Advantage Group Gear Thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goteron

Unity Tactical
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I had a few questions at the last class on some of the gear I used / owned. I thought I might post up some info. I am not an expert on any of this stuff. I have tried it, and owned quite a lot of gear, this is what works for me. Do your own research, don't use something just because someone else does. I am a low speed civilian. There is so much gear out there, it would make your head spin.

I would suggest identifying your needs and going from there. Truthfully I don't "Need" the majority of these things, but as a prepared civilian... I own them anyway.

I prefer to use the lightest / lowest profile gear I can. I try not to wear things to training that I wouldnt be wearing on any given day. Getting all "operator" for a class does me no good if I only put those things on for classes. I like being able to move quickly without gear flopping around or getting caught on everything in sight.

Clothes

• Pants - Vertx Mens Pant - Low profile, only 2 sunk in cargo pockets. Fits great, articulated knees and gusseted crotch. Cheaper and lighter / lower profile than Crye / Arcteryx.
    • Shirt - I prefer athletic wicking shirts, nothing "Tactical" as I wouldnt wear that normally
    • Shoes - Inov8 195s. Super light, I wear these everyday
    • Kneepads - Arcteryx Kneecaps - I just started using these. I believe they are the best deal going. Very small and light.
    • Gloves - Oakley Assaulter gloves - I have tried mechanix gloves with little success, I don't like the carbon knuckle guards on these, but the dexterity is great.
    • Ear Pro - Sordin Supreme Pro X w/ Gel Cups - Between these and peltor, I don't think there is another set of electronic hearing pro worth owning
    • Eye Pro - Aviators - I may try the smith optic "Aegis Echo" for eye pro when they are readily available. But I wear my aviators everyday, so It does make a difference
    • Watch - Always in flux, I rarely wear one now, but an Origo or Citizen if I do.

Load Carriage

1. TYR Gunfighter Belt - I just picked this up, but I think its "The way" for me. I went from a USGG belt to a Brokos to this. Uses an inner velcro belt and its very low-pro while still allowing you to mount MOLLE Pouches
    • US Grunt Gear Pistol Pouches - They retain well and the mouths stay open. Built to Last
    • FASTMag AR Mag Pouches - They are the quickest pouches I have used, and use them exclusively now
    • Very small First Aid Kit with TK4 TQ, Benchmade Cutter, and Dresssing - I need to find a new pouch for this... something lower profile.
    • Secret City Weaponeers Holster - Its the exact same holster I carry daily, so the angle, positioning, and drawstroke are identical. No reason to learn two ways to do things
    • I will probably add a Jetbeam BC10 and small knife to the belt setup, Just need to figure out a good way to do it.

dd7c5efb.jpg

2. Mayflower R&C Low Profile Carrier - The best deal going for civilian armor, extremely configurable, lightweight, can be a soft armor only, plate only, or both carrier. As well as dock a chest rig
    • 3A Concealment Cut Soft Armor - Great for handgun threats, I have the lightweight, thin armor
    • Velocity Lvl 4 Standalone Boron Carbide Shooter / Swimmer cut plates - 7lbs per plate, offers increased mobility, only double curve, but still comfortable
    • Mayflower Swiftclip Kit - To dock their chest Rig

3. Mayflower R&C Chest Rig - Can be used as a standalone chest rig or docked to the carrier, light and the perfect size. I generally don't like chest rigs, they are heavy, slow to load from, and cumbersome. I try to backfill my belt pouches from it instead of load from it.
    • USGG Pistol Pouches - See Above
    • FASTMag rifle Pouches - See Above
    • TQ on centerline - Easy access with both hands, out of the way
    • OSOE Micro IFAK Pouch with Advantage Group IFAK contents.

