Advice for 43 year old eyes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I was unsure to post this here or in “Lights & Optics” and chose here because I thought I might get more response.

I’m 43 years old and my eyes are starting to go. About 2 years ago, I noticed it was getting hard to read the date on my watch. Today, I can’t see it without glasses!

I love shooting bench rest with optics and feel like it is even affecting me with being able to see through my scope. I was hoping for some advice to help take a lot of the guess work and experimentation out of what I’m about to go through in the very near future. My main concern is this: I’m about due for a new pair of glasses and want to make sure I tell the optometrist what I’m looking for. As it is, all I need are reading glasses but, do notice a slight weakness in my long range sight.

I live in the New Orleans area and was wondering if anyone knows of any optometrists who may be shooters in my area and would know exactly what I’m looking for in glasses. At this point, I have no clue what to expect and would like some suggestions in helping me with my fading vision.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    There is something new for open sight rifle shooters. You correct for distance and this lens puts BOTH the front sight AND the target in focus. Some top notch service rifle competitors have tested it and gave very positive reviews. Google Microsight

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    My wife had lasik at 41yrs old and it has worked out fine for her. Dont know if its an option but a few years of glasses, contacts, and dr. visits its much cheaper in the long run.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I also have gotten lasik and it's the best decision thus far. After a decade of glasses, it is still surprising sometimes to wake up and not have to reach for them. It has been 6 years since the operation. Sight is still good so far.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    I had lazik also. It has been a year and a month since I've had it done. 3 months ago, I finally stopped reaching to take off the glasses at night and reach for them in the morning.

I'm not sure how it has affected my long range (100 yds, lol), but my pistol shooting seems to have improved.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Your balls....eyeballs.....start "hardening" after 40. I had Lasik at 37 and had to get glasses (again) 6 years later. You may be different if you take better care of yourself than me. My diet sucks donkey balls.
    I need to check with some more eye docs. These progrssive lenses suck.
    As far as shooting with optics, I don't use vision correcting lenses. Open sight require that I have the spectacles on.

Top Bottom