Advice for next scope

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I am looking for advice for a better scope for my rifle. I’m about to spend around $1200.00 to re-barrel, cut the chamber & true up the action on my 700P rifle and am looking at getting a good scope for my rifle. When I bought the rifle, I bought a low end scope for about $400.00 to get me started at the 100 to 200 yard range while I developed a good load for it am now at the point where I feel the rifle and scope are holding me back.

My scope is supposed to be in .1 mil clicks, so I put up a range pole with 1’ marks on it and set it at 300 yards. If my calculations are correct, 33 clicks should have brought the crosshair up 36” at 300 yards, but it only came up about 33”. I didn’t bother calculating the MOA’s it’s off, but all I know is it looks to me like the click values are off. I know, I know, this is what I get for buying a cheap scope, but it’s all I could afford at the time to get me started and has definitely served it’s purpose.

Here is the advice I’m looking for. If I’m going to sink $1200.00 into the rifle and another 1 to 2K for a scope, this time, I want to make sure to get the perfect scope and would like everyone’s advice on the scope, reticle, power and click adjustment values. I have looked at the NightForce scopes and see they have a new reticle called the “Ballistic” scope that is somewhat custom for caliber/load of a particular rifle. My rifle is .308win. and am looking to be able to shoot to the rifle’s max distance. Another question is this…Even with high end scopes, how accurate are the click adjustments at the longer ranges and how much consideration should I put into this when getting my next scope? My fear is so many scopes can be so overated and a waste of money when I can actually get a better scope for less.

I still consider myself very new to long range shooting and therefore, am completely open to any criticism and suggestions. Please give me your suggestions so I can hopefully get the perfect scope this go-around.

Thanks!

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Have you read the sticky at the top of this forum? Barney88pdc put down some awesome information on the choices that YOU have to make that differentiate top glass from one another. Optics are one place where you rarely hear someone wishing that they had spent less or don't feel as if they got their money's worth. There are different options though that you may wish you had gone for. For example, do you want a FFP scope for fast target aquisition and ranging, or a SFP scope for fine detail aiming at high magnifications. Reticle choices are also just as important. Why spend $1000-$2000 to limit the scope to one particular load in one particular caliber? My scopes get moved from one rifle to another over the years and I'd be really bummed if I bought a scope set up to shoot 175smks and halfway through the barrel life I wanted to start shooting 185 bergers. If you shoot one caliber with one load that much you'll learn your dopes by heart out to the distances you shoot soon enough. Till then, there's pen and paper.

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    1 Mil = 3.6" at 100 yards. If your scope is in .1Mil/click then 1 click is .36" at 100,

33 clicks x 3 (for 300 yards) x .36" = 35.64"

Now basically a 2.5" difference at 300 is not much. One your zero could be off. Two your ballistics chart could be slightly wrong. Or your velocity could be different.

Basically it sounds like the scope may not be the issue. Although it could.

So tell use the following and it would narrow down suggestions.

1. What type if shooting do you plan to do. Just known distance shooting at rifle ranges (one distance at a time) or unknown distance shooting in tactical style matches (multiple distances in the same string of fire).

2. How much do you want to spend?

3. Do you want a FFP or SFP retical?

4. Do you prefer MOA or MIL? Either works just match the retical and turrets!

ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    1 Mil = 3.6" at 100 yards. If your scope is in .1Mil/click then 1 click is .36" at 100,

33 clicks x 3 (for 300 yards) x .36" = 35.64"

Now basically a 2.5" difference at 300 is not much. One your zero could be off. Two your ballistics chart could be slightly wrong. Or your velocity could be different.

Basically it sounds like the scope may not be the issue. Although it could.

So tell use the following and it would narrow down suggestions.

1. What type if shooting do you plan to do. Just known distance shooting at rifle ranges (one distance at a time) or unknown distance shooting in tactical style matches (multiple distances in the same string of fire).

2. How much do you want to spend?

3. Do you want a FFP or SFP retical?

4. Do you prefer MOA or MIL? Either works just match the retical and turrets!

Ritten, I think I have to agree with you about limiting my scope to one load. Once you said that, it made me think that I would much rather have a versatile scope.

Barney88PDC, I think I may need to clear up what I meant about setting the range pole at 300 yards. I did this without taking a shot. I set up a 1”x4”x10’ board with 1’ marks on it at 300 yards away then set the rifle in a vice and adjusted the vice to line up the horizontal crosshair with the 5’ mark on the board. Leaving the rifle in the vice, I turned the turret 33 clicks in the “UP” direction which should have put the horizontal crosshair on the 2’ mark on the board. Instead, it was a couple of inches above it which is why I’m saying the click values must be off.

I’m definitely more interested in tactical style shooting. To me, there’s something intriguing about making shots at unknown distances rather than shot after shot at a known distance because it’s more real life. It’s kind of like drag racing compared to NASCAR. In drag racing, you basically stomp on the pedal and see how fast you can go in a certain distance. With NASCAR, there are so many more variables such as fuel, tire wear, tire air pressure, track bar adjustments, track debris, other divers crashing into you, & etc.

Ritten, Thanks so much for telling me about Barney88PDC’s sticky on optical selection!

Barney88PDC, Thanks so much for taking the time to post the sticky! After reading the entire article, I seem to be leaning toward a mil/mil FFP scope. After spending the money on my rifle, I’m willing to spend between 1k & 2k on the scope and believe that the most expensive scope may not be the best. I sincerely believe some scopes are way over priced when you can get something just as good, or better than the most expensive brands. When it comes right down to it, I think this is my main concern.

Well, now that I have clarified my intentions, maybe this may help you all with suggestions.

Thanks!

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Fill out your profile with a location and someone in your area may have something you can look through. I have NF, Premier and S&B all FFP MIL/MIL if you are near me. With your price range I would look at NF or Vortex.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Antho88
    Top Bottom