AD at Nick's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    One of my clients was at Nick's yesterday and was almost the recipient of an accidental discharge. Keeping in mind this is 2nd hand info:
    two guys signed up for a year membership, then backed their car up to the firing line. The line was cold. One popped the trunk and removed a bolt action rifle (.300 win mag or something similar). He approached the line while trying to open the bolt and waving the gun around. My client had his back to this so didn't see it coming. Before the range officer could get over there, and about 3 feet behind my client, the rifle went off and the round went through the cover. The muzzle blast bounced off the ceiling and flattened my client (or he was diving for cover, not that I'd blame him!).
    The range officer grabbed the barrel then because the idiot was trying to chamber the next round! They sent the offenders into the office for a refund while telling them not to even look at the range again while driving past!

We're getting close to hunting season, so keep an extra close watch on the new members at the range, where ever you are... the once-a-year shooters are out in force.

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    I was there too. By my recollection, he got set up on a bench and fired a shot. He lifted his rifle and worked his action chambering another round. The gun was pointed at the cover when he did this. He had the AD and the range officer reacted as you wrote. The line was hot when the AD occurred I'm pretty sure it was a 7mm rem. mag. I gathered up the brass after he left. All your other details are the same as I remember it. By the way the range officer handled this situation very well.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Like I said, I wasn't there. The guy involved thought Nick's handled the situation as well as it could have been. He certainly wasn't upset with them. He was pretty shook up after that happened also (again I can't blame him). He's a pretty cool old guy if you get the chance to talk to him out there again.

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    No problem, I was just wanting to give a second observation. No two people will ever tell a story like this the same. I really surprised that your second hand story agrees as well as it does with mine. The small details really don't matter that much. The man had an AD and didn't respond very well to the directions of the RO. He was asked to leave. Eventually he was told to leave and never return. I thought that Nick was being generous giving him a refund on his year long membership, but I understand why they did it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    LSP, Wear your vest, plus the plate, and maybe somebody else's vest on top! I went out to Pear River Range just before hunting season a few years ago. Never again!

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    10 bucks says Zacks M11 with run at least 2 ppl off the range, couple that with some Non Supressed M16, thats good for 2 more..

Top Bottom