6fa31d4f.jpg

Helmet
    • Opscore Ballistic - I sold my FAST helmet, waiting on a ballistic now. Its the most comfortable / stable setup around.
    • Norotos INVG PVS-14 Mount - Stows the PVS in the lowest profile available
    • ITT Gen 3 PVS-14 - Works great, dont want to spend $21k on PVS-21s - I dont need them that bad.
    • OSOE Helmet Ballast - With a MS2000 Strobe and OSOE Battery insert
    • Surefire M620v Light - Both white and IR, direct mounted

Carbine

2ad5392d.jpg

1. LWRC Lower - A quality lower that I SBR'd before I knew better about LWRC. Its quality and within spec (Ive actually checked)
    2. DD Upper - The best upper in the business IMO. They check every detail to a T.
    3. DD CHF 10.5" Barrel - Again, CHF quality barrel, when it wears out, I will replace it
    4. Troy TRX Extreme 9" Rail - I prefer tube rails, they are easier for me to grab, lighter weight, and I dont need rails anywhere else except the top
    5. DD BCG - Again, high quality, excellent QC, and vetted
    6. Extra Power Extractor Spring with Blue buffer- To Aid in extraction for a dirty gun, out of spec brass, etc
    7. Vltor A5 with VLTOR Buffer and Spring - I previously was an A5 hater, but it does actually work, and doesnt cost much more than a quality Receiver extension - When this spring wears out, will probably go to a CS Flatwire Spring
    8. Magpul MOE Stock - Lightweight, Low profile, I don't need the friction lock, and use a Receiver Sling mount, so cheaper than the CTR
    9. Noveske QD End Plate - Excellent design, Steel, and I prefer a receiver connection for the sling
    10. Magpul MOE + Grip - I like the grip angle and profile. The rubber help keeps my hand in position when wet / slippery. If the rubber wears off, I will go to a MOE and stipple it.
    11. BAD 45 Degree Throw Safety - Its quicker to get back on safety for transitions, carbine movement behind cover, running, etc. It also has a more positive feel than any other safety I have used.
    12. Gunfighter Charging Handle - I prefer the medium latch, its easier for me to grab with gloves, and stronger than the aftermarket latches available. I havent had it snag yet, but am on the lookout
    13. Geiselle SSA trigger - A great combat grade 2 stage trigger, the only one I would trust, non-adjustable, and just easier for me to shoot than a GI single Stage
    14. Magpul Bad Lever - Its quicker for me to drop the bolt, and hold it open during malfunction drills. It has not affected the operation of the gun as its setup now, if it did, even 1 time, I would lose it.
    15. Magpul Gen 2 MBUS BUIS - Lightweight, low profile, quick to deploy, and cheap. I like that they collapse when put under pressure. They hold zero, and I don't feel the need for the Troys, although they are bomber
    16. Aimpoint T-1 4moa - Very lightweight, long battery life, and a good dot. High reliability. I usually keep it brighter than most people for quicker acquisition agaisnt contrasted targets. I may give a good 1-6 or Eotech a try on the timer. The T-1 is the fastest optic I have run in close. I can make good hits to 200. I would only want magnification for target ID or really precise shots. Im a civilian, so magnification doesnt really make a whole lot of sense.
    17. Larue 660 Mount - The best T-1 mount in existence. Return to 0, though I never take it off, lightweight, and QD
    18. Surefire M300a Mini-Scout - Single Cell, small, light, and best mounting system. Accepts surefires excellent pressure switches
    19. Mount-n-slot Scout Mount - As close as direct mounting as I can get, light, and I can mount it at 11 o'clock forward
    20. LDI Class 1 OTAL IR Laser - A very simple to use interface, I don't need an illuminator, light, small, its direct mounted
    21. Surefire SR-D-IT Dual Pressure Pad - Works for both light and laser, allows me to keep overhand grip and prevent white light ND's
    22. Mount-n-Slot Flush Sling Cup - Light, and very low profile, Rotation limited, works great with the TRX
    23. Magpul MOE VFG - Light, easy to direct mount (With modification) and works well with the TRX. Plenty strong. Works as a handstop when shooting, and perfect support for odd shooting positions
    24. Mount-n-slot hand stop - To keep from shooting myself in the hand with a short barrel, direct mounting, lightweight, and low profile
    25. AAC Blackout - A great flash-hider, required for suppressor. Not loud like a brake.
    26. VTAC Sling - Adjusted, cut to length. Excellent quick adjustments, can be used as a shooting and carriage sling.
    27. Magpul PMAGS or Lancer AWM5 Mags - Cheap, work well, and not metal
    28. AAC Mini-4 Suppressor - THe lightest weight, shortest can on the market (AAC anyway). No blowback, only 14 ounces, and adds 3 inches past the FH. Suppression isnt #1 for me, but no back-pressure is huge

