Adding a muffler to a portable gen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Ok, I have a collar welded to my current muffler / spark arrester and the flex hose with clamps. Now all I need is a muffler with a 2 1/4 od inlet.

Does anyone know where I can get a small car muffler cheap (like less than $30)?

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Motorcycle salvage shop/yard if any are available in your area or at a U-Pull-It salvage yard on the small imports. Another source is off of industrial engines when you are looking for small mufflers.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I think you're saying that the auto muffler is okay when attached to the factory spark arrester (which is left in place) and is less restrictive than it is. Am I correct, or am I confusing 2 different posts.?

If it is correct, how does one determine restriction levels?

It would generally be less restrictive, yes. As to how to really tell, without a flow meeter, it is all a WAG (Wild Assumptive Guess)

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Ok, I have a collar welded to my current muffler / spark arrester and the flex hose with clamps. Now all I need is a muffler with a 2 1/4 od inlet.

Does anyone know where I can get a small car muffler cheap (like less than $30)?

Just about any muffler shop can help you. That's where I got mine.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Done. I found one at O'reilly Auto Parts for $22.99. I have everything hooked up but can't test until tonight. Watching the little one!

I will post my experience later. One suggestion... Work from the Muffler back the gen. I welded the collar on the gen then bought the muffler. If I would have worked backward I could have avoided adding a collar to join the flex to the muffler inlet. I will share pics later.

Last edited:

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Ok, I'm finished with this project. Overall it sounds like it makes a positive difference and works. I wish I had a decibal meter to get an accurate impact. Anyhow, it only cost me $40. See finished product. OH, the muffler gets really hot. I know that's a given but I only ran it maybe 5 min and yes it gets hot...

9ryyzxczfiz9rw6mkneq.jpg

xn3h00jtpa94vjte0zrz.jpg

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Before I bought a better gen that runs quite, I built a two panel wall that was hinged. I put it in front of the gen and it deflected the sound . The wall was made out of some scrap wood (2x's plywood0 from my shop. I used the hinges so it would fold flat and take up less room to store.

I'm doin this now, it is a help , I don't know enough about the specific airflow requirements of a generator to start increasing back pressure blindly ...mufflers and exhaust systems are way misunderstood IMO...they are a major factor in the performance and life of an internal combustion engine

But hey.........thats jus me

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    Did the same thing to run my RV on some land that I own (No water or power) and I ended up taking it off because the origional muffler was getting too hot for me to leave it alone comfortably (right next to the gas tank). I ended up putting up a partition made up of three pieces of plywood in a half octagon between the generator and my RV. Worked ok i guess.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I talked to a couple mechanics about this, and the prevailing opinions are

a) you have to take off the original muffler before you try to attach the replacement, and

b) an unrestricted exhaust gives the best engine efficiency. This seems to translate into "the more muffler, the less efficiency."

I think you're right that the best noise mitigation is a vented box inside of which the generator runs.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    A big box would be a whole lot easier. It requires very little mechanical expertise, and it has the added advantage of doubling as the outdoor shelter your generator's going to need anyway.

Jguid54

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Lake Charles
    If i ever buy a generator it will be one of those super quiet honda's...on game days you see them everywhere but can't hear them. maybe find one of those and inspect the muffler's size, shape, design and depending on the displacement differences in your generators and the honda build/choose a muffle around that size.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    my dad has a 6.5k honda and yes, it was worth every penny vs the generators i have/have had.

$3000? Holy ****! I guess your dad must have some special needs to be willing to spend that kind of money on it.

I use mine less than five times per year. I have things I consider more important to spend money on (like my daughter's education) than on something I use so infrequently. I suppose it's all about what your priorities and needs are.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    he picked his up for $1500 from a guy who put 3 hours on it. Would I pay 3k for one? Most likely not unless I used it everyday. Would I pay $1500 for it, heck yes.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    he picked his up for $1500 from a guy who put 3 hours on it. Would I pay 3k for one? Most likely not unless I used it everyday. Would I pay $1500 for it, heck yes.

Sadly no one else is ever likely to see such a price again. Specially now that the economy is recovering, I doubt we're ever going to see desperation prices again. Makes me think I should have got more stuff while the prices were down.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom