "small arms" qualification must be within the last 60 months for active duty/reserve or recently discharged. I am retired and used a copy of my score card, if you use a score card you still have to submit a copy of your DD214.

A dd214 is just a statement of discharge honorable or otherwise, right I've never seen one that had small arms qualifications on it but rather personal awards, I.E. Combat Action Ribbon, Navy and Marine Corps Acheivement Medal, etc... But I can print off a copy of my training record, also requaled with the m9 about 8 months back so thats gtg.

ldn0125

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Call the LSP CHP department and speak directly to Wendy if possible -- and if not, to Sgt. King. Only they can give you the correct answer. You can find their number by visiting the link that was posted above.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    completion of small arms training while serving in the military (as evidenced by a DD-214), [active service members, reservist and national guard members must include a clear photocopy of their military ID (front & back) with a copy of their last qualification record from their 201 file], or possession of a current valid license to carry a concealed weapon issued by a parish law enforcement officer.

that is what you need if youre still active and dont have a dd214. i asked my s1 shop about that and they had no clue wtf i was talking about. hopefully your s1 isnt a bunch of turds (who am i kidding? :rolleyes:) but like everyone else mentioned i would still call LSP and talk with them to be 100%

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Just a slight correction here

. 'Small Arms' training, as referred to by the LSP, is NOT handgun/pistol training.
    Small arms is being referred to as Rifles & Pistols as compared to Crew Serve Weapons and beyond.

Therefore it is not required to have had pistol training. Merely that you have had small arms training(Rifle or Pistol). Qualifying of course with either one. Not qualifying means it's not even on your DD214.

jquinnett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Hitman,
    On my DD214 (for the Air Force anyway) my marksmanship Award/Qualification is listed as rife and/or pistol. How ever it's been 20 plus years ago, so to the class I went. I'v been told there are instructors out there offering classes for "home bound" folks that do not have to fire a gun since they are "Veteran's". My understanding is range fire is required so how can this be ?

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Hitman,
    On my DD214 (for the Air Force anyway) my marksmanship Award/Qualification is listed as rife and/or pistol. How ever it's been 20 plus years ago, so to the class I went. I'v been told there are instructors out there offering classes for "home bound" folks that do not have to fire a gun since they are "Veteran's". My understanding is range fire is required so how can this be ?

If true the instructors are breaking the law.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Hitman,

If true the instructors are breaking the law.

^What he said^

You might also have your info messed up etc. You know He said, she said get's mixed real quick when possibly the actual CHP Instructor meant that he'd assist 'New' Veterans in getting their CHP and they won't have to fire a shot. Which is true for the most part. Also true is not having the need for a CHP instructor at all if you're in the position as a new Vet. but knowing one will help you get your paper work in order so this could have been what the instructor was talking about which somehow and often easily got turned into 'This guy said he can get Vets their CHP without firing a shot'

:dunno: … but you get the point ;)

Regardless you will have to attend a Full Class b/c there is only a 60 month window(From EAS Date) for Military Service Personnel to skip the normally required training.

Last edited:

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    Just a slight correction here

. 'Small Arms' training, as referred to by the LSP, is NOT handgun/pistol training.
    Small arms is being referred to as Rifles & Pistols as compared to Crew Serve Weapons and beyond.

Therefore it is not required to have had pistol training. Merely that you have had small arms training(Rifle or Pistol). Qualifying of course with either one. Not qualifying means it's not even on your DD214.

I have to go look at my 214 again, but I believe it had my Expert pistol ribbon listed. Is that sufficient?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have to go look at my 214 again, but I believe it had my Expert pistol ribbon listed. Is that sufficient?

TRAINING
    Original/First-Time Applicants:
    In addition to meeting the qualifications in R.S. 40:1379.3(C), an applicant must demonstrate competence with a handgun by completion of an approved firearms safety or training course taught by an NRA or P.O.S.T. certified instructor that is registered with State Police, or completion of small arms training while serving in the military (as evidenced by a DD-214), [active service members, reservist and national guard members must include a clear photocopy of their military ID (front & back) with a copy of their last qualification record from their 201 file], or possession of a current valid license to carry a concealed weapon issued by a parish law enforcement officer.

Top Bottom