Actual non-trolling question about hurricane prep

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I guess, if you want to do all that.

As for your trick with the ice, let me go slightly one better. Freeze a cup of water in advance of a storm. Put a penny on the frozen surface of the water before you leave. If the penny falls all the way to the bottom, you have a freezer full of death. If it didn't go all the way to the bottom, the food is still good.

pretty smart.

For brief power outages etc I have the chargeable flash lights that you just leave plugged in - when the power goes out they kick on. Water storage I keep a couple dozen gallons frozen anyway so never had to really struggle- but it helps when the rain starts falling to fill your tub/sink/washing machine with water. If you need it to flush toilets, wash, etc it'll be there. If you don't need it, it still gets used.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    pretty smart..

Of course it is! :D

This should be SOP in all hunting/fishing camps that have freezers too. You never know if the power went out Sunday night after you left, spoiled your food and then came back on and refroze your stuff by Friday when you got back. ;)

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    This is extreme. Do you know that I have lived in New Orleans for over 40 years since 1963 and never, not once, did any windows in any of the houses I lived in (Uptown and the Lakefront), nor any of the windows in any of my friends or relatives houses ever be broken during any hurricane?

Now, I won't say it would never happen; but this is a huge expense to undertake not to mention the storage of this stuff.

I was downtown New Orleans on Poydras and St Charles for Katrina ( Had to stay for work) There were at least 1000 windows blow out including 28 on my building. The roofs are ballasted by rock on buildings and the rock (along with many other things became air born) came threw like bullets !

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Oh, you'll know alright. You'll know with a vengeance!

Sure, the clearly obvious stuff. This protects you from the subtle contamination. Some common items can attract toxins from decomposition in minimal time spans outside of temperature with no telltale visible or sensory signs.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I was downtown New Orleans on Poydras and St Charles for Katrina ( Had to stay for work) There were at least 1000 windows blow out including 28 on my building. The roofs are ballasted by rock on buildings and the rock (along with many other things became air born) came threw like bullets !

That was huge facades of glass on large buildings. That was not widespread on family dwellings even in Katrina. Again, I am not saying it won't happen! I am saying it is most likely not necessary based on historical evidence.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    That was huge facades of glass on large buildings. That was not widespread on family dwellings even in Katrina. Again, I am not saying it won't happen! I am saying it is most likely not necessary based on historical evidence.

never boarded a window. never had one break. just saying. Shingles on the other hand...

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    But with living under sea level and behind levees, that is the risk you take if you stay regardless. When the levee at 17th Street broke, it was 4 feet of water at the corner of Stafford Place and Fleur De Lis Drive in about 40 minutes. You aren't going anywhere in that scenario anyway. So say you do hear about a breach, and you haul ass? What if you don't make it to the safety outside of the levee system you are trying to escape from? Now you are on you car roof until you either swim or get rescued.

And if you stay and let yourself be worried about levee breaches, then you ought not stay. And if you have a family, you really don't want to chance flooding with them. It's one thing to swim to a roof if you live alone; it's a whole other enchilada if you have a wife, girlfriend, elder parent or relative, and heaven forbid young ones.

I am good with a "Go Bag", but they already make waterproof bags for kayaking/canoeing/diving. Dry bags.

I would say Levee breaches are always a concern if you live in Southern Louisiana. Not only from overtopping, but from things impacting the levee... barges breaking loose from moorings, etc. This is a concern 24/7... not just during hurricanes. A levee could breach at any given time... is it likely? no. But it definitely could happen. A barge, a ship out of control, saturation, etc... If a Levee breached at 1am from an incident and you're sound asleep, and you awaken to the feel of water in your bed... there's no warning for that. You have no choice but to survive with your family.

As for the waterproof backpacks or dry bags... great idea, but in the instance of someone not spending the money... use what you've got.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    never boarded a window. never had one break. just saying. Shingles on the other hand...

I know plenty who've never boarded up. I personally have pre-cut boards for my windows... not even so much for the storm, but for what could happen following the storm.

I would rather the added security provided not only for flying debris, but for looters/criminals/etc. Chances are they're not carring power drills to remove the screws and will move on to the next house that ISN'T boarded up. :)

With them being pre-cut... its very simple and easy to put them up. Sturdy shutters that secure from the inside are even easier.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I would say Levee breaches are always a concern if you live in Southern Louisiana. Not only from overtopping, but from things impacting the levee... barges breaking loose from moorings, etc. This is a concern 24/7... not just during hurricanes. A levee could breach at any given time... is it likely? no. But it definitely could happen. A barge, a ship out of control, saturation, etc... If a Levee breached at 1am from an incident and you're sound asleep, and you awaken to the feel of water in your bed... there's no warning for that. You have no choice but to survive with your family.

