Advice for a mistake buy!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwampDog35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    I need a little help with a purchase I made on GunBroker. I have a Ruger Mini 14 tactical that I purchased before Christmas. I brought it to my range on the past couple of visits and have found it not to be as accurate as an AR type platform. Also my daughter goes to the range with me quite frequently and she has a hard time holding the gun up. It's a little front heavy.

So I made a purchase on GunBroker and purchased a Smith&Wesson MP15. However I didn't read the fine print and just saw a sweet price. After reading the fine print and actually putting the part number on SW website. I found that I purchased a MP15 Sport. Have any of you all shot this weapon? I noticed it doesn't have a forward assist nor a Dust cover. Are these "niceties" or requirements? I suppose I can change it over to a .22 upper and give it to my daughter

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    If all you're doing is shooting it at the range, the dust cover and forward assist probably won't be missed.

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    I wouldn't worry about it...if its not a SHTF weapon and it is range or plinker rifle then no prob

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I've never used a forward assist, ever. If the uppers I've bought had the option of not having one I would have gone that route. I'm pretty sure I've never closed the dust cover on any of my ARs either. The dust cover has merit, but only for dudes that will be carrying their rifle for extended periods of time in rough environments.

SwampDog35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Thank you guys for all the advice. I just can't learn any life lessons......that I actually live by is what is sad.... "You get what you pay for in life" Lessons learned. Thanks again.

ABNsurveyor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Polk area
    I tapped the forward assist once in 22 years in the Army (due to operator error) and never on any of my civilian ARs. They use to teach SPORTS when you had a malfunction: Slap the mag, Pull the charging handle, Observe the chamber for anything stuck in there, Release the charging handle, Tap the forward assist, Shoot. When we were doing pre-deployment Transition Team training at Fort Riley, KS back in 2008 the drill was Slap, Rack, Shoot: Left hand Slap the mag, left hand Rack the charging handle all the way to the rear while moving your head just enough to keep from smacking yourself, Shoot. The forward assist is obsolete. When (if ever) was the last time you saw a forward assist (or a dust cover) on a battle rifle other then the M16/M4 or civilian AR?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have a light weight slick side upper, it doesn't have a forward assist, dust cover or even a brass deflector. I haven't had any issues with it, but the rifle has probably only seen 500 rounds or so.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Yes, just keep the rifle and chock up the experiance. Later on when you can swing it, buy a complete upper and swap them out. If you're on the northshore, i'll be happy to swap them out for you for no cost.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    A few peeps have already well covered the AR and I agree.

As to the Ruger, those have long suffered from barrel whip which causes the inaccuracy issue. But Ruger has supposedly improved on them. Don't know how but I'm guessing a newer barrel. Might be worth a try to get in touch with them and see if the barrels are interchangeable and if they'd do it. I've had great success with their customer support and it never costs much IMO. My dad sent a nasty looking blackhawk back to them that he'd bought from someone years back. And let me tell you, it looked like it had been kept in a tackle box or on the floorboard of a work truck for a few years. He told me they charged him 40 bucks to reblue the pistol and they installed the safety update kit while they had it. What he got back was a pristine looking pistol with the same old nasty looking grips, which he replaced with some hogues. Ruger doesn't offer a warranty on their products but they do excellent in their efforts to repair their products.
    I'd definitely give them a try

Last edited:

SwampDog35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Yes, just keep the rifle and chock up the experiance. Later on when you can swing it, buy a complete upper and swap them out. If you're on the northshore, i'll be happy to swap them out for you for no cost.

I believe I will be doing just as you said and keeping the M&P. From quite a few YouTube video's I have watched about the weapon. It seems to be a pretty reliable firearm.

Thanks again to everyone that has offered advice. I greatly appreciate it.

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    My brother bought one about a year ago and loves it never had an issue with it and says it very accurate. I shot a couple of times and like it also. I hope yall enjoy it

daybreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    You're likely never going to bring it toe the deserts of the Middle East, so not having a dust cover is no big deal. And who needs a forward assist anyway.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    I've never used the forward assist on my government-issued M-16 or my own AR-15. I'd actually prefer NOT having a forward assist on my AR. I agree with others on the dust cover; unless you're in an extremely harsh environment, you'll probably never need it nor will you miss it.

The sporter is a nice rifle and I'd hold onto it, if I were you. You could have done a lot worse... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SwampDog35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies.

I have decided to keep it. Learn from previous mistakes and move on. I will probably end up giving it to my daughter to shoot and or keep for her long term. Seeing she enjoyes shooting.

Thanks again to all that have helped. I can't wait to put the Red Dot on it and zero it.

Happy shooting to all!

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Thanks for all the replies.

I have decided to keep it. Learn from previous mistakes and move on. I will probably end up giving it to my daughter to shoot and or keep for her long term. Seeing she enjoyes shooting.

Thanks again to all that have helped. I can't wait to put the Red Dot on it and zero it.

Happy shooting to all!

That was what I was originally wanting when I was looking for an AR. I ended up with an Armalite, and I'm not sad about it, but I do still love the M&P's.

Top Bottom