Added a inspection hole to my 1911 to check a chambered round tonite

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    :doh: Makes sense, for some reason, I couldn't place where he was grinding at.

Yall would laugh, where I was originally thinking the grinding took place. I know, I know.................................

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    :doh: Makes sense, for some reason, I couldn't place where he was grinding at.

Yall would laugh, where I was originally thinking the grinding took place. I know, I know.................................

I thought he cut a hole in the top of the barrel. I almost replied asking but then I thought I should wait and see.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    A proper press check allows you to positively verify whether or not there is a round in the chamber. You touch it with your finger. Thats useful say... in the dark.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    A proper press check allows you to positively verify whether or not there is a round in the chamber. You touch it with your finger. Thats useful say... in the dark.
    Yep...much better IMO. On some guns the ejector sticks out a little. On some Brownings...They used to paint part of the ejector red...Indicating when a round is chambered for a visual but also would work in the dark since it stuck out a bit.

Big Jake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    I would like to ask respectfuly and in a humble manner for someone to address the intent of the mod. Let's please seperate the quality issue for now. I didn't see where the Op (twin) was advocating press check over the Inspection hole. IMHO the intent is a convenience factor. Let's not forget the elephant in the room. My new Ruger sr1911 commander has one from the factory. Sure say the gun is crap but why would many manufactures add this feature. IMHO I say its like the saftey on the gun. Not necessarily needed nor the end all to depend on in every situation. It may be useful in the manner he using his gun at times. I would add the orginal 1911 mags to the best of my knowledge didn't have round count holes. When the first one was mod. Did someone have the opionion the best way to know how many rds in the mag was to unload and count? Therefore the holes are useless and unloading and counting would be useful say in the dark. Please reply respectfuly, these are questions for the sake of gaining your humble opionion
    Thanks

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I would like to ask respectfuly and in a humble manner for someone to address the intent of the mod. Thanks

I would figure that the intention of the mod is a quick way to visually verify you have a chambered round. There are times when I'm going somewhere I can't bring a gun (kids school, ect) and I prefer to take the chambered round out and put it back in the magazine, so I am not leaving an un-holstered chambered glock in the car waiting to get bumped or something as my kids get in or I put in a backpack (yes, I am 1 round down from a fully loaded gun, flame away, it works for my lifestyle.) and I don't have a loose round rolling around waiting to get lost. If I carried a 1911, it may be handy to have a way to quickly visually check if it was chambered or not. As you said, enough people think it is a good idea that many guns, my Springfield 1911 included, come this way.

As far as it not being polished and not looking like it came from the factory, I don't polish my 3/8 socket if I grind it to fit a particular application. It is his tool, and if he modified it to his satisfaction and it fits his needs and accomplishes the function for which he modified it, then more power to him. Better than paying for a job he could do for himself.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    If I post a video showing a high end 1911 maker using dremels to make their guns will y'all shut the **** up about what you don't know about?

I can do **** on a mill and cut things precise and nice - but jesus - some **** (especially your OWN guns) are just ****ing fine with a steady hand and a dremel.

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    I did the mod because it's NOT the only gun I carry or shoot! I have numerous weapons that I feel like carrying or taking with me to shoot and my revolvers and other auto with the tattle tail let you know they are loaded. Sometimes my 1911 (and I have two), it's hard to remember if had loaded it or not or which one I did load. It could be 6 months since I picked it up. This way I can glance at my 1911 and know in an instance that it's ready or not, like my other trusty pistols and revolvers! Plus I didn't just decide to do this on my own without research, I have seen other 1911 from the factory with the same inspection port just like the one I did and it's a simple mod. We do them at our own risk and if I mess up and it looks like a pile of dog...you know! I will buy another barrel. But I love working with my hands and doing things that others wouldn't dream of...but that's me!

Oh! It's my 1911....why would I sell it! If your mod is done well, you will not lose any money for it. Unless you into name dropping with gunsmiths then this mod isn't for you. You lose more on a 1911 just by carrying or shooting because as the 1911 owners know, with all the sharp edges on the weapon...they show wear. If it's a beauty queen in a safe it won't and that's a different story! LOL

....................bobby

Last edited:

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    Having trouble posting my AK build for some reason. Wanted to show my AK weapon build from a cut up out of service kit! Now that was fun, but for some reason pics will not post today!

Sorry..................bobby

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Saying that you cut on your gun doesn't help resale.. Nobody wants a gun from a hack wanna be gunsmith because they generally are known to be..... Well, hacks.

Even if you did a good job, it will only decrease its value.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I have no need to cut up my 1911, as the chamber is ALWAYS loaded, unless the slide is locked back waiting for another magazine to be inserted.

On the rare occasion the chamber IS empty, the action is open. Such as when the range is cold.

All of my firearms are loaded always. Eliminates confusion and prevents carelessness. The only exception is en-route to, or at the range.

My Mk III has a loaded chamber indicator that I am about to spend $25 to get rid of.

Not knocking your modification. Just not for me, but then again, I'm curmudgeonly. I can't stand serrations on the front of a 1911 slide either.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I wasn't criticizing his mod. I was only stating my preference.

FWIW....I think I did something similar to one of my guns years ago. And I was also happy with the mod. Hats off to the OP. I'll add....I did some things to guns I regretted...and some mods I was totally happy with. But....I never really let it bother me as far as resale...because it was always done for what I thought was a safety factor or as a reliability factor.
    And those two things trump resale every time IMO.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Nope. Unless it was a fairly well known gunsmith, mods will devalue the gun..... provided the buyer knows that it was modded.

A well executed mod is a well executed mod, it does not matter who I did it. Now if you lack the ability to determine whether the mod was done properly you may think that it is important to know who did it. Having a well know gunsmith do a mod does not guarantee quality or correctness.

I would rather be able to determine whether the mod is done properly than know who did it. This usually requires intimate knowledge of the gun, the mod and the correct way to perform it. This knowledge is what I strive to possess. This line of reasoning may not be for everyone but I hope it sheds some light on reaftions and thought processes regarding the matter at hand.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Port holes are an added "safety" feature by the manufacturers for those that are absent minded and can't remember if they chambered a round and it also helps cut back on accidentally discharging when you do not maintain proper finger control when pulling the slide back to see if a round is chambered . I have seen many people perform press checks wrong especially the one handed but they can be useful if you know what your looking at (the chambered round /rounds left in magazine ) and have enough light to see but it all comes down to personal preference I knew a guy that could run through four 15 round mags conduct fte/ftf drills and reload drills with rounds left in each mag and tell you exactly how many were left in each mag and how many rounds he shot total without thinking but that's just training so I say if the modification helps you be a better shooter then go for it IMHO that is

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BayouRat

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2012
    Luling
    What ever happen to, "Always assume every gun is loaded." I think I'll stick with the old fashion way and not drill into my old 1911. Eek. The though of that just makes me cringe.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    A well executed mod is a well executed mod, it does not matter who I did it. Now if you lack the ability to determine whether the mod was done properly you may think that it is important to know who did it. Having a well know gunsmith do a mod does not guarantee quality or correctness.

I would rather be able to determine whether the mod is done properly than know who did it. This usually requires intimate knowledge of the gun, the mod and the correct way to perform it. This knowledge is what I strive to possess. This line of reasoning may not be for everyone but I hope it sheds some light on reaftions and thought processes regarding the matter at hand.

I'm not talking about how well it's executed. I'm talking about whether or not Jimjoejimmybob's slick gun work will turn off prospective buyers or not.

Top Bottom