Pistol - I don't own anything other than 2 of these anymore, well except a Kahr CM9 for gym shorts carry.

Pistol.jpg

1. S&W M&P 9 Full Size - I like nearly everything better about it over a Glock and shoot it better
    2. Trijicon RMR Direct Milled into slide - RM02 8MOA LED non adjustable - I only shoot red dots on pistols now
    3. Ameriglo Suppressor Height BUIS - Just incase
    4. Streamlight TLR-3 - No wider than the frame, 100 Lumen output. I carry with this light
    5. Apex FSS Kit - A great improvement over the stock trigger in every way
    6. Apex RAM - Not really required, but I have it anyway
    7. 10-8 Baseplates - Easier to strip out, less prone to breakage
    8. Stippled Grip - Better control
    9. Storm Lake Threaded Barrel - Slightly more accurate, gives me ability to mount a can
    10. Apex FRE & +10% Spring - To keep great extraction and reliable feeding.

I think that is it for now. If you have a specific question, please don't hesitate to ask. I am fairly well cemented in my gear and hope I won't need to change anything. Though I will be changing my AR mag holders over to our new design when it comes out later this year.

marinetaco01

Nov 13, 2011
    Madsionville, LA
    When I got back to mi casa after the carbine class I got rid of my Magpul AFG. Would you think running a stubby VFG would work well as a hand stop, or would you think that running a dedicated hand stop would work better? I'm thinking about going the hand stop route just to be lower profile.

I would like something that will help me drive the rifle better and i don't feel the AFG was getting the job done.

Thanks for sharing your load out.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    A full blown VFG has a lot of other uses beyond an indexing point. I would at least use a stubby VFG instead of a hand stop. I used AFG's for a while, but always kept coming back to VFGs.

InterstateGuns

Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Trent,

Elaborate on "other usages" for the AFG if you don't mind. All I envision is a tactical toilet paper holder in the field.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    Trent,

Elaborate on "other usages" for the AFG if you don't mind. All I envision is a tactical toilet paper holder in the field.

I have used mine to grab a ladder, stabilize a rifle off a barricade, brain an Afghan SF dude, pull a Fast Rope Closer, and hook onto a Little Bird Pod Seat.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    For civilians, barricade support, and grabbing things are probably paramount. It's great for broke back prone, single handed barricade support, and alternate shooting positions.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    For civilians, barricade support, and grabbing things are probably paramount. It's great for broke back prone, single handed barricade support, and alternate shooting positions.

I dont know anything about the Broke Back part but I agree with everything else. I also believe that with a VFG it gives your body the optimum body position and complete control of the weapon.

ETA: YMMV

JWG223

Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Do you feel that the 1-4X optics have a place on a "general use" carbine around the house/acreage, or do you think that an RDS will "do anything that needs doing"?

I played the "fixed power of not 1X" game--and I did not like it. You were 100% right, there.

*ETA*

Sorry, I thought I was in the other thread. Feel free to move/delete/however this post.

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I am still on the variable kick and likely will be until I spend a lot of time with a Z6i. The magnification is a really nice feature, not only for shot placement, but recognition, scanning, etc.

If you can be nearly as fast with a 1-x as you are up close with a RDS, can shoot from all of the same alternate shooting positions, are as quick on transition and movement drills, and don't mind the added weight, the 1-x seems to be the way to go. I need to evaluate more for my needs.

Top Bottom