As for the waterproof backpacks or dry bags... great idea, but in the instance of someone not spending the money... use what you've got.

This is all true, but keep in mind when a hurricane is approaching you are talking bout high above normal sea levels which make the danger of massive flooding a la Katrina that much more significant. As for a barge strike, unless it is during the Spring thaw when the River gets to its annual high water marks, it is not likely to cause mass flooding.

New Orleans is under sea level; but it's not Atlantis! :mamoru:

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    WaterShed makes a darn good waterproof bag. If'n you're in the market. Expensive though. But, their backpacks also do quite well as a liner for your existing ruck.

Patagonia also makes a decent duffel that is water resistant called the Black Hole. I use mine for regular travel and its held up well.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I know plenty who've never boarded up. I personally have pre-cut boards for my windows... not even so much for the storm, but for what could happen following the storm.

I have a couple pre-cut for the same reason, post-storm. I cut them to the largest of the windows with lines drawn on the same boards for the smaller windows. If i need them, I plan to cut with a battery powered saw and use the plylox clips to hold them in.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

I would rather the added security provided not only for flying debris, but for looters/criminals/etc. Chances are they're not carring power drills to remove the screws and will move on to the next house that ISN'T boarded up. :)

With them being pre-cut... its very simple and easy to put them up. Sturdy shutters that secure from the inside are even easier.

Pre-cut with a game plan with a neighbor for helping each other screw them up is the way to go. Inexpensive and it gets the job done.

Also, can we talk about the sleep you get after a storm? Don't have to go to work for a couple days, and the whole house is dark? I could sleep till noon!

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Now, we use a small window unit to keep one room cool using a generator with a tri-fuel kit (nat gas, propane, gasoline). But, I started with a deep cycle 12v batter, an inverter and a good fan for Katrina.

In addition to alot of what was already said, I would recommend a hand crank radio, a stack of tarps, some rope, and a camp stove. I still wonder why people do not have a couple of tarps and a few of the basic water containers (like for camping) on hand prior to a storm approaching. I still think of the lines of people standing in line in BR after Katrina and Gustav in 100F heat to get a FEMA tarp and a case of water.

Like someone said, you usually have days in advance to prepare for a hurricane but you shouldn't wait to do all preparation in the last 48 hours.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I have a couple pre-cut for the same reason, post-storm. I cut them to the largest of the windows with lines drawn on the same boards for the smaller windows. If i need them, I plan to cut with a battery powered saw and use the plylox clips to hold them in.

Just don't forget "View" holes as well. Especially on the front door if it has a window.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As mentioned tarps are worth gold if you need them. If running a gas generator, then extension cords(heavy duty), and oil are your friend. The little generators need oil changed frequently, I change mine every 50 hrs or so. Fans are good too. Lots of people figure out how to wire their generators to their fuse panels. You can't run the a/c but maybe a room or two, certainly the fridge.

I recommend a Husqvarna or Stihl chainsaw, stay away from that Poulan crap! One of your neighbors can help you with the operation I'm sure. That's another thing, get to know your neighbors, they can help, but when elderly or infirmed they may need yours. To me, one of the coolest things about not having power(if there is one)is the time spent with friends, neighbors, and family when there's no TV, computer, work, etc., to distract from real life! You really get to spend "real time" with folks you wouldn't normally.

Oh, another thing. A long handled axe and small hand maul. These are handy to use as a wedge to keep from pinching chainsaw bar in logs. Back to chainsaws. I use a Stihl MS250. Not the biggest not the smallest but a work horse. It has served me well at work for 10 years. Starting fluid with Ether is also your friend. Confused yet!!!

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Another option I've heard of is to get a dryer cable and put the recepticle on it for the generator. You can back-feed your generator to your electrical system through the dryer outlet in your wash-room.

CAUTION: Just remember to ALWAYS throw (turn off) your main breaker from your breaker box. That will also eliminate your killing of an electical company worker when they are fixing lines that they believe to be discharged.

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for anyone who attempts this. I do no support it in any way!!

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Another option I've heard of is to get a dryer cable and put the recepticle on it for the generator. You can back-feed your generator to your electrical system through the dryer outlet in your wash-room.

CAUTION: Just remember to ALWAYS throw (turn off) your main breaker from your breaker box. That will also eliminate your killing of an electical company worker when they are fixing lines that they believe to be discharged.

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for anyone who attempts this. I do no support it in any way!!

Please be careful if you do this. It gets the job done, but you can for real kill somebody working on the line if your breaker is on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom