Added a inspection hole to my 1911 to check a chambered round tonite

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    I got this idea from a friend of mine and decided to give it a try on my 1911. Unloaded the weapon, removed the slide and barrel and used some masking tape on the barrel to be able to mark the center of the top of the barrel. Started with what I thought was a good depth and marked it on the tape also and got the dremil out and stacked 3 of the thin grinding wheels together to be able to cut straight without it walking around and got after it. Once I cut to the correct depth, I went to the 1/8th of an inch grind bit and re-slotted what I had already cut to the correct depth and in about 5 minutes it was done. The cutting was easier than I thought and it went quicker and easier than expected.

I love the outcome and gonna do it to all my 1911's. It's a easy and great mod. No more pulling the slide back to inspect for a round in my 1911's.

Should post pics tomorrow!

...................bobby

Last edited:

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    I guess I should have put this in the gunsmithing section, but it's really just a mod from my perspective. Simple and very clean idea and of course someone on here has probably already done it.

.................bobby

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Vince,

The barrel on my Gold Cup was cut like that 20 years ago. I can show you mine if you like. Let me know and I'll bring it to the store or run by your shop so you can have a better view.

Bryan aka:beauxdog

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I wonder why the no engineers who design handguns do that anywhere? Maybe there's a reason?

All Kimber 1911 centerfire pistols now include the Loaded Chamber Indicator Port feature. When a round is in the chamber and light is available, the brass or silver color of the shell casing should be visible through the port in the barrel hood. This feature is another example of Kimber's commitment to firearm safety. However, one must never assume a firearm is unloaded until both the chamber and magazine are empty and the magazine is removed. Even then, all established rules of firearm safety must always be followed.

Isn't this what the OP is talking about doing?

DSC_0370.jpg

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    S&W puts them in all the M&P semiautos. Or at least they did as of the time I bought my last M&P model ~ 2.5 years back. I think it's dumb. It's a solution looking for a problem.

I find it especially ridiculous because when the chamber is empty, I look down in there and see bright shiny polished white metal. If I have a hollow point with plated brass, I look down in there and see bright shiny polished white metal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I have brass in there, sure. But if I have polished cases in there, I'd end up staring at it longer than it'd take to just do a damned press check.

I honestly think a lot of "mods" are just excuses for people to play with tools and their gun and try to feel like they did something special. Whether this is the case, I don't know, but it usually strikes me as such.

Pic related:
    SW-MP-5.jpg

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    IMG_0003.jpg

Barel with round in it

IMG_0006.jpg

Tape on the barrel to mark center line

IMG_0009.jpg

Depth marked and time to dremil

*** and for those who have no skills and jealous of people with guns who can work on them.....stay home!!! LOL (You know who you are!)

...................bobby

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    IMG_0022.jpg

Compared to a factory barrel with the inspection port already in it.

IMG_0024.jpg

1911 loaded to show round in chamber!

Hope you enjoy the thread!

......................bobby

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Good job. Better than what I've seen when /most/ people talk about having taken a dremel to their gun.

The one pic looks like the edges are a little rough yet. If you haven't cleaned it up yet, I'd get a fine round / rat tail file and get at it. A small diameter dowel or metal rod with some sandpaper can do the trick too, after it's smoothed out enough.

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    There is no extreme pressure exerted on this part of the barrel because over 3/4's of the barrel is missing on the bottom of the barrel as you can see from the pics and it's where the strongest part of the brass casing is located at the rim! So, as you can see the factory does it as others have posted. If you have skills and not scared of working on your own guns, enjoy them and non risky mods that pose no danger to the weapon or you. Go for it, just as long as you know the risk. You can mess up! LOL

I will do my Desert Eagle 1911 next!

...................bobby

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    Good job. Better than what I've seen when /most/ people talk about having taken a dremel to their gun.

The one pic looks like the edges are a little rough yet. If you haven't cleaned it up yet, I'd get a fine round / rat tail file and get at it. A small diameter dowel or metal rod with some sandpaper can do the trick too, after it's smoothed out enough.

Thanks, I saw that and not sure why the pic came out that way and what is causing the shadows. As you can see from the other pics, it's perfectly round!

...................bobby

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    My springfield Mil-spec that is about 15? or so years old has this feature. As JNieman said, I find it difficult to see the case in there, and find it easier to press check.
    For those looking to do this to a 1911, FWIW, I've had no ill effects from mine being there, and I've put probably 8000 or so rounds through that barrel. Your barrel may have different metal properties, do this at your own risk, but know that mine has been fine.

Top Bottom